Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Sheep pict thread

Sheep! I love sheep!

2006 Idaho Rocky Mtn Bighorn. Probably the smallest ever taken. After 28 days, I was sicker than a dog, and out of time. Thrilled to get this little guy. Hopefully, I'll get another chance to hunt California or RM bighorn in another state.
101_0501.jpg

2007 Idaho Mtn Goat. This fella fell with a couple hundred yards of the ram from the year prior.
GH_0007.jpg

2008 AK Dall. Perfect hunt. Took this guy on the 7th day.
P8153406.jpg

Last edited:
scan0043-1.jpg

Doc Tom glassing for rams in Montana's Cabinet Wilderness. After a tough 7 day backpack hunt we finally found the rams and Tom shot a nice one on October 8th. The year was 1989.

I have a few...although not nearly enough.

My Dads MT ram a couple days before we shot him:

IMG_0693.JPG

The same ram, scored 183 3/8:

IMG_0763.JPG

Heres a ram I helped a good friend with several years ago in Montana...good time.

The ram is 10 years old and over 40 on both horns...scores 179 net. There were two good rams in the herd, completely opposite type rams. This one that Tom killed and another older ram that was broomed heavily. The broomed ram was killed the next year in the same drainage and was 13 year old. Tom and I discussed the scores on the two rams while we glassed them at 130 yards and decided they were within a couple inches of each other, but Tom liked the unbroomed ram the best. The official score on the broomed ram was right at 180 net. We both felt pretty good about our field judging on those two rams.

tomsram2.jpg

Another look:

tomsram3.jpg

Ram I killed in Alaska in 1995. The heavy bases on the ram tricked everyone on the score and length...didnt think it would score near what it did. Ended up being 164 4/8 net and over 40 inches on the long horn.

dall4.JPG

Nice flat sheep country:

Dallsheep.tif.jpg

Another look:

buzzsheep.JPG

Heres a picture of two dead rams Dan Montgomery found along with three his clients took. The largest winterkill on the left is a net B&C ram around 172, the second is 169 also a winter kill, followed by my ram at 167 green, a 163 ram killed by another of Dans clients, and the last ram on the right is 160, killed by a buddy of mine. The "short" ram in the bunch has a long horn of 39 1/2 all the rest are over 40 on at least one horn.

fiverams.JPG

Buzz, was your ewe killed in the same unit your buddy Tom's ram was?

My Sheep

The hunt took place in the brooks, unguided.After making sure my partner got his first ram, I was able to pass judgement on meny others.
One night I returned to the spike camp pretty well spent. My partner, who didn't have a spotting scope says "I've been watching this white rock "
Out came my spotter and confirmed a big Ram. Jack O'connor once said "you'll know it when you see one "
This guy was flared and huge. Time was about 8PM. I decided I was too tired and short of daylight to go. The next morning fog had set in and only half the mountain was visible.About 1:30PM the fog lifter and after watching feed for a half hour he bedded. Wow, I can get him and off I go.
The climb went well as a snowsqall started in. Quess what, I outclimbed him. When I peaked over the yardage seemed like about 300. I didn't have a rangefinder. Although I had faith I could make the shot, I elected to drop down and take him from about 100 yards. As I mentioned earlier it had started to snow. When I looked again he was up and walking away.I made the decision I didn't want a "texas" heart shot and he would likely be in the next draw out of the storm.
I hunt for him the next 5 hours coming up on 2 rams about 70 yards from me but the big could not be found.
Each of the next 4 days were spent looking for him. One day I saw 4 rams one of which was a dandy. after looking them over and judging the biggest at about 38" I could not get that huge one out of my mind.
Finally, the last day came. I told my partner that morning I would try and find the 4 rams.
With luck on my side I found them. I was hanging on a rock face with one hand when they appeared.
How can I shoot I asked myself. What if I fall when I let the rock go?
Heck I'm here to kill this ram whatever happens- happens.
As I lifted my 270 I felt my right foot slip. Quickly I was on the ram. Bang, down he comes. Oh heck he's coming at me. A quick scramble and he missed me or I missed him. Voila, the Sheep was mine. Of the six rams I've taken he's my best. 39 1/2 on the right and broomed to 36 on the left.

Attachments

• 100_0167.jpg
    100_0167.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 1,452
New picture

I decided the picture I enclosed didn't do justice so I took a couple this morning.

Attachments

• DCP_3425.jpg
    DCP_3425.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 1,455
When I am bankrupt, divorced and homeless because of this thread................I am gonna be knocking on BR's door for a place to sleep:).

Sheep Ninja!!! Just out of my throwing star range.

001_1.jpg

002_2.jpg

P1000123.jpg

Probably my favorite hero shot of all time.

019_19.jpg

040_40.jpg

It was a very good day.

DSC00066.jpg

Certainly not a hunt I would have thought I would have been on 10 years prior

DSC00074.jpg

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member