Sheep pict thread

scan0033-5.jpg

This pic was given to me by Duncan Gilchrist...on the back it said: Picked up from Spences Bridge, B.C. 49 6/8". Another pic I cherish given to me by an "old schooler".

I believe this ram was hit and killed, on the highway the same day. I heard there have been 4 mature rams killed on the highway there this year.

Attachments

• sheep 001 edited.jpg
    sheep 001 edited.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1,331
I drove by there this morning and there were about 40 right in and next to the road. 10 minutes later a truck plows into them killing 8. This happened about noon today. Guy claims the sun was in his eyes????....Damn shame!

Attachments

• sheep 017 edited.jpg
    sheep 017 edited.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,524
  • sheep 021 edited.jpg
    sheep 021 edited.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,731
Last edited:
BRI, thats an awful scene, any chance the guy was cited?

Great thread all, this has officially made me decide to try for a sheep tag this year.

Apparently they gave him a ticket for failure to obey a traffic sign (which is the electric "Caution Sheep Ahead" sign less than a mile from the scene). I heard the Montana Standard will run an article on it tomorrow. I spent about an hour with the FWP bio looking for any that may have been wounded and he mentioned they are open to suggestions on how to avoid these.

Here's a question for you all here...How would you feel if the FWP sold or auctioned off the heads of the rams and put the money into a fund for education, habitat or even to help on the cost of a solution to the problem? Or would they be better off on a wall in an FWP office?

I'd say auction them, thats what IDFG does with the vast majority of heads that it collects during a year. Sheep heads may be an exception here however.

What a waste. Pretty obvious something needs to be done. Same thing happens every year between plains and t-falls.

Is it a migration thing or are they just eating the road salt?

Why not a fence if they are just eating the road salt?

Don't have permission to post the pictures, but I held a ram last night that was killed a few days ago in NM. It only has 14 3/8" bases, but still grosses over 184! It's 39 and change long, and the third quarter measurements are over 11"!

I might have to win the CO statewide tag this year....

It's a great tag Oak...I had it in 1997 and took what was really the only truly huge trophy animal I ever wanted...a dream come true and more than anyone could ever ask for or be entitled to.

Attachments

• Bighorn1.jpg
    Bighorn1.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 1,146
  • Bighorn2.jpg
    Bighorn2.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 1,252

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44