PEAX Equipment

Shed Antler Season Closed Jan 1 - April 30 (Colorado)

Did I say stash? I meant to say I didn't touch it and ran the other way. Semantics.

Even stashing the antlers or deadhead out of sight to pickup later is illegal. I discussed with a warden I know, he told me he found some guys with a hidden stash and gave them the choice of either getting a ticket or carrying all the antlers back to where they found them, they put them all back while he watched.

Wyoming also just passed a new shed collection area law. Basically they changed the area boundary to include the Madres and Snowies. Anyone wanting to shed hunt Wyoming this spring should review the new articles on the G&F website. I’d imagine with the new boundary in place the wardens will be keeping a close eye on recreational activity before May 1.

Not to muddy the waters, but to muddy the waters...there is the notion running around that the WYGF is on the cusp of killing off a chitload of mule deer bucks, and perhaps mule deer in general, to control CWD.

Lots of regulations sometimes leave me scratching my head, shed antler seasons being one.

Don't want to let shed hunters to pick up an antler, because it possibly, maybe, perhaps could stress a deer on winter range, but we're fine killing the hell out of them to control cwd...
Which WONT control or stop or limit cwd. Such a stupid idea.

I went for a walk this last weekend also, saw a shed, picked it up and put it in my boys pack. Posted it online, FB wardens proceeded to "educate" me. I encouraged them to go back and read the regs again.

I went for a walk this last weekend also, saw a shed, picked it up and put it in my boys pack. Posted it online, FB wardens proceeded to "educate" me. I encouraged them to go back and read the regs again.

How so? What was special about that instance?

With the lack of detail in your post it’s hard to understand how you were following or not following the refs.

With the lack of detail in your post it’s hard to understand how you were following or not following the refs.
Possession of antlers or horns on public lands west of I-25 from January 1 through April 30 is prohibited.

I assume this is what he's alluding to...

As a Minnesotan... that's crazy that you're not allowed to pick up sheds outside of the "season" I'd be pretty bummed out if I was hiking and found a shed then had to leave it there...

Possession of antlers or horns on public lands west of I-25 from January 1 through April 30 is prohibited.

I assume this is what he's alluding to...
Correct! I could have also mentioned I was still elk hunting too! Boy, what a can of worms that would open.

Not to muddy the waters, but to muddy the waters...there is the notion running around that the WYGF is on the cusp of killing off a chitload of mule deer bucks, and perhaps mule deer in general, to control CWD.

I remember when Wisconsin tried that. It went real well . . . :oops:

They like to enforce it in WY
On the flip side, it's pretty well understood that the game wardens aren't going to go out of their way to enforce this rule and unless you are being a total knucklehead, they are never going to fine someone for picking up a random shed

Then ticket and prosecute them under existing State Statute and regulations regarding wildlife harassment...all states have harassment laws.

I can hike, ATV, birdwatch, trap, shoot coyotes, hunt lions, hunt small game, fish, snowmobile, motorcycle, ski, snowshoe, go for a picnic, photograph, geocache, ice skate, camp...but shed hunters are the only recreationalists that ever come into contact with big-game...got it.
Don't forget the G&F flying for population counts and capture/collaring activities. Can't imagine that doesn't stress the game more than shed hunters.

Don't forget the G&F flying for population counts and capture/collaring activities. Can't imagine that doesn't stress the game more than shed hunters.

We had this happen while we were elk hunting (RFW tag in NW CO, season dates Jan 8-12). IF there had been elk on the property we would have been pretty pissed if the helicopter had driven them off. There were no elk on the property, so we were hoping the helicopter would chase some onto it, but that didn't happen. Another hunter told us he saw the heli circle a herd of elk 8 or 9 times, but they didn't move much - maybe they are used to it??

Maybe. I have heard that the flying doesn't bother them that much, because its for such a short amount of time. Not sure if I buy it though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back