Shed Antler Season Closed Jan 1 - April 30 (Colorado)

Don't forget the G&F flying for population counts and capture/collaring activities. Can't imagine that doesn't stress the game more than shed hunters.
My dad has volunteered helping them do some of that. He said there is a percentage that dies from the stress.

We had this happen while we were elk hunting (RFW tag in NW CO, season dates Jan 8-12). IF there had been elk on the property we would have been pretty pissed if the helicopter had driven them off. There were no elk on the property, so we were hoping the helicopter would chase some onto it, but that didn't happen. Another hunter told us he saw the heli circle a herd of elk 8 or 9 times, but they didn't move much - maybe they are used to it??

I used to work for the company that does almost all the helicopter capture work and a bunch of the helicopter survey work that CO does statewide. There are a bunch of mule deer projects going on in that part of the state and we usually catch about 20 or so elk every winter around Meeker and Craig. I would be very surprised if a helicopter doing work for the state would circle a herd that many times unless it was way up high and only doing a survey. When we survey elk they hardly ever even move since it is done from a distance purposefully so as to not stress the animals any more than necessary. Most survey work is done with light fixed wing aircraft as it is much cheaper and wildlife are typically less afraid of them than helicopters. The biologists were pretty careful to schedule our work to avoid ranches with late season hunts. There have been a few times where a good bit of time and money was wasted by moving us to another area for a day or two just to avoid messing up someones hunt. We don't always see people on the ground, but if we do, we will move on to somewhere else.

Now, when we are capturing animals there is no doubt that they are under significant stress during the capture and while they are being tested and collared. Fortunately for most of the projects it only takes 10-15 minutes for the whole process from the start of the chase to the animals release. Numerous studies have found that the short-term burst of high stress from a capture is way less detrimental to most wildlife than almost any other stress factor that affects them. Of course, some of them will be injured and some die during and after the capture, but each state has strict guidelines on what is acceptable capture mortality rates. I can't remember for sure, but I believe that CP&W will only allow up to 3% mortality before shutting a capture project down. So far, that has not happened yet as far as I know. All the guys that I have worked with or know in the wildlife capture business are pretty dedicated conservationists and care a lot about the animals that we are privileged to handle.

Honestly, I think the vast majority of shed hunters have very little impact on wildlife compared to all the other human activity that is going on out there. I do find it a bit sad how often I hear hunters complain about survey and capture work that is being done by fish and game agencies. I would think that most hunters want healthy wildlife populations that are managed using good science and an understanding of what is harming or helping those populations. Not that I agree with strict shed hunting laws, but comparing an activity that is done for fun and/or money on public lands to proven scientific wildlife management techniques is not in the same ballpark.

Here are some pics of us catching elk near Craig. Was the helicopter you saw one of these?
_mg_0556-2.jpg

DSC_9581.jpg

I used to work for the company that does almost all the helicopter capture work...

Was the helicopter you saw one of these?
I wasn't necessarily complaining about it and I have the privilege of knowing a CPW pilot and some of the biologists, so I know they aren't generally being reckless and disturbing people's hunts. As far as the heli circling the herd, that was just what another hunter told our RFW host/guide and she said she knew who it was (a local CPW employee). She called to complain, although, like I said, I don't think it actually had any effect on our hunt.

The heli I saw was smaller - maybe even single seat. As I recall, it was mostly white and had a tall rotor thingy, like this one:
1579704940460.png

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back