Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Randy Newberg on Matt Rinella's Podcast

People who live in Montana who complain about significant growth are kinda kidding themselves, I lived in Bozeman it doesn't even qualify, by definition, as a city it's a medium sized town.

Sure a lot of MT towns have double or tripled in size, but they haven't added 500k to 1MM people. MT/WY/AK etc are the least populated states in the nation. 5 Million people attended the parade after the cubs won the world series in 2016... but yeah Bozangeles :rolleyes: .

Entire point being there are just now a lot more people in the US and in the world and if folks like Randy aren't going to try their hardest to educate new comers to the sport them we are f-d.

Good luck overriding human nature and getting people to stop sharing their experiences... but you might have some luck get folks to be vocal about access, habitat protection, and management.
You been to Bozeman lately?

You been to Bozeman lately?
I have...

Austin TX, had like ~500,000 people in the metro area the year I was born, now it has 2,176,000.

It's been growing like +/- 3% a year since 2020.

Bozeman Metro was like ~20,000 people when I was born and is now like 100,000.

So percentage wise yes, growing way faster.

But 2% growth in a city of 2,0000,000 is a lot more than 10% in a town of 100,000.

Bozeman hasn't added a million people.

Austin added 10 Gallatin counties since 2010. The Denver metro area added 2,000,000 people since my dad was a kid.

Not the same thing.

But 2% growth in a city of 2,0000,000 is a lot more than 10% in a town of 100,000.
Sure. But you damn sure feel it more in the town of 100k.

I can't tell that Seattle (metro area) has grown in my life, despite it more than doubling. But I can damn sure tell you my hometown has another 1k people.

that same trend applies to hunting and fishing areas as well. Places with high pressure can add more, but it's not nearly as noticeable as places with very little pressure adding just a bit more.

Just trying to be sensitive, you midwesterner ass.
jkAvDEwnmj3uq1A01ZuTRg2Q4m8V5_v4y6_4qZHKJMYkGJcjDTB37peDG_LDHHOpMEgUaSmvOBN9QW_q_7ko5-ayyhbaARr577WuCw8QAE0vH1Nc-ZgDeOtMfXnBWSb-NIJoicPxjo_pmg2RZ6GpOUEDJeJuWFt4uta83Cgf50viCofWoxdR2TEHhPP7HnrWwLA3D3qzOrEjLi1mWtp5THLSsNRfYvMV2C8FBgs8Ym-2zfZ8luvJOBIwDF7cS2NiB5EbyoAOadyZudOd-C6RYXG6dFPTnV_Bb2qcCpD-806m92fs6XCEarHTgtXPHclwMPfc88RATzKjCJBnCZ7nuNAX_LSlXwgv9j5n6F3WLQ0li2ZcZFlcWGpn4ysEJca7FHGng7VZwy8MDdaWtMPdTM8fK4a9YDEtGo9CAcOlIEfYjaWmuN0t2Z1Wg5TCmSSdPCV7oWhrVP4aXw0g6EB1gn4570dxpKJdNZ_1NU829u8or4UVqOK7qhqJlB26s619wHBaEszpA3VbxX8ApyYcHNquryfk8vAqIcibpTBYibuLpPTa1wJNZk1nUxkIyGpcHwgAvNlwS3DS7ShXIxofzLZ_0wtm1yxeoh1vB1uuok7ZKOitl-onbRyvPJi0rYt0T5Q9zkY-tLjTEWlctf14TlcwDPDcnnjpMiAdB68dlKH0Oxfj5DvrryDTTUctBMcDXaullbMXxhjGYrm8zdIJ5YGRam8MBM2pxsFbdWAv8ni88FuILvyt_wwuM8F0=w507-h573-no

Haven't read the whole thread so apologize if this has already been mentioned as a potential factor for the anecdotal feeling of more hunter crowding and pressure.

Has the nature or way new hunters hunt changed in a significant percentage from old school road hunting to putting on a pack more?

A couple episodes before Randy on Matt's podcast is one with Rob cyberbully Shaul. Holy smokes the vitriol for hunting companies... goes on a little rant about hunting now being a sport and how ridiculous that people sell it as such...

and then the rub that he has his own "Mountain Fitness" company with hunting workouts.

You just mad that the hushin guys get more views brah?
1657747321918.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I have...

Austin TX, had like ~500,000 people in the metro area the year I was born, now it has 2,176,000.

It's been growing like +/- 3% a year since 2020.

Bozeman Metro was like ~20,000 people when I was born and is now like 100,000.

Bozeman hasn't added a million people.

Austin added 10 Gallatin counties since 2010. The Denver metro area added 2,000,000 people since my dad was a kid.

Not the same thing.
Obviously, but when you were in Bozeman last did you notice the sheer amount of Taco buses springing up everywhere? I got worms just last week from a Burrito Colorado Especial. Did you notice the staggering increase in lifted trucks covered in d-bag hunting stickers? How about the new Murdochs ranch supply store being built on Jackrabbit just 3 miles from the other one in Four Corners? They had to do it in order to support the droves of Yellowstone show fans on their pilgrimages. The faithful are wanting new duds cause you gotta look the part and we all know that show is reality. These are just some of the pain points associated with large scale growth, so even though it ain't a million it ain't stopping. Good times!

To add to this, the ability to use the internet to apply, in about 2-3 minutes per state, and to do so with only an application fee and associated plastic credit card has caused a spike as well.
You're a lot faster than me. Takes me about 20 minutes per state, maybe more, plus the time to verify with Randy if he and his crew will be applying in the same area as I plan to.

In your state, I've been really lucky with antelope permits. I've hunted 4 units. In the easiest to draw unit I first hunted in 2000 and 2005 and could draw with 0 points in the special. In 2010 Randy first hunted/filmed there. Odds were 100% with 1 point, and I think decent with 0 points. This year it took 5 in the special. Although it could be a total coincidence, I believe that unit's been hunt talked.

I do appreciate all Randy does, and although hunting's not my career, I still enjoy it a hell of a lot. It stings to see some places essentially turned into informercials on busy social media platforms. If you don't agree that it makes a big difference, well....

1657752653975.gif

You're a lot faster than me. Takes me about 20 minutes per state, maybe more, plus the time to verify with Randy if he and his crew will be applying in the same area as I plan to.

In your state, I've been really lucky with antelope permits. I've hunted 4 units. In the easiest to draw unit I first hunted in 2000 and 2005 and could draw with 0 points in the special. In 2010 Randy first hunted/filmed there. Odds were 100% with 1 point, and I think decent with 0 points. This year it took 5 in the special. Although it could be a total coincidence, I believe that unit's been hunt talked.

I do appreciate all Randy does, and although hunting's not my career, I still enjoy it a hell of a lot. It stings to see some places essentially turned into informercials on busy social media platforms. If you don't agree that it makes a big difference, well....

View attachment 229817
Don't disagree, but I can point you to an area where my friends from Arizona have hunted pronghorn 14 years in a row between 2003-2017. When they first hunted it tags were leftover for bucks and does. Then it was easy first choice for 10 years or so. Slowly doe tags became iffy, buck tags started taking a part of a point. Then a point, then more than a point. Randy never has hunted there and I've never seen that unit advertised. Rarely talked about on boards. Took 3 points for 100% odds this year.

I agree I exaggerated about how long it takes to apply, but in some states you can literally apply for the same areas from the previous areas with one click.

Very little doubt that ease of applications and very low cost to apply has cratered draw odds.

As with most issues it's a combination of lots of things.

Last edited:
Don't disagree, but I can point you to an area where my friends from Arizona have hunted pronghorn 14 years in a row between 2003-2017. When they first hunted it tags were leftover for bucks and does. Then it was easy first choice for 10 years or so. Slowly doe tags became iffy, buck tags started taking a part of a point. Then a point, then more than a point. Randy never has hunted there and I've never seen that unit advertised. Rarely talked about on boards. Took 3 points for 100% odds this year.

I agree I exaggerated about how long it takes to apply, but in some states you can literally apply for the same areas from the previous areas with one click.

Very little doubt that ease of applications and very low cost to apply has cratered draw odds.

As with most issues it's a combination of lots of things.
If that’s the same area you pointed me towards a decade or so ago I can’t imagine spending 3 points on it. It was fun but worth that wait, not to me

View attachment 229817
When I started hunting Wyoming in 2009, I figured based on the draw odds at that time I could hunt deer and antelope in my chosen units 2 of 3 years, and bulls every other. No specials. That held for deer for a few years, but this year I just squeaked in with 5 points, who knows when I might again. Antelope changed much quicker due to nasty winters. I started elk later and have still only drawn a general tag once so far.

The internet in general has made secrets dramatically harder to keep, and in my opinion they can't be kept for any length of time anymore. It can impact choices of places to live as much as hunting units. I'm doing my best to capitalize on the former while certain I'm not the cause of the county's growing pains either. I'm also certain western hunting would have changed if Randy and Steve hadn't jumped into the media game, and I'm personally glad their voices are in the mix.

Still hunting a certain place in WY, and still appreciate it.

A couple episodes before Randy on Matt's podcast is one with Rob cyberbully Shaul. Holy smokes the vitriol for hunting companies... goes on a little rant about hunting now being a sport and how ridiculous that people sell it as such...

and then the rub that he has his own "Mountain Fitness" company with hunting workouts.

You just mad that the hushin guys get more views brah?
View attachment 229806
I think his vitriol extends to all DIY NR hunters also.

How about the irony that the ONLY REASON, he even has a platform is because he is holding on to the coat tails of his brother. Who is exactly the type of hunting influencer he is railing against!!! Matt has literally done nothing to be heard, his last name is the only "credibility" he has. He may not like the profession Big Fin is in or the effects of it but at least Fin worked his ass off to create the platform, not profit from his brothers hard work! My last point is that Matt's poorly thought out argument is with the state biologists, not Randy. Go bitch to them and have them decrease tag allocations to NRs, I have zero problems with that as a NR. Okay one more point..... I've been working with high school kids for 15+ years and have also been a state sponsored Learn to Hunt instructor in Wisconsin that time and hunting is going to decrease in my opinion and kids live in the social media space and that's just the way it is. You can fight that all you want but the kid who we convince to hunt and loves it is the same kid who wants to show his adventure on social media.
Matt does have a Ph.D. in Rangeland Ecology and is fairly well published so he actually has done many things that have probably added value in some form or fashion to possibly a landscape you hunt in the Great Plains Ecosystem.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back