Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Randy Newberg on Matt Rinella's Podcast

I agree generally for your specific areas. Has leasing, hunting clubs, outfitter leasing increased or decreased? How about ATV use? Trail cams?

The 30K foot view, which I tend to base my observations on, is that things have not changed for the better. I also only provided a partial list of things that have caused the issues being discussed.

Do you think being able to apply for tags in about 2-3 minutes via the 'net has any kind of impact? You certainly remember the days of requesting an application booklet, having to front the money, and fill out a paper application.

The thing I absolutely agree with you on, is that hunters will not police themselves. As far as wildlife managers, if they are allowed to operate without the political "over-sight" some can be trusted to do the right thing. Problem is, they get pressure from a few landowners, their legislators and politically appointed Director to make decisions NOT in the best interest of the hunting public or wildlife.

This doesn't have to be the case, but hunter apathy and a lack of people willing to put in even miniscule effort into supporting their biologists and having their backs when poor decisions are handed down from on high, leaves us where we are.

Hunters don't work to oust the clowns making bad calls, they systematically vote them in to office over and over and over again. They do the same things and expect different results, there's a term for that.

Too few folks out there working on behalf of wildlife, habitat, and public lands to compete with the other influences working against all of that as well as hunting.

Until that changes, we're going to continue with being forced to just stop the worst of it and will likely lose ground. Takes money, takes time, and effort and most hunters won't contribute to any of it.

Wish it were different, but that's the reality.
On the Custer there was more outfitters by far, I think there is only two left now. On private hunting clubs are replacing the outfitters.
ATV, and Trail Cam are just part of a whole list of things that make us more efficient hunters and better equipped. If everyone had to hunt with the equipment I started out with in 78, most of our problems would be solved. Not going to happen, so we need to bite the bullet and cut back in other places.
No idea on the ease of buying a license, I am the guy that still buys his at the regional office and picks up a set of regulations on the way out the door.
I wish it was as easy as backing the biologist, against poor decisions handed down from on high. The problem is that many of the FWP employees are committed to opportunity no mater how much it costs. I have been with the groups that have tried to get a reduction in doe tags and heard the landowner tolerance counter argument and I have also been with landowner groups suggesting moving the deer season out of the rut and heard the sportsman want opportunity counter argument. Sometimes I think the two groups are being played against each other, hope that is not the case.

Influencers are nothing new, back when I started hunting it was Jack O'Conner, now it is Randy Newberg.

I joined a FB hunting group in New England to help me get the lay of the land and it's essentially a stream of grip and grins, occasionally there is a post that has some value, but it's mostly a brag board. I'm skeptical you can change that...

Every Bucksnort bar in the Midwest has a brag board. Every sporting good shop across the United States does the same.

Big buck contests in the radio, feature news stories about the local boy who bagged a boomer, etc.

We've just changed how we brag, not the actual behavior.

Yep. Local newspaper used to post a section on kids who killed their first deer every week of the season. Only difference is that nobody read the Roanoke Rapids Daily Herald.

Oh, and you have Joe Rogans acting like they're a kid that shot their first deer when they're an adult killing an elk on a private ranch.
Is jr losing it?
It seems like he’s gets blacked out like 2-3 times a week.
And wtf was he talking about when he said he did shrooms everyday for a week or month while he was getting cancelled?
And he smokes cigs.

Every Bucksnort bar in the Midwest has a brag board. Every sporting good shop across the United States does the same.

Big buck contests in the radio, feature news stories about the local boy who bagged a boomer, etc.

Exactly.

We did go from the brag board at the bar to leasing people back 40 for thousands a year... how did we end up here?
That's the money question in my mind, I think Matt is correct on some accounts.

On the flip side a dork from CO managed to roll up to MA and kill a buck, that per locals was a once in a decade buck back in the day, on public land 🤷‍♂️ Locals I've talked to were like oh cool, got 2 that size last season, good work.

Which is me clumsily trying to make the point that apparently, there have also been some big improvements.

Is jr losing it?
It seems like he’s gets blacked out like 2-3 times a week.
And wtf was he talking about when he said he did shrooms everyday for a week or month while he was getting cancelled?
And he smokes cigs.

No way he is getting blacked out more than when it started. The podcast went downhill when Fleshlight was no longer a sponsor.

Uh, Ben, was that Stifler's mom?

Only in 'Meruca...
Joe Rogan is an actor, comedian, and martial arts expert from the United States. He is also a UFC commentator and podcast host with a an estimated total net worth of more than $120 million

Exactly.

We did go from the brag board at the bar to leasing people back 40 for thousands a year... how did we end up here?
That's the money question in my mind, I think Matt is correct on some accounts.

On the flip side a dork from CO managed to roll up to MA and kill a buck, that per locals was a once in a decade buck back in the day, on public land 🤷‍♂️ Locals I've talked to were like oh cool, got 2 that size last season, good work.

Which is me clumsily trying to make the point that apparently, there have also been some big improvements.

The population iof the United States was about 180 million in 1960. It's 330 million today.

More people, more technology, more mobility.

#Thanoswasright

The population iof the United States was about 180 million in 1960. It's 330 million today.

More Texans, more technology, more mobility.

#Thanoswasright
Yep.

Population number alone does make me pause and wonder if Matt is miss attributing cause. Especially because states and areas where the whining is greatest have seen the least growth... Eastern MT and WY aren't much bigger than in 1960.

Would be interested to have Matt drive around Denver for a bit and then ask him if hunting media is the issue.

Yep.

Population number alone does make me pause and wonder if Matt is miss attributing cause. Especially because states and areas where the whining is greatest have seen the least growth... Eastern MT and WY aren't much bigger than in 1960.

Would be interested to have Matt drive around Denver for a bit and then ask him if hunting media is the issue.

The inability to look beyond the immediate to see the entirety of the issue is the primary force of diagnosing the problem correctly, then misdiagnosing the solution.

Hell, take him to Kalispell, Missoula, Bozeman and see what's up. Or even Lewistown.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back