Randy Newberg on Matt Rinella's Podcast

Lots of coat-tail riders out there for sure.

Same thing happens sometimes when eastman's, huntinfool, etc. blow up an area. In particular if a really good bull, buck, ram etc. is taken from a unit. Everyone thinks they're going to do the same thing.
Exactly.

Same thing happens sometimes when eastman's, huntinfool, etc. blow up an area. In particular if a really good bull, buck, ram etc. is taken from a unit. Everyone thinks they're going to do the same thing.

Thanks, Newberg.

I also greatly appreciate all the Randy does. But anyone that thinks his videos, podcasts, promotions, social media, etc. don't have a negative impact on hunting crowding in specific areas and decreased draw odds in units that he has been and filmed is fooling themselves.

I was just curious, so I looked up the stats from his Mountain Goat hunt/unit that he videoed and podcasted numerous times about in 2021.

Resident First Choice applicants: 2017-2021, 5-year average : 112 applicants
2022 : 223 applicants

Double the number of applicants in a special draw unit in 1-year after he was there.
Any of these episodes would be just as good if the host didn’t specify unit, mountain range, or even state. Not sure why any of the influencers feel the need to make sure everyone knows exactly where they’re hunting.

Same goes for podcasts, both Hunt Talk Radio and Meateater podcasts would be exactly the same if they didn’t mention 10 times in every episode that they’re located in Bozeman.

Reactions: DFS

So does this mean you are back on board with my promoting golf idea?

I also greatly appreciate all the Randy does. But anyone that thinks his videos, podcasts, promotions, social media, etc. don't have a negative impact on hunting crowding in specific areas and decreased draw odds in units that he has been and filmed is fooling themselves.

I was just curious, so I looked up the stats from his Mountain Goat hunt/unit that he videoed and podcasted numerous times about in 2021.

Resident First Choice applicants: 2017-2021, 5-year average : 112 applicants
2022 : 223 applicants

Double the number of applicants in a special draw unit in 1-year after he was there.
But are those new applicants or just people that switched from applying for unit A to unit B? Because if the latter is true, then you can likely thank him for making other unit easier to draw.

I was just thinking about when Chuck Adam killed the WR elk and made it sound as if there was a chance the bull could have come from the Custer in the articles he wrote. Then it happened again, only this time the hunter actually did take the elk on the Custer. Both of those attracted plenty of new hunters.

I remember when the Custer first established the riding and hiking areas in the 80's. At first few hunters bothered to hike in and hunt and by the late 80's you could count on finding a big deer if you hunted hard. It only lasted a few years and by 91 hunters were everywhere. No social media back then, just word of mouth. I saw more deer hunters hiking back then than I do now, of course there was a lot more deer then too.

I remember when the Custer first established the riding and hiking areas in the 80's. At first few hunters bothered to hike in and hunt and by the late 80's you could count on finding a big deer if you hunted hard. It only lasted a few years and by 91 hunters were everywhere. No social media back then, just word of mouth. I saw more deer hunters hiking back then than I do now, of course there was a lot more deer then too.
I overheard a guy yesterday saying that hiking to hunt was a rich man’s thing. Here I thought I was poor for not owning an atv or utv, turns out I was wrong

But are those new applicants or just people that switched from applying for unit A to unit B? Because if the latter is true, then you can likely thank him for making other unit easier to draw.
Don't know..don't care.
Just showing that his influence greatly affects hunting numbers in specific areas that he films and/or promotes.

Reactions: DFS
I overheard a guy yesterday saying that hiking to hunt was a rich man’s thing. Here I thought I was poor for not owning an atv or utv, turns out I was wrong
It’s probably a toss up really, guy on the atv gets by with Walmart camo, bass pro backpack, and a cheap rifle because weight doesn’t matter… There are guys hiking in with an atv worth of gear on!

Any of these episodes would be just as good if the host didn’t specify unit, mountain range, or even state. Not sure why any of the influencers feel the need to make sure everyone knows exactly where they’re hunting.

Same goes for podcasts, both Hunt Talk Radio and Meateater podcasts would be exactly the same if they didn’t mention 10 times in every episode that they’re located in Bozeman.
I hunted the Grand Mesa (below Indian Point Exactly) before Randy did Colorado DOW sponsored episodes there. After he aired those shows it blew up for sure, definitely had a impact on pressure. I'm okay with it though, I have so many cool memories there and I hope other people get the same opportunity. It's a cool area and it's not MINE. I did go back and listen to Matt on meateater and blood origins and I have to say he kind of swung me on many points. This whole topic has been brewing for awhile and now I feel like every resident hates me when I tell them where I'm from. That is a sentiment we need to avoid for the good of the sport, I feel..... my rented pack llamas at Flowing park reservoir during muzzleloader, I couldn't believe how easy llamas are, that I owe to Big Fin

Attachments

• 20180907_112520(0).jpg
    20180907_112520(0).jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
I was just thinking about when Chuck Adam killed the WR elk and made it sound as if there was a chance the bull could have come from the Custer in the articles he wrote. Then it happened again, only this time the hunter actually did take the elk on the Custer. Both of those attracted plenty of new hunters.

Bill Butlers book kind of blew up the Custer as well.

I hunted the Grand Mesa (below Indian Point Exactly) before Randy did Colorado DOW sponsored episodes there. After he aired those shows it blew up for sure, definitely had a impact on pressure. I'm okay with it though, I have so many cool memories there and I hope other people get the same opportunity. It's a cool area and it's not MINE. I did go back and listen to Matt on meateater and blood origins and I have to say he kind of swung me on many points. This whole topic has been brewing for awhile and now I feel like every resident hates me when I tell them where I'm from. That is a sentiment we need to avoid for the good of the sport, I feel.
This makes me recall the time I rented a car and drove it through Wyoming. It had California plates. Let’s just say it was bird season…and my driving wasn’t the issue

It’s probably a toss up really, guy on the atv gets by with Walmart camo, bass pro backpack, and a cheap rifle because weight doesn’t matter… There are guys hiking in with an atv worth of gear on!
1657830636628.png

High end if you look like a kuiu catalogue... me (actual) my WAG at your typical ATV guy... can you buy and run (gas) an ATV for $4000 for a week of hunting?

View attachment 229920

High end if you look like a kuiu catalogue... me (actual) my WAG at your typical ATV guy... can you buy and run (gas) an ATV for $4000 for a week of hunting?

don't forget trailer and truck for said ATV. and for wall tents, wood stoves, cooking griddles, and coolers of food. and of course ATV trailer for said ATV to carry said wall tents, wood stoves, cooking griddles, and coolers of food.

don't forget trailer and truck for said ATV. and for wall tents, wood stoves, cooking griddles, and coolers of food. and of course ATV trailer for said ATV to carry said wall tents, wood stoves, cooking griddles, and coolers of food.
I figured a backpacking tent and a cheap wally world tent equaled out and their "food" cost includes beer money ;)

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back