People Fleeing cities? Not according to Zillow

You folks couldn't kindly send some of those buyers to Alaska, could you? (sorry, Bambi) Our realtor had another client put in an offer today. THE LOWEST YET!!! Not even HALF of the listing price! :rolleyes: Couldn't even laugh at that one. Wife still stuck on not going back. She lost all desire once our dear friend was killed last year. But, I can still go up there. Yeah. We're taking it off the market and plan on trying again next year after the snow clears. Sheesh... Granted, it's just a dry cabin with electric and working well and a septic system in place, but it's not like we want a fortune, either.

Just off the mountains of New Mexico. Reading this, I think I should sell my current house and build on the five acres we have north of town.

My current house is only on an acre and adjacent is a shop on a separate deeded lot that could be used to build another house. For the prices being thrown around, I think I would sell it furnished, and I would toss in the groceries in the pantry, the taxidermy, and vehicles that are parked in the garage.

This is beyond stupid. But, I've never been averse to taking stupid money when it is offered.

Last edited:
Too many coming to MT that's about all I can tell ya.........
I only want your bighorns. I go back home after that 😂 in all seriousness though. I don’t know where all these people are coming from. Housing market has gone crazy here too. I know people who have listed their house and sold it for over asking price in as little as 4 hours in Charlotte suburbs.

Its wild in Livingston too. We bought our house in Paradise Valley a little over 2 years ago and did a refi this summer to get rid of PMI/ lower our rate. Only put 3% down when we bought and was able to get rid of PMI completely. I seriously couldn't believe our home appreciated over 20% in 2 years. Especially with only painting our house being the only "improvements" done. @Big Fin I definitely would take that stupid money and run to your 5 acres.

Just off the mountains of New Mexico. Reading this, I think I should sell my current house and build on the five acres we have north of town.

My current house is only on an acre and adjacent is a shop on a separate deeded lot that could be used to build another house. For the prices being thrown around, I think I would sell it furnished, and I would toss in the groceries in the pantry, the taxidermy, and vehicles that are parked in the garage.

This is beyond stupid. But, I've never been averse to taking stupid money when it is offered.
Only problem with the idea of selling to build is you can’t afford to build right now either due to material costs. Can’t buy a 2x4 for less than $6 right now.

I am no longer willing to disclose the somewhat crap towns that I would consider retiring in, just in case someone who only lives there a month every year buys up said crap towns. As with most problems in life the best solution is to have been born into wealth. Sorry kids...:D
There’s only 1 ski town in NA I’m interested in moving to my wife isn’t allowed to mention it around anyone except for family.

I got to wondering today if millennials are moving, are soon going to have kids and we' ll see their parents following them in retirement for lower cost of living and so they can be close to their grandchildren. Sort of a double whammy.
My wife and I are at the far old end of the Millennial Gen (1982) and that’s exactly how it went with us. My parents followed two years after we moved. Exact same thing happened for two other couples we’re friends with. So anecdotally, I’d say yeah, that’s happening a whole bunch.

Only problem with the idea of selling to build is you can’t afford to build right now either due to material costs. Can’t buy a 2x4 for less than $6 right now.
Good luck finding a contractor you can trust for the new build as well. They are swamped solid going into and through their typical slow season.

He's trying to find quality tile, electrical and plumbing contractors for our master bathroom build... and none! Trying to coax them to moonlight their time for us and still buggered up!

It's insane!

Buy a 5th wheel and live on the land through winter, spring, and into Summer before a chance to have the QUALITY contractors free up to build.

I’m trying to decide whether I can afford to live in my house when it’s finished or whether I should put it on the market and run a hundred miles in any direction.
How many llamas can you board on that five acres?😁

My wife and I just bought a place in Idaho ( move next month) and someone asked me if we bought because of the current times. We had been looking for our retirement home for over 5 years ( longer if you count the research).

We listed our nc house and it sold in one day for full asking price.

Houses (especially with land) are selling fast here as well as out west.

I hope the people that are moving west fully understand the winter conditions that are ahead of them.

Enough of that... gotta get back to packing and purging...( boy did we have a bunch of crap!!)..😁

I remember several Bitteroot ranches I could have bought,for cash,in 1975..........lol
Glad I sold my old Sierra cabin & got my NM place 11 yrs ago.

I am trying to talk my wife into selling our Helena house and skedaddling to the farm. Hard no from her every time. Something about a 113 year old farm house and being 60 miles from anywhere is off putting to her! 😕

I gave up on the west finally toward the end of last year. $60-80k a year, with a 450k mortgage didn’t seem sustainable or responsible. I bought a home on acreage in rural Iowa for less than 25% of that amount. My income went up 25% here from co. I commute 45 min to the “city”. Yeah I miss my mountains. But with that kind of living situation my mortgage will be gone in a couple of years. Then there’s lots of travel in our forecast.

Also, bow hunting whitetails here is piss your pants fun with a 9.5 week season. I have been chasing a pig of a whitetail here that has proven multiple times he is smarter than me.

I have lived in Montana long enough to know that more building codes would be a welcome change. Keeps people from doing stupid stuff
The local building inspector got a DUI while at work driving a city vehicle. He kept his job.😯 More bureaucracy doesn't always equate to better building standards. But if it makes you sleep better at night, keep asking for more.😉

Loved to death is a good way to put it, at least you have examples to look at to see how things will turn out (Calirado)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back