Pack dump...critique my list.

DirtyDan

Look it over and let me know what you think.
I am not adding in water or food as these I feel are a set amount that can't be adjusted. I also didn't put in my pack as I don't want this to turn into a pissing match about packs.:)
Everything measured in OZ.
Poles=18.0
Calls=. 3.9
GPS= 6.9
Compass=3.7
Wind powder=.7
Extra batteries=2.3
Binos=14.2
Candle lantern +4 candles=17.6
Camp shoes=16.8
Cooking gear=24.8
Olicamp stove Fuel
olicamp pot. Spork
MSR water filter=18.2
Emergency kit
Xtra knife=4.2
2 safety pins=.7
Fire steel= 1.7
50' para cord=1.7
2 cotton ball fire starters=.8
Mesh Kifaru pole out=1.2
First aid pack=6.7
Whistle Signal mirror. Duct tape. Water treatment pills
Lighter. Medical sewing kit. Flagging tape. Hook/fishing line
Space blanket. 2 fire starters. 2 zip ties
Kill kit=41.8
5 game bags. 6'x8' tarp. Hand wipes
Knife. Head lamp. Game saw. 2 ziplock bags
MSR Hydromodary 2L=5.2
MSR dromedary lite 3L=4.0
Thermarest Z lite=12.5
Big Agnes air core=29.7
Cass creek camp chair=20.4
20* Eurika sleeping bag=51.0
Sea to summit pillow=2.1
Sierra Design clip flashlight tent=71.0
Sierra design 10x10 tarp/50' para cord=31.4
Clothes
Core 4 vest=15.6
Sitka kelvin lite puffy=11.8
MT050 rain pants
MT050 rain jacket=29.6
UArmor base top=8.5
UArmor base bottom=7.2
Wicking t-shirt6.9
1 pair socks=2.7
Underwear =3.2
Map/license=3.3
Personal items=15.4
Chapstick. Gloves. Handkerchief. Note pad.
Face mask. Head lamp. Pencil
I will be eliminating the tent and tarp with a Seekoutside 4 man tipi wich should be 64.5.

Total=542.4oz or 33.9lbs

What do you think, anything I'm missing or should get rid of?

What/where is the hunt, how many days? Guessing archery elk?

Things I would leave or change...

Compass=3.7 (I live on the edge, and have never owned a compass, or got lost)
Candle lantern +4 candles=17.6 (what is this for?)
Camp shoes=16.8 (nice to have but not necessary IMO)
MSR water filter=18.2 (look into Sawyer or Platypus gravity filters, they weigh 3-5oz and no pumping)
Whistle Signal mirror. (I like to live dangerously, have never packed either of these. What about a cell phone, PLB, or SPOT or some other modern age "survival" gadget? A signal mirror and a whistle are useless IMO.)
Head lamp. (you have this listed twice. I like a backup light as well, but usually take a small key ring light)
Game saw. (suggest you leave it in the truck and get it on a second trip, or pack out the skull, I rarely take a saw)
MSR Hydromodary 2L=5.2 (these are nice, check out collapsible plastic canteens by Platypus or Nalgeen they weigh next to nothing)
MSR dromedary lite 3L=4.0
Thermarest Z lite=12.5 (two pads?, I cut a Z rest in 3 pieces, and use it for sitting, and under my pad at night)
Big Agnes air core=29.7 (lighter, warmer options out there, not a bad choice though)
Cass creek camp chair=20.4 (spend less time in camp)
Sea to summit pillow=2.1 (some pads have built in pillows, or use a coat, blow up pillows suck balls)
Notepad/Pencil can't say I've ever wished for a pencil and paper in the woods, but it doesn't weigh anything either...

Thats about a 4lb reduction, and you won't miss any of it.

Good luck on your hunt! Planning is the best part.

Last edited:
Woops. This will be a Colorado early archery hunt. Base camp will either be 9600ft or 12000.
Candle lantern is for general tent light and hopefully solve condensation issues in a single wall tent.
Extra headlamp is for a backup only
Z pad because the tipi is flourless
Paper and pencil I started packing years ago so I could write down the days events. I have a soft spot for Fred Bears field notes.
The shoes and camp chair are totally a luxury item that may not make the cut.

A piece of Tyvek will be more functional than the Z pad. I only carry one headlamp too. I, however, take camp shoes. I understand the argument against, but flip flops feel pretty good on the feet after a long dady.

I've never taken a camp chair or a pillow. I put my coat in a stuff sack and use that for a pillow.

Ditch the saw.

I carry a notepad and pen also.

The Platypus bottles are very light and easy to use.

I carried a candle lantern around for years because that's how I was raised. Then I realized I was superfluous to two headlamps. Haven't missed it.
Maybe I missed it but do you have means to sharpen your knife?

Also, depending on the clarity of your water source and length of the trip, a Steripen will save weight over a filter. I agree if you have two strong knives and means to sharpen them you can live without the saw, although I like to pack a knife and a hatchet.

For tent light I like the type that are cheap and have a flashlite bulb in one end and 2/3 of it is like a glow stick. the orange one puts out more light than the blue one. I rig a clothesline around the inside ceiling of the tent with braided fishing line that weighs next to nothing. I hang the light from that to light the whole tent and the clothesline helps to dry my socks and gloves on. I also take 2 spare pairs of socks so I always have a dry pair for bedtime.
Didn't see a stocking cap on your list. I hate wearing one but it has been needed almost every AM and for sleeping.
For a small lightweight note pad I cut a check register in half, and also write down the days adventures each night. It's surprising how much I forget by the end of the week. A pen will be needed to sign tag anyway.

Stuff your hunting clothes in a pillow case for a pillow instead of bringing one.Your clothes will be warm in morning then too
x2 on toilet paper,lol.

lots of duplicates or unneeded items, bambi is right on most of stuff! why take a extra anything? i will add a few comforts are nice but those dates you will be dealing with decent weather likely. i do carry a small saw, very handy and helpful but not a must have. those underwear seem heavy, is that weight post bear encounter?

I cant believe I forgot TP.
See it does help for someone else to go over your list. You would have thought my wife would have caught that one.
Almost forgot my bear spray too.
Great ideas everyone, keep them coming.
Thanks

DirtyDan, PM sent from one easterner to another easterner. The high country of SW Colorado is home away from home in September!

It may just be me but I wouldn't worry about packing bear spray in black bear country.

I took a comfy pillowcase from home and cut it down in size and re-sewed the edges. Just big enough to hold a few clothes and get some volume. I have only done this type of hunt for two years but I will be doing the same thing as you this summer, trying to get the weight down even further. Food adds up in a hurry, see an old post on here about "lightweight foods" and also on Elknut forum. Some guys gave some good helpful info. I also don't carry a gun or bear spray in CO black bear country, but that's a personal choice. My buddy carries it cuz his elderly mother insists :) So if it keeps other family members or yourself happy then do it. He also carries a DeLorme Inreach so we can both send a text home after getting back to camp safely each night. Lots of previous threads about these machines on this site.

Last edited:
Went back through everything and this is what I have so far. Lost the camp chair, candles and lantern, pack saw, 2 of the fire starters, switched out compass for a lighter one, and got rid of the license holder. Added TP, tooth brush/past and still managed to loose 2lbs 13oz. I'm in the process of cutting off all zipper pulls with 550 cord and replacing with 2mm cord. My goal is to get it down to 30lbs.
I'm starting to believe my wife was right when she told me I had a serious case of OCD. I wonder how much that ways?

Just a Cup for Cooking

Try eliminating all cooking equipment except a titanium cup for boiling water. Look for a cup 6oz or larger as most dehydrated foods will require at least 4 oz of water.

BTW I agree with your approach of taking a backup for anything that your life depends on, I am just not sure that lights fall into that category.

No Compass???!!!??

What/where is the hunt, how many days? Guessing archery elk?

Things I would leave or change...

Compass=3.7 (I live on the edge, and have never owned a compass, or got lost)

Just because someone has never needed a map and compass does not mean that they won't need them next time out. Just because someone has not needed a map and compass does not mean that someone else will not need them. To put it as politely as I can, it is "irresponsible" to go into the back country without a map and compass. It is even more "irresponsible" to suggest that someone else do the same.

I was a boy scout so "be prepared." Carry a backup for anything that your life depends on. Map and compass, fire starter, water purifier, dry clothes. It adds some weight, but anyone who is strong enough to go into the back country is strong enough to carry them. :)

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back