MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Pack dump...critique my list.

sleeping bag

It would cost you, but you you can find several 20 degree sleeping bags that are less than 32 oz, to say nothing of less than the 54 oz Eureka.

Bambistew; [B said:
Compass=3.7[/B] (I live on the edge, and have never owned a compass, or got lost)
:)

Compass? That's pretty funny. In this day and age where people wouldn't dream of leaving
their precious electonics behind such as phone or should I say pocket computer or GPS.
I doubt many people even know how to use a compass proplerly and such acient things as a paper map. :eek:

Just a thought about obsessing over gear weight:

If your body fat percentage is greater than 15% or so, instead of trimming ounces here or there by cutting toothbrushes and meticulously weighing your gear, skip a meal or two.

I find it fascinating that sometimes people who are 30 or 40 pounds overweight, are spending hundreds of dollars to shave 12 ounces off their tent, or a half a pound off their rifle.

I'm not saying being mindful of your gear weight isn't important, but the condition of your own carcass is the most critical aspect of how difficult it will be to haul your gear up the mountains. I say that from personal experience.

I knew the boyscouts would get their dander up. We all know they're the only ones with true survival skills...

Curious how to navigate with a map to a precise location. I presume you looked up the current declination correction before you decided to get lost?

He said current, not 1968. ;)

Where do you find those new maps?

For giggles I looked at a couple places I spend time here. The maps were done in late 50s, the declination on the map vs today's is 12+/- degrees different in one area, and 10+/- in the other. The USGS maps I have do not list "drift," some of the newer ones I've seen show this, but you should still check if you plan on navigating by compass.

Buddy and I got dropped off in an area about 60 miles from the nearest road last weekend, we forgot half our boy scout "survival" gear... along with about half our food. I was sure glad to have my GPS though, sure is nice to mark 25+lb moose antlers and pick them up on the return trip. This was a true survival situation... for the antlers.

This one was terrified when I walked away, even after reassuring him I'd return.

Attachments

• 20150516_163158_resized.jpg
    20150516_163158_resized.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 212
Google: FM 3-25.26

It is the Army's field manual on land navigation and map reading. Some good stuff in there to refresh those skills. The only issue is that it is all in MGRS not Lat/Long, but the concepts still work.

Dan, just a note. When I backpack for elk I leave trail head with 34 # in pack. That includes food & pack weight! Bivy sack NO tent. if weather calls for Storms I take a rainfly, but have weathered through storms with bivy sack only. Go wit the compass, any electronic needs batteries & extra, just saying! I do take a spot locator, you can also buy service to track your movements, to see when you return & for wife to see where you are, check them out. I have 1, 100 oz bladder in pack, there are lighter filters, but I have an MSR & filter straw also. A snowpeak stove, 1 titanium pot for boiling, a pistol that is bear worthy, will do spray also if I ever go t griz country. I have taken a few guys 'new to pack hunting and have told them, 'take what you think you need', '1st trip to base camp, 'you'll leave everything you didn't use, before next excursion!
End story though, you will not regret going to do this, have fun!!
I set a base camp near trail head, make 1 to 5 day excursions from there & sleep wherever I am at when evening comes. Trips back & forth to camp take energy you can be hunting with.. expect your elk load to possibly be 100# more if you can handle it.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.
I should have mentioned that this is not my first backpack trip, it will be my first solo trip though. Also, Id like to mention that although I do plan on hunting hard, this is still my vacation. So if I decide to hangout in camp a day here or sleep in a day there it is because I'm here to enjoy myself. So a couple of the creature comforts will be worth it to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back