Overpriced outdoor gear

It is out there, all you have to do is look...

$450US for one hoodie and a pair of pants? Seriously?

• Haha
Reactions: JAG
Sure kirkland doesn't equal sitka, but let's get real, which is going to keep you warmer:

or

There a 50% price difference for some camo.

One of the hardest parts to swallow is that $749 sitka jacket uses synthetic insulation that will start to degrade in ability to insulate almost immediately. Stuff/unstuff or use that jacket in any way that compresses the insulation and it will lose a portion of it's warmth quickly.

Over priced new tech vs cheap low tech?

I've used both and must admit that the over priced tech does have its advantages, especially in weight. But I'm a cheap bastard and will only purchase items "on-sale or clearance" or second hand. Can't even imagine throwing the coin down on today's top-end bows that will literally be worth half that, or less, by the end of the season.

My only rule, started last year, is that (Made in China) will be a hard pass when deciding on any purchases.

Where did you find a lift kit and overload springs for that outfit? I guess shifting into 4x4 requires hanging your feet out the door. :)
Well it didn't cost 70k so I'm not afraid of letting it rip on dirt ;)

Also... I think we can just close the thread and say my buddy Charlie wins... I dare someone to post something better

@Bambistew
"Great writeup and pics. You also lucked out on the river crossing and it not being 3x deeper. I know a guy that took a jet boat up there and killed one a number of years ago. That hunt is one of the hardest in the state, as you say weather plays a huge role. There has been a number of goat hunters die in that general area over the years. I can think of 3 in the last 6-7 years."

1631554533315.png
1631554462447.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it didn't cost 70k so I'm not afraid of letting it rip on dirt ;)

Also... I think we can just close the thread and say my buddy Charlie win's... I dare someone to post something better

@Bambistew
"Great writeup and pics. You also lucked out on the river crossing and it not being 3x deeper. I know a guy that took a jet boat up there and killed one a number of years ago. That hunt is one of the hardest in the state, as you say weather plays a huge role. There has been a number of goat hunters die in that general area over the years. I can think of 3 in the last 6-7 years."

View attachment 194406
View attachment 194404
Wow! Lucky he made it out alive wearing that crap. No matter what the price or fancy brand name, NEVER buy hiking footwear with those damn fabric lace loops!! Brush will eat them up in short order. Wild rose feasts on those things.

I don’t have a lot of Sitka or kuiu, but I have to say that the pieces I have are bullet proof. They’re about the right not clothes I have that aren’t shredded from eastern MT barbwire. Lol. Ive had 2 Sitka pieces that are 11 years old, and they still look new aside from the zipper, and I wear them all the time in the fall.

Wow! Lucky he made it out alive wearing that crap. No matter what the price or fancy brand name, NEVER buy hiking footwear with those damn fabric lace loops!! Brush will eat them up in short order. Wild rose feasts on those things.

You should write a book on outdoors and hunting. If 1 book would do it you would have a best seller and you would be the proud owner of that book.

Personally I would have opted for a bit stiffer shoe, but it appears you didn't die so... win, win.

As far as this thread goes. Get what makes you happy. Just know that there was lots of men/women doing the same stuff you were, for eons with equipment that would probably kill the modern hunter. :D

I'm not sure what is overpriced other than clothing, and rifles, but YMMV.

Personally I would have opted for a bit stiffer shoe, but it appears you didn't die so... win, win.
Yeah I went with beartooths lol

As far as this thread goes. Get what makes you happy. Just know that there was lots of men/women doing the same stuff you were, for eons with equipment that would probably kill the modern hunter. :D
Right folks were messing with bears/moose/ and mammoths for what 20k years before gore-tex

Everything that I've coughed up coin for, I would buy again (Lone wolf climber, panoptix ice fishing transducer, St. Croix rods, predator camo, new ATV (private land), european optics, and the list goes on). If you can afford it, then who's to say where that threshold lies between too expensive and not expensive enough. My only concern lies with turning off new hunters to the sport because they feel like they can't afford what their mentors, buddies, or someone a bit more well off uses...typical keep up with the Jones mentality. I've worked hard for my gear, I enjoy it, and will continue to buy it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back