Caribou Gear Tarp

Overpriced outdoor gear

Well it didn't cost 70k so I'm not afraid of letting it rip on dirt ;)

Also... I think we can just close the thread and say my buddy Charlie wins... I dare someone to post something better

@Bambistew
"Great writeup and pics. You also lucked out on the river crossing and it not being 3x deeper. I know a guy that took a jet boat up there and killed one a number of years ago. That hunt is one of the hardest in the state, as you say weather plays a huge role. There has been a number of goat hunters die in that general area over the years. I can think of 3 in the last 6-7 years."

View attachment 194406
View attachment 194404
Is it bad that this makes me want to hunt my goat with my lone peak all-weather lows… maybe I’ll bring them as camp shoes and we will see what happens

Supposedly manufactured goods overseas equates to less expensive retail prices, and made in USA is more expensive.
Obviously it means just that much more for the company.
Everything is made in China or elsewhere, be it big name brands or nobodies.
I do try and support companies that make their products in the US. The way supply chains are you often can't make 100% of your product here but there are some great companies that do their best.

Stone Glacier
Kifaru
Alpacka Raft - (Shout out here, Thor really works hard to source as much of the boats as possible in the US and tries to only sell made in the US affiliate products on their website)
Western Mountaineering
Melanzana

Nearly two decades ago I purchased some Cabelas wool bibs. The ones with the dry tex (gore knock off) layer. They were like 179.00 or thereabouts, which was expensive at the time to me...but they've been a solid cold weather investment. Haven't shrunk & the elastic and snaploks haven't failed. Gray with a bunch of pockets. I do have some Sitka Elevated incinerator bibs that are very warm also...bought right here. Sitka, Kuiu, and First Lite top layers found here or on sale. First Lite Obsidian wool pants (solid colors) were great new but haven't held up for me. Kenetrek's are top shelf and I have a hard foot to fit.

...and some oem unskidded first lite drawers from jryoung.

Some years ago, maybe 15, I bought a pair of Filson whipcord wool pants. They have served me very well. The material is not a heavy wool fabric, but has a very tight weave. They are warm, but not too warm. If it is really cold, a heavier undergarment handles that.

For big game hunting and later season bird hunting, they have never left me wanting.

Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.

But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet."

Judging by this thread I need to stop wearing a lot of the gear I have spent my own hard earned money on because it’s certainly not what expert hunters do.😁

I personally do research and buy lots of gear used and can say it has definitely helped me become a better hunter and been more comfortable in the hills. One thing I will never regret buying is Swarovski optics.

I do have a piece of Sitka Gear I love. I purchased a Traverse Hoody in 2014 and it's going strong. Absolutely worth the dealer cost I paid. I don't know if they have an analogous product today, but I was sad when I found out they no longer made them.

I'm still wearing my brown wool paints and jacket 30 year. I did buy a new set last year for really cold weather. The old set has worn a bit thin.
My old Blanket boots, the balkie once are 35 years old. Only used for days I know I'll be in my treestand more then 3 hours.

Cabela's wool pants are the best best piece of late season kit I own. And I get to hook my thumbs around the suspenders and look disapprovingly at stuff too.

Judging by this thread I need to stop wearing a lot of the gear I have spent my own hard earned money on because it’s certainly not what expert hunters do.😁

I personally do research and buy lots of gear used and can say it has definitely helped me become a better hunter and been more comfortable in the hills. One thing I will never regret buying is Swarovski optics.

I'd give up my sock budget for alpha glass cash.

Cabela's wool pants are the best best piece of late season kit I own. And I get to hook my thumbs around the suspenders and look disapprovingly at stuff too.

I'd give up my sock budget for alpha glass cash.

If you just buy some Darn Tough socks then you can just keep using the lifetime warranty and getting replacement ones each year and thus no need for sock budget anymore. 😁😁

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back