Caribou Gear

Overpriced outdoor gear

Everything that I've coughed up coin for, I would buy again (Lone wolf climber, panoptix ice fishing transducer, St. Croix rods, predator camo, new ATV (private land), european optics, and the list goes on). If you can afford it, then who's to say where that threshold lies between too expensive and not expensive enough. My only concern lies with turning off new hunters to the sport because they feel like they can't afford what their mentors, buddies, or someone a bit more well off uses...typical keep up with the Jones mentality. I've worked hard for my gear, I enjoy it, and will continue to buy it.
I think in my case, judging by my hunting clothing choices, those I'm mentoring may be asking if I'm qualified to give anyone advice on hunting or much of anything else.

FYI, Darn Tough are more comfortable and they will stand behind their lifetime warranty. I wear them everyday.
I have heard nothing but good things about those socks. I'll have to loosen the purse strings and give them a go. Bought three pairs of very expensive Merino wool socks for my return Alaska fishing trip three years ago (made the mistake of taking the gal who went with me shopping before we left). All were shot before hunting season was done. Dickies makes a wool blend work sock that has held up well for me. Not real thick so I don't need a special pair of boots and they seem to wear well. And yes, I think I bought them at Walmart. The green jeans I'm wearing in the black wildebeest photo are old relaxed fit Wranglers also from Walmart. Damn those are nice for hunting (temperate weather of course). A bloody shame Wrangler doesn't make them in that colour anymore. Black or blue attire won't cut it when goose hunting.

I appreciate that Sitka, Kuiu, and others have finally started making size smalls that aren't for 6ft, 235lb people thereby filling the gap between REI type brands where a size small is 6ft, 135lbs.

I don't totally eschew high end stuff. I do have a couple of clothing items that aren't cheap but they're not Sitka silly expensive. I bought two of these Red Head camo shirts at Minneapolis Cabelas two years ago when I was down there looking after a terminally ill Lab. They looked good, were on sale half price, and buying stuff seemed therapeutic. Those are the best fitting, most comfortable shirts I've owned in my life. They are also tough as nails and look great. When I was down there for surgery in June before going to Africa, I bought two more. About fifty bucks as I recall. I wear them almost daily. Sleeves are actually a bit long for this knuckle dragger.
20210825_141643.jpg
I also spend the money for a decent waterfowl coat. The 4-in-1 style has worked best for me. I have paid up to $300 for them but, as mentioned above, picked up the latest one new at Goodwill for $35. It isn't GoreTex but that's okay. They just get leaky anyway. The breathability of GoreTex is also highly overrated. I bought a new set of Frogg Toggs camo rain gear in July. Replaces the set I picked up before going to work in Alaska thirteen years ago. Great stuff and though it won't last forever, the $50 price tag makes replacement affordable. In rainy cold situations I layer up under it.

Supposedly manufactured goods overseas equates to less expensive retail prices, and made in USA is more expensive.
Obviously it means just that much more for the company.
Everything is made in China or elsewhere, be it big name brands or nobodies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back