Overpriced outdoor gear

I don't do any really hardcore hunting, and I think it is evident that those who do are correct and speak from experience that the expensive stuff is the often the best stuff, but I do strongly believe there is a diminishing ROI for some of these things.

I was on the coldest hunt of my life a couple years back with some buddies. One of the guys I was with was wearing a $500 pair of Sitka stormfront pants. I was wearing some Finnish military surplus woolies I bought 10 years ago for around $100. I don't think those woolies are as light, or maybe even as warm as the Sitka's, but they aren't 1/5 the product as the proportion of the cost would allude to. Also, if I rip them when crossing a barbed wire fence, like my buddy did to his sitkas, I just patch them, and I don't feel like I have just engaged in some sort of financial distress, like my buddy did. I kind of associate it with the reason to never have a $70,000 hunting truck - I'd be worried about Montana Pinstripes on a mountain road.

In application development there is something called the 80% rule. It's a spinoff of the Pareto Principal. Basically, getting to 80% of something is sometimes optimal, as getting that last 20% could take too much energy/resources. For the types of hunting most folks do, I think this is true when it comes to $500 pants vs $100 woolies, or $20 costco adventure pants vs some name brand $200 "mountain pants" made of the exact same fabric.

Outdoor forum riddle time...who's more of a jerk?
1)The guy who parades around the best and highest end gear to justify the "fact" that he's better than everyone else
2)The guy who parades around the longest lasting, best value gear to justify the "fact" that he's better than everyone else

At the end of the day, some people are just jerks. :) Well mostly one.

I have to comment, that using a rifle scope for binoculars is about the rudest thing any hunter can do to other hunters. It amazes me anyone would openly admit it.

Seriously, what is some one supposed to think when they see a guy pointing a rifle straight at them? I doubt they worry whether the guy is wearing wool, jeans, camo, or whatever else.

As to clothing, I'm pretty old school, but I'm also pretty old. More or less layers of wool, top to bottom. I do spend for good boots, as needed. The Crispi boots I bought a year or two ago are excellent.

If I was, say 40, I could justify getting the newer stuff, but my gear will outlast me.

Sure kirkland doesn't equal sitka, but let's get real, which is going to keep you warmer:

or

There a 50% price difference for some camo.
No doubt it’s true for a lot of items, I think rain gear and down are chief among them.

And what is this?
View attachment 194315
Look closely at the black wildebeest photo. You don't see any double chin or beer gut on that guy. Hunting kudu CAN be just about as arduous as elk hunting in Western Montana. I have plenty of experience with both.

These two bull elk and eleven others were shot in the thirteen years before I moved to Canada and still I'm damn near as fit now as I was then. Still wear the same size pants. There's a reason for that. I still hunt just as hard. I'm tough enough to drive 24 hrs straight to get back there to hunt and fish ... often more than twice a year.
View attachment 194316View attachment 194317
This moose was shot in 1991. Bought that wool shirt at Sportsman Ski Haus in Kalispell Christmas of 1979. It still hunts deer and elk (I quit moose hunting here several years ago), although the elbows are now worn through.
View attachment 194318
Haven't done it for more than twenty years because I got rid of my livestock but I'm betting at age sixty-eight I could still put shoes on a horse. We'll see if you can say the same at my age. At age fifty-seven, my last year with the Park Service, I passed the firefighting physical test for US govt: three miles wearing 48 lb pack in under 45 minutes and NO running allowed. Not only did I pass, but I blew the doors off several rock climber kids in their late twenties. Last time I was at the gymn, which has been about a year and a half due to pandemic and surgeries, I could still do three miles on the treadmill under 35 minutes with no running.

Sorry, but I take offence at some keyboard hunter blowing me off as unfit to hunt elk just because I hunt Africa. Pffft! Obviously, if I can fly half way around the world to hunt a couple of times, I can afford Sitka, Kentreck, etc. I'm just too smart to buy into their elitist better-than-everything-because-it-costs-more marketing bullshit. Maybe W.C. Fields is right and one is born every minute, but my mom didn't send a sucker down the chute back in 1952.
Don’t get too worked up, I was just grumpy from losing an arrow shooting at a grouse. I can’t afford to hunt Africa, but I’m glad I could afford some very comfortable boots that make climbing hills a little easier. No keyboard, just my phone from the mountain while the elk are taking a nap.

940A8318-0A91-42AE-9816-7B1218FA801D.jpeg

Apparently this thread is quickly morphing into an autobiography explaining how one can be the perfect blend of cheap and amazing physical prowess at the same time.
Cheap? I think you need to take a look at the trophy fees for cape buffalo. Har, har.
There is always a reason, but when you are out stalking elk/deer in Montana, you may want to tell everyone here, where and when you will be out so that no one is in the same area. My guess is that when someone sees you looking at them through your scope, a detached retina will be the least of your physical impairments.
Not to worry. Clearly you will not be hunting the same terrain.

Only one time I ever scoped another animal wearing orange ... and it was scoping me ... for the same reason. To make sure the other guy who wasn't moving was okay. He was waiting for me at the highway when I came out late. We made our apologies ... and thank yous ... and went on our way. Never saw him again ... through the scope or otherwise. A couple of Montanans.

Don’t get too worked up, I was just grumpy from losing an arrow shooting at a grouse. I can’t afford to hunt Africa, but I’m glad I could afford some very comfortable boots that make climbing hills a little easier.
View attachment 194347
Nice view! You're a bit closer to the Chinette paper plate than is needed. More altitude. Squat would probably work better. ;)

....wait...people buy that overpriced camo underwear? This makes me question things now.

Most women's hunting gear is overpriced in my opinion (we get a much smaller selection...and awfully small pockets). I end up just buying the cheaper men's shirts. I couldn't bring myself to buy a pair of First Lite pants for women that apparently rip pretty easily.

OP, are you upset about marketing strategies, capitalism itself, or do you just need a quick ego stroke every now and again?

If you don't own any overpriced gear, seems to me you don't have much to be offended by.

....wait...people buy that overpriced camo underwear? This makes me question things now.

Most women's hunting gear is overpriced in my opinion (we get a much smaller selection...and awfully small pockets). I end up just buying the cheaper men's shirts. I couldn't bring myself to buy a pair of First Lite pants for women that apparently rip pretty easily.
Never doubt the value of quality tech junk drawers.

Honestly my reasons for not wearing sitka, etc. is the camo patterns.

I'm wayyyy past over that stuff always having to be the latest and greatest in some ridiculous camo pattern.

If Sitka and others would make their clothing in basic earth tone's I'd be way more likely to buy it.

I'll go out of my way to buy hunting clothes that are not camo.

Camo underwear is for hunting geese with x-ray vision.

Women's outdoor wear pants designed to rip easily? Undoubtedly engineered by a man who has domestic issues at home.

OP, are you upset about marketing strategies, capitalism itself, or do you just need a quick ego stroke every now and again?

If you don't own any overpriced gear, seems to me you don't have much to be offended by.
All you can get now are 4-stroke egos. I thought things were just fine with the 2-stroke models. They were cheaper too...

If Sitka and others would make their clothing in basic earth tone's I'd be way more likely to buy it.

I'll go out of my way to buy hunting clothes that are not camo.

It is out there, all you have to do is look...

Back