Overpriced outdoor gear

Never tried a White Claw. Weird law, in Montana its illegal for men to buy White Claw.

that’s wild! Maybe because it’s illegal makes it fun and exciting, but there were a lot of claw drinking felons running around MT when I was out there.

It’s tough. Ive only had good luck with neoprene waders. The “breathables” don’t last a year for me.

My first pair of Simms guideweight waders last for 350 days on the water. About 3 years. But that was back when I was single and could afford to fish a lot. The inside looked like I had taken a load of #8's with all the pinhole patches from sliding down the Wind River Canyon, etc but those things lasted a lot longer than I thought they would. Subsequent pairs did the same.

My current pair of Simms waders have lasted 14 years. Consequently, that jibes with when the Mrs. came into my life and when my fishing went way, way down.

Good quality gear, regardless of what others think it's worth, is in the eye of the beholder and is entirely on them to spend how they see fit.

I had Hogdeman waders that lasted 3 trips before they were trashed. We can make fun of each other all we want, but at the end of the day, buy what you want and don't worry about what everyone else thinks. It's your money and your sport.

My first pair of Simms guideweight waders last for 350 days on the water. About 3 years. But that was back when I was single and could afford to fish a lot. The inside looked like I had taken a load of #8's with all the pinhole patches from sliding down the Wind River Canyon, etc but those things lasted a lot longer than I thought they would. Subsequent pairs did the same.

My current pair of Simms waders have lasted 14 years. Consequently, that jibes with when the Mrs. came into my life and when my fishing went way, way down.

Good quality gear, regardless of what others think it's worth, is in the eye of the beholder and is entirely on them to spend how they see fit.

I had Hogdeman waders that lasted 3 trips before they were trashed. We can make fun of each other all we want, but at the end of the day, buy what you want and don't worry about what everyone else thinks. It's your money and your sport.

my Simms waders that were in the $180 range leaked at the crotch in less than one season of fly fishing. I scoured it for pin holes but couldn’t find the me so I spread a whole thing aqua seal on all the seams. Still leaked.

I used one of those too. I know a professional dog trainer and when my pup was struggling with being gun shy, he gave me a very drawn out, gradual progression from clapping my hands, to a cap gun, to the shotgun primers, to a shotgun fired away and from a distance, to normal hunting type shotgun blasts. It was a months-long process and it worked!

my Simms waders that were in the $180 range leaked at the crotch in less than one season of fly fishing. I scoured it for pin holes but couldn’t find the me so I spread a whole thing aqua seal on all the seams. Still leaked.

That sucks. Did you return them? They used to have great customer service and if you were in Bozo, you could get them replaced in person.

That sucks. Did you return them? They used to have great customer service and if you were in Bozo, you could get them replaced in person.
Man if I would have known, I was in bozo this summer, with those same waders and could have got them replaced!

thing is, the leak is just so slow. Its really annoying having a wet spot if I have to spend a while crotch deep, but it’s still just so slow that just can’t justify a new pair yet.

Man if I would have known, I was in bozo this summer, with those same waders and could have got them replaced!

thing is, the leak is just so slow. Its really annoying having a wet spot if I have to spend a while crotch deep, but it’s still just so slow that just can’t justify a new pair yet.
It may be a seam leak. That'll be difficult to show. I'd call their service dept. They usually are pretty responsive.

Could it be condensation as well?

It may be a seam leak. That'll be difficult to show. I'd call their service dept. They usually are pretty responsive.

Could it be condensation as well?
Def not condensation. I’ve been down the “am I sweaty or do these waders leak?” road a time or two before.

Honestly I’ve beat the shit out of these waders waterfowl hunting so at this point I should be fairly happy it’s only a slow seam leak. No way would they wanna replace them at this point and I wouldn’t blame them.

My buddy's all make fun of me for how cheap I am. I do have nice gear, and I spend ...
Excellent post with lots of useful info to answer the original poster without anything extra. Thank you! I like that others have commented on how they will spend less on some things so they can spend more on other things; like less on clothes for better glass.

Minimum when I started was $1.25hr.....I remember back in '06 when...oh.
I'm not on MM...

I went back to the house for my old Woolrich wool coat to wear over my spiffy new Skre gear last year. I'll try the down sweater I found in a parking lot 20 years ago under the coat next year,with the on sale REI merino instead of the skre.

Wish I never lost my Columbia woolblend set. Or several surplus wool pants that vanished.

Have 25 years on a Patagonia fleece pullover and 30 on a wool sweater I still wear yearly. Used sweater from dad.

My E-stock pack is the most comfortable to wear,unhindered of meat.

Going on 2 years of everyday wear on some Lowa Caminos.The most comfortable work/hunt boot I have ever had.
Half price,NIB on ebay.
Same as the Lowa Tibets that are 5 years old & like new.

$365 seems high.

OH, did you say you have a pair of Orvis waders? Man, you are one of those walking billboards for the rich using only the best gear!
Picked them up for a song on ebay. Ridiculous cheap. As I recall shipping was almost as much as the waders. They were discontinued model I think. A sporting goods store back east was clearing them out for new models.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back