Caribou Gear Tarp

Overpriced outdoor gear

Idk in seriously considering there waders. I spend a lot of time in waders every year and at $200 to $300 for the other brands I've never made it more than one season without several leaks.
Sounds like bad luck to me. My $200-$300 Lacrosse usually last 4-5 before a slow leak starts.

I don’t think paying more will equate to longevity. I know fly fishing guys who buy the crazy expensive Simms waders and they say they last the same as the cheaper waders.

Sounds like bad luck to me. My $200-$300 Lacrosse usually last 4-5 before a slow leak starts.

I don’t think paying more will equate to longevity. I know fly fishing guys who buy the crazy expensive Simms waders and they say they last the same as the cheaper waders.
Yah lacrosse was probably the worst for me. Maybe bad luck all I know is when I keep getting wet makes me start thinking I need to try something different. 4 brands in 4 years

Yah lacrosse was probably the worst for me. Maybe bad luck all I know is when I keep getting wet makes me start thinking I need to try something different. 4 brands in 4 years
It’s tough. Ive only had good luck with neoprene waders. The “breathables” don’t last a year for me.

Idk in seriously considering there waders. I spend a lot of time in waders every year and at $200 to $300 for the other brands I've never made it more than one season without several leaks.
Are you using neoprene or breathable?

Edit: I see the question was answered. My Orvis Silver Medal breathable waders have held up great. I fished in them just about every day for five months when I was working at Katmai thirteen years ago. They came with a patch kit ... that is still unopened. I occasionally use them waterfowl hunting but not a lot. I mostly hunt the fields.

Last edited:
Another one is the dummy shells for dog training that are like 2to 3x the price of trap loads how the hell does that work?
Yeah, that's kind of silly. When I was training my dog, I really couldn't stomach the idea of buying a blank pistol, but I need to do a lot of loud noises with this dog, in a progression from soft to a little louder, to a little louder, etc. My brother, who reloads shotgun shells, loaded up a bunch of shells with just a primer, allowing me to do alot of work with my regular old shotgun. It was a helpful solution and my dog loves gunfire now!

This is an anomaly, but I have a pair of canvass LaCrosse waders from 1991 that still is waterproof. I am only a casual waterfowler...3-4 times in waders per year....but also use them to take out and put in a lot of docks. Crazy, huh? But they are wearing out around the boot, so it won't be long now and they will be shot. But what a run!

OH, did you say you have a pair of Orvis waders? Man, you are one of those walking billboards for the rich using only the best gear!

Yeah, that's kind of silly. When I was training my dog, I really couldn't stomach the idea of buying a blank pistol, but I need to do a lot of loud noises with this dog, in a progression from soft to a little louder, to a little louder, etc. My brother, who reloads shotgun shells, loaded up a bunch of shells with just a primer, allowing me to do alot of work with my regular old shotgun. It was a helpful solution and my dog loves gunfire now!
Had my cousin do the same.

I do the majority of my work with .22 blanks. Still stupid expensive.

Also, it’s funny Yeti got us to buy crazy expensive tumblrs and mugs that keep stuff cold for 24 hours. How long are we working on a single beverage that we need it cold for a whole day?
The other day I counted up the tumblers, mugs and coozies I have from yeti and tabulated how much money I’ve dumped on them. I’m embarrassed on what I’ve spent on vessels that keep things warm or cold. However the Tiffany blue yeti coozie that fits the white claw cans is money well spent...

I started my last dog with just primers in my .38

I'm a bargain hunter and nearly all of my gear of high quality brand names I have bought at swap meets for next to nothing. For several years I have used non-insulated breathable waders that I have found in new condition for $5-$10 in various brands like Cabela's or Hodgmans etc. They would only last a year or 2 before developing a leak in the butt cheeks. The material would wear thin. I guide for waterfowl hunting out of a kayak sunrise to sunset for 60 days straight, only taking off a couple days for Christmas. Those waders were all stocking foots and I grew weary of always having the mud strip my shoe off, so last year I bit the bullet and bought Sitka zippered front breathable waders. That's one item that I'm certain I won't find at a swap meet.
They have survived all of last season, let's see how long they last.

The other day I counted up the tumblers, mugs and coozies I have from yeti and tabulated how much money I’ve dumped on them. I’m embarrassed on what I’ve spent on vessels that keep things warm or cold. However the Tiffany blue yeti coozie that fits the white claw cans is money well spent...
See if you work in the right industry you just get a pile for free... I think I have 8 lol

Never tried a White Claw. Weird law, in Montana its illegal for men to buy White Claw.

Haha I buy them as gifts for my employees so I can write them off and get one myself.

🤣🤣I talked our HR dept. into giving them to staff as part of their retirement gifts (instead of the typical tie-tacs, clocks, etc.). Then once it happened (not the sole driver mind you) I turned in my paperwork and got a couple of Yetis lol…still got the damn clock too but 🤷🏻‍♂️ 33B83FA5-4D29-468E-9ED5-495BBF85B77A.jpeg

My buddy's all make fun of me for how cheap I am. I do have nice gear, and I spend the money on gear that I plan to keep for a long time and has more uses then just hunting.

Example: my T&K bino harness I use for my binos and when I'm fishing to hold my license, flies and everything else.

My boots are my Marine Corps Combat boots for when I need to go kick a door in or walk in the mud and for hiking. They are great boots and I've been very happy with them.

Pants are tough, I have a few different pairs and kind of at a point where I may invest in a few really high end pairs that. I don't generally use camo pants cause i use them for many different purposes and i really don't like wearing camo when I'm going to Applebee's haha.

My camo layers are some sportsman warehouse brand from 4 years ago atm. They are fine and have held up so far I just like to have decent underlayers when its cold then I'm generally fine. I really tend to skimp on the camo brands

I have two bows that I dumped a ton of money into but I enjoy them a lot and shoot regularly and I don't have much intention on parting with them anytime soon.
2013 Matthews Chill
2014 Elite Synergy

They should both last me another 10 years.

My rifles are mostly all hand me downs and some are Extremely expensive and some are cheap. I use the cheap one the most as it shoots great out to 400 yards and it wont hurt my feelings to much if it goes for a ride down a mountain cliff.

Shotguns are mostly cheap rigs except for the rem 1100 that I inherited. all my other shotguns are Mossberg's and I love them.

My binos are just vortex mid range and they do good enough for me. I really just like the warrantee. Some day I'm going to upgrade to some 12x50 sworos, that glass is so nice. I do have a more affordable tri-pod that I take with me if I'm going to be parked somewhere for awhile. So far its been fine and I haven't felt the need for something more higher end, I forget the brand, but it was I think 50$ on sale.

I have significant blown out disks in my back from my days in the service so I did not skimp on the pack on this last purchase. I got a Kifaru duplex lite frame and a Stryker bag and they have been wonderful. I have a couple cheap frame packs that are fine if your aren't effed up like me. But these Kifaru's have a lifetime warrantee and if i want a different bag I can just order another bag and put it on the frame I have. Pretty cost effective option.

At some point soon I think ill upgrade my sleeping bag, Freezing my balls off has not been as fun the older I get. But I did get a wall tent so my friends from Michigan and I can start doing our annual hunt camp again. Its ozark Trail and I've used it twice so far and the second time had some nasty wind gusts and it held up fantastic. We'll see how it goes, that purchase was more an experiment then anything and its a hell of a lot more comfortable then my back packing tent.

Then there is my atv. My god that thing is a pile of shit if I've ever seen one. But I keep fixing it and it keeps freaking running. It runs and operates far better now then it did when I got it. I can almost say its reliable but every so often it reminds me its Chinese and decides to flood itself. Also makes some odd noises, hence the name the Wuhan Whistler, beats walking though. I just make sure there is an Oh shit kit in a bag on the atv at all times cause ya just never know lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back