Caribou Gear

Over 40 mountain fitness?

Paisano

I'm just wondering what some of the guys on here in their 40's, 50's, and 60's do each year to keep in shape so they can hunt the mountains?

...Sounds like some of you get to hunt so much that this is not an issue. :) That's awesome and would be my first choice!!

I'll give you a little background as to why I would ask....My first hunt last year was a archery elk hunt in New Mexico. We did our homework, got lucky in the draws, and went DIY. After a several months of early morning exercise, we were all smiles and headed for the mountains. We camped on the edge of a wilderness area and hit the trailhead at first light on day 1 with spike camps in tow. We had decent gear and were carrying about 38 lbs. Well, from here on, the plan kinda went south. One time a guy on this forum said "when you look at Google Earth, expect everything to be twice as rough in person..." All I'm going to say is "Amen to that." We hiked towards our first intended hunt area and realized we had overestimated how far we could hike in a reasonable amount of time + considering the realities of getting a bull packed back to camp. A few miles into the wilderness, we opted for Plan B and went cross country to some canyons that looked promising. We lost about 1700 feet in elevation to get there. That was rough on the legs.
A buddy of mine once told me "trails are where they are for a reason." I think I have a listening problem. :) Anyway, we reached the canyons pretty whipped around 1pm. We actually found some bulls doing some mid day bugling at this point. After a quick check on the GPS and map, the realization sat in that we were get going to have major problems getting an elk out of the canyon as well. After a break and some discussion, we thought that the best thing to do would be to jump on the nearest trail and grunt it back to camp, scratch the spike camp thing, and just start fresh hunting out of base camp. After a hailstorm, gaining the 1700 feet of elevation back, and crawling through a mess of deadfall in the dark, we stumbled back into base camp a little before midnight. The next day my hunting partner and I felt like we'd be run over by a herd of horses!:eek: Day 2, we put our plan to work and had an uneventful but good day. We hunted out of base camp with much lighter day packs. On day 3, about 3 miles from the truck, my knee started to hurt. It got progressively worse where I couldn't walk on it. Fortunately, I was able to limp back down the trail about 2 miles where my buddy could pick me up with the truck. That was the end of the hunt for me. After getting home and getting checked out by the doc, they told me nothing was torn and I'd just "aggravated" the joint from not stretching out good. I'm very humbled to say that I'm doing good now and have started working out again for another try this fall.

I have to admit this was a sobering experience for me. I know there is a lot written about "extreme hunting" and "wilderness athletes" these days. More power to anyone who would put themselves in that category. I would just tell anyone who is new to hunting out west to go slow, have a plan, and be smart about it. Be careful not to get yourself into something that you can't get out of.

Like I said at the beginning of the post, I'm just wondering what some of the older guys have say about staying in shape so that their legs and back can make the trip each year and hopefully pack some meat back to camp. In a few years, I'll be knocking on 40 and I want to be able to get out there and enjoy these hunts as long as possible.

I'm 43. After a hunt 2 years ago in New Mexico I decided I needed to get in better shape as well.

Last year I ran a poll on what the folks on this forum considered "in shape" for elk hunting. It was a typical bell curve with the never get off the couch and ultramarathoners at both ends and the middle full of guys that either spend a lot of time in the hills, are active outdoors for work or who spend time jogging to get in shape. The option I picked was to be able to run 6 miles in 1 hour and I worked at it and met that goal before heading to the hills last year. My hunt was WAY more enjoyable because I was in shape and I ended up going some places I would have never thought of if I hadn't been in shape. Of course when it was all said and done I ended up getting my bull less than a mile from the road, but I put over 50 miles on my boots that week.

After feeling so good about being in shape last year, I've decided to up it to a half marathon this year. I'm also working on losing some weight. I'm down about 25 pounds in the last year and am shooting for the half marathon at the end of April. I'll probably slack off a little on my mileage in the heat of the summer and then pick it back up in the fall.

I made the mistake in my poll last year of making the second option from the top was run a half marathon in under 2 hours. At the time I didn't realize that was a LOT harder than running it in 2 hours and 15 minutes. I'm shooting for under 2 hours, and it is taking a lot more work than if I was just willing to change my goal to 2 hours and 15 minutes.

I spent 80 minutes on the elliptical last night in hill climb mode watching hunting shows. This evening I'll be jogging 7 miles at an easy pace of somewhere around 10:45 per mile watching my heart rate to make sure I stay in the aerobic zone. Wednesday I'll be doing some 400 meter intervals at the local track, that will be my first try at interval training, we'll see how that goes. Thursday is an optional workout day, but this week is supposed to be nice so I'll probably get in 4 or 5 easy miles. Friday is date night and a day off of working out and Saturday I'll be jogging 12 miles at an easy pace watching my heart rate.

I'm probably going over the top a bit now, but it really feels great to be in shape. I still haven't developed the love for running that my wife has, but it's tolerable and well worth it for how I feel and losing weight without really changing up my diet too much.

Probably more than you wanted to hear, but I'm pretty pumped about my workout schedule and goals right now. It really made a big difference in my enjoyment of the hunt last year not having to stop and gasp for breath every couple hundred yards.

If I were to give any advice it would be to start out slow and easy. You should be doing 80% of your work outs at a pace that would allow you to carry on a normal conversation while you are working out without being out of breath. I got a heart rate monitor that helps me work in the aerobic zone and that makes a huge difference in the workout. I only push it on 1 workout a week. If you push it every workout, you will start to dread working out and have a much higher risk of injury.

My 2 cents. Nathan

Last edited:
Well, I'm 51 and first off it is always going to be tough on us flatlanders hunting in the mountains. I mix it up by running 12-20 miles a week for me at about a 8 minute pace. I throw in elliptical on the highest pitch setting and a mid range resistance normally at least 30 minutes at a whack and if you have access to a stair master or just plains stairs give great work outs. I also mountain bike on gravel roads normally at least 10 miles at a whack. That combo has work good for me but also remember upper body workout. Staying religious about it and keeping yourself from pushing into an injury is important as well.

Two other things while hunting back country is to get enough calories and staying hydrated. I learned those lessons the hard way. Nothing breaks you down faster than being dehydrated and not enough fuel.

I don't claim to be the best physically fit guy out thereby any means but it is important to me to be prepared to do what I love doing and that routine has helped me. It also helps me enjoy it a lot more too.

I'm working on day 20 of p90x and its gone great, really really sore the first week. I have two buddies coming for a bowhunt and I've told them to get on sort of workout, but to also go to your local football field and walk the bleachers and much as they can or hit the tread mill upward cline.

I dont have time to workout due to most of the year i work 6 days a week 12 hours a day but the month before elk season i walk up steepest hill i can find where ever i happen to be working. Which in michigan where im working now is no where so i walk more and take the stairs at work cut out the soda and fast food. Then the first 3 days of the hunt im worn out but by the 4th day im pretty good and kill an elk in the backcountry 4 years in a row with my bow maybe im just lucky.

I'm on BigFins plan right now.Plan to switch over to a little better diet soon,and hit the hills with weighted pack.I have some great hills here to work out on,but I can't duplicate the elevation change.Get your legs and core strong and you'll be OK.I exercise all day at work in construction so I'm in decent shape for my age,43,anyway.I am considering P90X,but mainly for my overall health rather then just elk hunting.believe they have money back offer running now.So if it kicks my a$$,I'll go back to Fins plan and return it
I think if you can work up your hiking to 6-7 miles a day with a weighted pack before season,you'll be just fine.I don't believe you have to be an olympic athelete to hunt elk.
Know your hunt area too.I'll be in Wy. this year and the terrain is pretty easy where I hunt there.When I go back to Mt. next year, I'll up my workouts ahead of the hunt.some places require more training then others;no doubt

I think an off season regular exercise plan just sets a base level of fitness to be able to function in a high altitude camp. For those of us who might get a week or two out of state hunt, will be at a disadvantage unless we can be in the hills hunting our local critters actively on steep slopes every weekend at home. (California deer season in July and August helps with THAT).

Where the more extreme exercise like mountain marathons and ultra distance trail runs help is getting to know how your body and mind react when you are beyond your normal physical and mental limits, and gives you perspective so you can motivate yourself to go after that buck or bull across the canyon.

As for age, I think that 40-50 year olds are better at endurance than 20-30 year olds. I know of the local cyclists and trail runners I know MORE 40 year olds finish in the top 10% than 30 year olds. It is an interesting phenomenon.

So I would say use each off season to rachet up your base fitness and push the limits when you can.

3 things to think about when putting together your workout plan that I learned about physical fitness when training my unit to go to AFG:

1. Cardio: (increase your VO2 max, roughly equated to your bodys ability to process oxygen) Basically any cardio exercise will accomplish this IE: exercise bike, running, biking, elliptical. It doesn't need to be high impact, to increase your cardio abilities.

2. Lower body strength: lunges, stairmaster, squats. We accomplished much of this by forced marches with loaded packs and by doing lunges/ect with our loaded packs. We all were issued packs, but not exercise equipment, so we used them out of neccessity.

3. Core Strength: This has alot to do with injury prevention, balance, and stability. When you put that much weight on your back you are using your core to stabilize the load over your legs. Those same muscles also support your spine and prevent you from falling.

I'm 45...first two mountain trips 245lbs. and a 40 pound pack. Not a great experience. You could sum up that hunt as a fat man with a overstuffed pack. It is a lot easier after I read a little on how and what to pack and shed some weight out of my pack...there are some great posts on what to pack for a back country hunt. Then changed my diet with some help from the local nutritionist (1500 well balanced calories was my starting point...probably 2000 less than what I was eating) and a 4 day a week exersize plan that included 20 minutes of core training, 20 minutes on the treadmill and 20 minutes on the stairmaster. Four months later I was hunting the mountains at 185lbs with a 30lbs pack...it made a huge difference. Now workouts are 20 minutes of core activity, 30 minutes on the stairmaster (twice a week I wear a pack with 20lbs), and run for about 20 to 30 minutes. Weekends I will run for about an hour to an hour and a half.

I'm going to agree with mixedbag and and MNHunter somewhat. I'm 60 and running is no longer part of the program. The best thing I can do is lose the winter fat. Sometimes I must resort to a formal diet plan to accomplish that. Shedding 25-30 lbs (or whatever is appropriate for you) makes a huge difference on many levels. I get in shape by carrying a loaded pack (not overloaded) and hiking up and down the mountains as much as possible. If you don't have access to mountains, the football stadium is a good second choice. The most important thing I have learned is to hunt smarter, not harder. I've hunted longer, farther and higher than I ever thought possible by slowing down the pace, eating and drinking properly, and taking a nap in the middle of the day. Nutrition and hydration are extremely important during the hunt. Heating up a can of Dinty Moore (sorry Fin) and throwing back a beer at the end of the day doesn't get it. Jerky and trail mix are good snacks but not good nutrition. I was on an elk hunt in the mountains for 17 days last year and could of kept on hunting. It must be working because everyone I hunt with is much younger than me and I always leave them behind.

Round is a shape!

If you are starting from square 1, MNHunter has a darn good start.

I think the biggest thing for me is I have made being in good shape is part of my daily routine, year around. The older you get, it is harder to get back into "fighting" shape after months of neglect. I decided the best way to get in shape is not fall out of shape.

For me, I found running was the best way to do this. I started running in 2007. (At 41 years old) At 46, I am currently training for marathons 6&7 in 2012. I have also completed 3 50K's in the mountains. I am in the best shape of my life and weigh less than I did when I graduated from college in 1985. As per Rocky, I don't have the best 5K times, (I hate them), but I train for endurance. I can endure a lot of pain and discomfort in long races and generally do pretty well. The longer the race, the better I place overall. (Call it old man toughness! LOL!)

Hunted for 13 days for elk in Wyo last year and fitness was huge in being able to huge from Day 1 to final hour of last day. Covered ~ 100 miles in that time.

I like a lot of biking. easier on the knees and I feel the motion of biking is more like hiking hills than running is because you lift your legs more. I then convert to more hiking and steep hills a few weeks before the hunting season.

The tricky part for us flatlanders is the oxygen...or lack thereof....we have plenty of steep hills here in North Cackalacki; however, the air is thick. If you are planning on hunting above 10,000 feet try to get your cardio up as much as possible, but also try to stay at 10,000 for 24 hours before you put the big pack on. Where I hunt out west, I come in off the top, so I can spend the first evening/morning glassing with limited effort trying to get my body to pump up it's oxygen carrying capabilities....then we dive in once we find them....however, nothing can top living in elevation already. Hydration is something that cannot be stated enough

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caleb_u
Back