Over 40 mountain fitness?

Interesting.... Sounds like everyone does things a little different. I definitely gotta switch Blizzard flavors. This whole time I was getting M&M instead of Brownie Batter!!! Rookie mistake. What was I thinking?!

You want to get plenty of protein, carbs and good fats

Attachments

• burger.jpg
    burger.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 502
I like a lot of biking. easier on the knees and I feel the motion of biking is more like hiking hills than running is because you lift your legs more. I then convert to more hiking and steep hills a few weeks before the hunting season.

Schmaltz, I do notice the Trail runners who Bike a lot of hills are beasts running up hill.

Interesting.... Sounds like everyone does things a little different. I definitely gotta switch Blizzard flavors. This whole time I was getting M&M instead of Brownie Batter!!! Rookie mistake. What was I thinking?!

Amateur. Let me offer some sound advice that I have been paying the price for in diligently trying to work off in the last year (definetely making good headway). Chocolate Extreme, loose the brownies, add pecans. Only way to fly.

Great thread - reading and absorbing info intently...

Last edited:
For you guys that bike, doesn't it just kill your butt? I've tried a few times with padded seats, etc., but no matter what I try my butt is numb in about 10 minutes. I think it would be a good option on cross training, but haven't ever been able to get past that part.

The other drawback to biking is the guys I know who do it spend several thousand bucks on their bikes. What does it cost to get a bike that would be decent but not break the bank?

For you guys that bike, doesn't it just kill your butt? I've tried a few times with padded seats, etc., but no matter what I try my butt is numb in about 10 minutes. I think it would be a good option on cross training, but haven't ever been able to get past that part.

Thats the same problem I have. I would love to get into Mtn Biking, but way too painful afterwards

Thats the same problem I have. I would love to get into Mtn Biking, but way too painful afterwards

Trick is to wear the shorts with the pads in them, and then just ride. It takes a few weeks, but eventually you stop noticing the seat.

Being 64 going on 65 I found that getting prepared for my mountain goat hunt last year was difficult at best. Walk 4-5 miles each day at altitude. Go to the local football field and climb the bleachers for an hour as often as possible. Eat smart and lose weight. Then, when your trip is in the offing you will suffer much less than anticipated. Albeit, you will suffer. But, this is part of the hunt. This, you will remember fondly as memories will remain. I would do it again in a heart beat! MTG

The other drawback to biking is the guys I know who do it spend several thousand bucks on their bikes. What does it cost to get a bike that would be decent but not break the bank?

Wider and more cushioning may not be more comfortable. It's got to fit you right, kinda like boots. A saddle that fits and time in it is about the only way around it. It' may not be super comfortable but it's not as if its unbearable.

I bike every other day, a lot of discomfort or "numbnuts" as I call it has to do with proper adjustment of your seat height and angle. Also a good pair of riding shorts with padding will help immensely, I'm not into the whole riding outfit deal but the shorts do work.
I bought a Trek mountain bike and ride bike paths after work in town during the week, they are nice because I have 20 miles of uninterrupted riding and no worries of traffic. I paid around $600 for my bike and it has held up very well, they require maintenance like anything else so just take them into a bike shop at least once a year and have them tuned up.

I will be 48 this year, I have had knee surgeries but as long as I am careful I don't have any problems. I ride 3 or 4 times a week and alternate that with running along with push-ups/sit-ups and an occasional free weight workout.

I don't have any problems keeping pace with guys half my age (as least as far as they will ever know:D)

Will be 5 weeks this coming monday since complete right knee replacement. Yesterday was first comfortable stationary bike (recumbent) session since commencing cardio two weeks ago...went 15 minutes and peaked at level 10. Plan on hitting the crosstrainer today. Flexion is at 120 degrees and gaining every session and extension is 0 degrees. Doc ok'd light weights day before yesterday at my one month checkup. Been doing (Doc ok'd) 25 lb dbell bicep curls since second week. Look fwd to pain free cardio and resistance training in the very short future. One of the suprising but heartily welcomed benefits of phys therapy has been the stretching routine the PT turned me onto. As my Orth Doc advised, lower back and hip pain has been alleviated from new knee provided improved gait and stretch/strenghtening regimen. Will stick with hi intensity/low impact cardio w/ hi rep weight resistance...and a sound nutrition regimen. I want to be 200 consistently...surgery knocked about half of what I need to lose but will need to be disciplined as appetite returns....am 207 presently. Presenty doing extensive rehab exercises at home plus facility.PT supervised one hour session MWF....PT sessions a minimum of two more weeks. Pain meds are down to half dose and otc (aleve, etc) has been ok'd. Plan on weaning completely in next week or two.

...am 40 x 1.5 plus one....ready for my third (or fourth?) childhood.:)

Really looking fwd to Oct in the rockies this coming season.:hump:

Last edited:
NHY,

I'm impressed with your determination. Keep it up. Don't get too hung up on the pounds since they can vary with hydration. But they can provide a good base line of your progress. Many trainers use calipers and body measurements to estimate Body fat % and track your progress every few weeks.

If you can go longer on the machines and feel better that is what counts. Keep up the good work.

keep posting the suggestions guys.

50, 240 lbs, smoke camel non filters(1 -2 packs a day). drive a truck from 5 PM to 5 AM 6 days a week, so workout time is limited. be doing this for the first time this year in either wyoming or arizona.

first question - when you walk or climb with packs, what do you use for weight in the pack? second - at what point do you switch from the workout shoes to the boots you will be wearing on the hunt?

50, 240 lbs, smoke camel non filters(1 -2 packs a day).

Imperative to stop that.

25 lbs of books, dumbell, etc wrapped in a blanket or large towel in the pack...incline treadmill with your huntng boots & good socks (be sure to let the boots dry after).....graduate the time, speed, and incline...but get off those dam'd cigarettes and arguing with Jose asap.:D

...watched my brother and father die way too darned young from unhealthy lifestyles.

better chance at the stop smoking than the other NHY.:D

try to stay away from the dumbell as I had a buddy who hurt his back with one doing this. was thinking maybe a large bag of ice to start. 21 pounder. never thought about the book idea. thanks.

do the treadmill already at the highest incline. 20-30 minutes a day. guess I'll have to join a gym to get back on a stairmaster.

TLC. I'd build some cardio before you move up to weighted packs. Do a couch to 5K training program. At First it will be walk/jog, but before long you will be jogging more than walking. You can do this wherever you are and don't need a gym.

I'd use a good running shoe from a local running store that will fit you and watch you jog/walk. Use the boots when you do a hike with a pack. The shoes should last you at least 250 miles. Skinny runt runners can get 500 miles out of a pair of shoes but I seldom get more than 300.

This will accomplish a couple of things. It will strengthen your connective tissue to reduce chance of injury, It will also help build back some of the respiratory capacity you lost from smoking. And when you start withthe weighted pack you won't be limited by cardio so you can give your legs as much work as you want.

Now I'm not a trainer, but getting hooked up with one to build a program you can do on a regular basis is worthwhile. I think you could do one in 30-45 minutes a day with 4 more intense days, 2 active but low key days and one rest day.

Last edited:
they don't make running shoes that fit the wide width of my feet. 5E. my plan was to keep the walking going for another month or so, then start walking with the pack. thought about doing the old Walter Peyton hill routine. start out walking up a hill, then get to where I can jog up it. have some decent slope on the ground at the farm. when I get OK at that, will start doing it on the national forest behind the farm. slope is a lot steeper. and shorter.:D

might get some pictures so you can see the slopes I am talking about. not impressive compared to out there, but best we have here.

New Balance...
I'm wearing a pair of 876 in 4E's right now

Wide New Balance Running Shoes
If you have a wide foot, running shoes that fit you may be hard to find elsewhere, but New Balance has been making such shoes for us for more than 25 years. The New Balance 1105 is exclusive to the Hitchcock line of wide running shoes in widths to 6E. We also stock the extremely stable New Balance 1540 wide running shoe in both 4E and 6E. Give your wide foot running shoes that fit by picking from the styles below.

If impact is a problem, don't over look ellipticals in the Gym. Sounds like you have a good program started.

Last edited:
Just got in my first 12 mile run ever in my life today. Was an "easy" run which is supposed to be at 70% of my maximum heart rate, but I ended up going over that on the last 4 miles. Was doing really good before that and just couldn't make myself slow down enough to get my heart rate back in line on those last 4 miles. 12.13 miles in 2:12:32 for a 10:56 pace. Avg heart rate was 154. That's a snail like pace to many of those who have posted, but considering the fact that one year ago I wasn't able to run 3 miles without walking I'm pretty happy with it.

I just went back and looked at my runkeeper and on 2/13/11 I ran/walked 3.03 flat miles at a 12:27 pace and although I didn't have a heart rate monitor at the time I guarantee my average heart rate was a LOT higher than 154. I didn't work out at all in March and jogged 1.92 miles at a 10:29 pace on 4/11/11 without walking. I really didn't start trying to get in shape until May.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caleb_u
Back