Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Over 40 mountain fitness?

been wearing new balance for as long as I can remember. expensive, but they last a while for me. not running shoes though.:D

never seen the 6E before.

Nice job npaden! It is really cool to see your progress.

TLC- As far as weight/ballast, several ideas. I use softner salt. Dog food or milk jugs with water will work also. The water idea is good as you can drink it if you run out of drinking water, or you can dump it if you injure yourself.

I workout 3 times a week at the Y in the winter (elliptical with some minor weight training for kicks). In the summer, some bike riding, some walking, some light jogging and then when I start getting within a couple months of the hunt I grab the weighted backpack and hit a steep hill here (and THAT is tough!).

My downfall is I love sweets. To go without is unrealistic. So I made myself a deal....very, very few storebought treats, but I can still partake in a good homemade blueberry crisp or something (with no ice cream). One little trick that has helped me lose weight is to eat fruit and drink water before a meal so you dont stuff yourself with things that are not so healthy (ie white bread, etc).

I like Crossfit type workouts because I hate running. These workouts are 15-30 minutes and you build up strength and cardio. I did 3-4 workouts a week and did a Tough Mudder event last year at age 42. It was 13 miles, started at 6,000 feet and went up to 9000 feet with 20 obstacles in between. Cardio wasn't a problem only some cramping due to dehydration and all the ice cold water some of the obstacles were in. Check out traintohunt.com for some great info and workouts.

Spend money on a good bike seat. As far as bikes go, if you are on a budget go used because for 6-800 will get you a much nicer bike than the same price new.

Foir some reason this thread brought this quote to mind;:D

Louis Prima: With all the great players playing ball right now, how well do you think you would do against today's pitchers?
Ty Cobb: Well, I figure against today's pitchers I'd only probably hit about .290
Louis Prima: .290? Well that's amazing, because you batted over .400 a... a whole bunch of times. Now tell us all, we'd all like to know, why do you think you'd only hit .290?
Ty Cobb: Well, I'm 72 f*#king years old you ignorant son of a b#*ch.

One of the best sports interviews EVER! Tommy Lee played the part pretty well too I thought.

TLC, use water for your pack weight.If you start to hurt yourself from too much weight, you can dump it out.I wear my hunting boots on all walks to break them in properly.I'd worry more about the smoking when your actually hunting;patches will take care of that.Your lungs are use to what you do to them.obviously, you'll do best to cut back or quit,but if you can't,concentrate on your legs,core and stamina
You don't have to be a runner or tri-athelete to hunt elk.You do have to have the strength and endurance to keep pushing though.It will only get tougher on day 5 when you put that elk down and have to get it out,and your legs feel like jello

I hike when I can in the winter - typically 2-3 times a week - snowshoe if I have to but got to get the cardio workout in - try to get in about 3-4 miles. Often have to hike with pull on spikes over the boots to battle the sheets of ice on the trails.

When the weather gets decent in the spring, I start hiking daily or every other day and have a mountain loop I do that's about 4 miles. Takes about an hour and 15 minutes.

I'm 47 and I've been doing this for a long time. Nothing can help toughen up your ankles, make your knee ligaments strong, and make your leg muscles fit like actual hiking. If I have a big sheep hunt in the works, I usually start carrying some weight about 6 weeks out from the hunt. I've carried dog food bags and lots of other stuff for weight but I usually just end up packing up my pack with all my gear that I hunt with and get after it.

I hike religiously and I will tell you, it works when hunting season rolls around - you are less fatigued, muscles don't hurt, and you feel strong - makes all the hunts much more enjoyable. My 19 and 24 year old sons can't even hang with me - that's when you feel pretty badass about your training regimen.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back