One way to stop a corner cross

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is a landowner going to detain me on a piece of public land based on his assumption i trespassed to get there? I would think he would have some serious 4th amendment issues if so and worse potential issues than accusations of illegal corner crossing
No need to, he just calls the Sheriff and shows him where you trespassed. Hundreds of trespassing tickets are issued annually by Law Enforcement officers, it’s easy to convict if you’re caught on private lands without permission. This is why Wyoming lists it as one of the most common Game violations.

7.Trespassing to hunt, fish or trap.
Hunters must have permission from the landowner to cross or hunt on private land. The Department recommends licensees obtain the signature of the landowner, lessee, or agent of the landowner as evidence that permission to hunt has been granted.

Last edited:
No need to, he just calls the Sheriff and shows him where you trespassed. Hundreds of trespassing tickets are issued annually by Law Enforcement officers, it’s easy to convict if you’re caught on private lands without permission. This is why Wyoming lists it as one of the most common Game violations.

7.Trespassing to hunt, fish or trap.
Hunters must have permission from the landowner to cross or hunt on private land. The Department recommends licensees obtain the signature of the landowner, lessee, or agent of the landowner as evidence that permission to hunt has been granted.
That officer won’t have PC to issue a trespassing citation when he shows up. Simply taking the landowners word for it is not enough evidence.

I do know of a recent case on Elk Mountain where two hunters attempted to lead their horses across a corner. The Judge didn’t buy their corner hopping defence. They were fined.

That officer won’t have PC to issue a trespassing citation when he shows up. Simply taking the landowners word for it is not enough evidence.
It’s pretty obvious when you are found on private land and your number 12 boot tracks are well imprinted in the snow. LMAO. How is that for PC, hundreds of cases of trespassing cases are issued citations annually. This is why it is one of the most common game violations.

It’s pretty obvious when you are found on private land and your number 12 boot tracks are well imprinted in the snow. LMAO. How is that for PC, hundreds of cases of trespassing cases are issued citations annually. This is why it is one of the most common game violations.
That’s a different situation than the landowner simply telling a deputy that they saw you trespass, which is what you originally said. I’d still like to see an actual case where someone was convicted of corner crossing when they actually crossed at the corner.

That’s a different situation than the landowner simply telling a deputy that they saw you trespass, which is what you originally said. I’d still like to see an actual case where someone was convicted of corner crossing when they actually crossed at the corner.
Landowner sees Hunter trespass, landowner calls County Sheriff. County Sheriff responds quickly and landowner points to hunter on landowners private land with hunters number 12 boots in the snow. Enough PC for you, LMAO.:cool::cool::cool:

Landowner sees Hunter trespass, landowner calls County Sheriff. County Sheriff responds quickly and landowner points to hunter on landowners private land with hunters number 12 boots in the snow. Enough PC for you, LMAO.:cool::cool::cool:
Landowner sees hunter “trespass”, landowner calls warden or deputy, they respond quickly, and landowner points to hunter on legally accessibly BLM land claiming they are trespassing. That scenario happens somewhere every single day during hunting season, which is why a little bit of proof is needed.

Of course you already knew this, and I’m not going to waste my time trying to explain it to you.

Landowner sees hunter “trespass”, landowner calls warden or deputy, they respond quickly, and landowner points to hunter on legally accessibly BLM land claiming they are trespassing. That scenario happens somewhere every single day during hunting season, which is why a little bit of proof is needed.

Of course you already knew this, and I’m not going to waste my time trying to explain it to you.
Yes those type also happen but more often it’s the hunter who has trespassed and most landowners know their land boundaries quite well. This is why it is one of the most often cited game violations and the responsibility of hunters to stay off private lands.

Yes those type also happen but more often it’s the hunter who has trespassed and most landowners know their land boundaries quite well.

Naive. I can show you plenty of ag trespass on BLM lands in my part of Montana, unlikely unique.
Just last week we stopped to talk with a landowner about crossing his private assess a 40 acre BLM parcel. He said no problem, but was unaware he had BLM in that area. Weird.😏

Yes, I'm sure there are many cases of trespass annually where citations are issued...not unique to WY at all. But we are talking corner crossing. You keep equating all trespass to this issue which is obfuscation at best.

Yes those type also happen but more often it’s the hunter who has trespassed and most landowners know their land boundaries quite well. This is why it is one of the most often cited game violations and the responsibility of hunters to stay off private lands.
You’re trying to use two different arguments as your talking points. There are a lot of citations for trespassing every year. There are not a lot, if any, citations for corner crossing. Leading a horse across a corner is different than hopping a corner.

This is pretty simple for you. Don’t corner hop so you don’t have to deal with Koch brothers’ attorney. There are a bunch of others that aren’t worried about it and feel they have a right to public land. To each their own..

Post 1 trespassing conviction in WY where the subject crossed at corners.
Post 1 case number for Carbon County where they prosecuted for trespassing and the subject crossed at the corners. Should be easy if CC actually prosecutes.
No Wyoming county will prosecute in a true corner crossing instance. In these cases, probable cause doesn’t exist to satisfy Wyoming Statute 6-3-303. As a police officer in Wyoming I have written numerous citations for trespassing, but corner crossing doesn’t fit the bill. It is understood not to be illegal. For this reason, myself and many others use corner crossing to legally access our public lands.

You’re trying to use two different arguments as your talking points. There are a lot of citations for trespassing every year. There are not a lot, if any, citations for corner crossing. Leading a horse across a corner is different than hopping a corner.

This is pretty simple for you. Don’t corner hop so you don’t have to deal with Koch brothers’ attorney. There are a bunch of others that aren’t worried about it and feel they have a right to public land. To each their own..
You forgot the obligatory LMFAO.

I wonder if the threat of corner crossing being illegal actually works out better for landowners than decided case law? Be a real bummer for a landowner to take it to court, lose and have it clarified as a legal access method

I do know of a recent case on Elk Mountain where two hunters attempted to lead their horses across a corner. The Judge didn’t buy their corner hopping defence. They were fined.

I know of "attempts" to cross at corners as well and they were off by 100 yards. Way different than crossing at a corner and having a gps track.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back