Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

One way to stop a corner cross

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have fun telling the BLM agent your interpretation. It is not theirs. Call them as I have, corner hopping is Illegal and can be cited.
Last I checked marijuana is federally illegal, but states can legalize it. And for states that haven't legalized it, I can promise you are not charging the vast majority of possession crimes federally. The Magistrate in Missoula or Billings would kick the BLM attorney out of their courtroom if they decided to waste their time bring a corner-crossing case to their attention because as the @Hunting Wife said, it's strictly a CYA.

If you've talked to a BLM rep on the matter, I'd be curious as to who that was and at what state/office they work out of.

Last I checked marijuana is federally illegal, but states can legalize it. And for states that haven't legalized it, I can promise you are not charging the vast majority of possession crimes federally. The Magistrate in Missoula or Billings would kick the BLM attorney out of their courtroom if they decided to waste their time bring a corner-crossing case to their attention because as the @Hunting Wife said, it's strictly a CYA.

If you've talked to a BLM rep on the matter, I'd be curious as to who that was and at what state/office they work out of.
Rawlins Wyoming BLM and Carbon County DA are on record as they will prosecute.

“District Attorney Ashley Mayfield Davis and Sheriff Archie Roybal. I have confirmed with both agencies that they will prosecute individuals for criminal trespass seeking to corner cross from one parcel of PUBLIC land (BLM/State/National) to another parcel of PUBLIC land (BLM/State/National) even at a valid surveying mark and location.”

The BLM feds could only cite for a fed violation on BLM land. They may take position that corner hoping is illegal but I don’t see a practical example of how their position could be applied.
The private property trespass is a state issue. Each states law would apply to whether trespass occurred on private property.

As for airspace there is a pretty recent US Supreme Court case that denied faa regulatory of airspace under 500 ft.
You need to understand how trespassing can be charged and the jurisdiction the Feds have.
“US GOVERNMENT PROPERTY CAN BE DIVIDED INTO THREE CATEGORIES IN TERMS OF HOW ITS JURISDICTION OPERATES:

• Exclusive jurisdiction—Where federal criminal law applies exclusively, such as in a military base
  • Concurrent jurisdiction—Where both federal and state criminal law applies, such as in most national forests
  • Proprietary jurisdiction—Where the Federal government has no more rights than a landowner, such as when a US government agency purchases or rents a floor in a city office building.
  • https://www.columbuscriminalattorney.com/federal-crimes/federal-trespassing/

One piece of advice: use OnX and ZOOM IN. I found what I thought was a corner cross, but it's not. The two public pieces don't touch at a corner, but rather have a small overlap that you can't see until you zoom in a bit

So if I flap my arms when I hop the corner I’m good, right? Otherwise the aircraft would be trespassing the private airspace when it was x feet above the private ground flying in to access public land.
Aircraft are specifically exempt via statute. Flapping your arms across a property line will get them chopped off.
Sounds like you need to tie a half dozen party balloons on your backpack. Best if you find some blaze orange ones.

Have fun telling the BLM agent your interpretation. It is not theirs. Call them as I have, corner hopping is Illegal and can be cited.
Having beers with my local BLM agents tonight when I get home. We’ve talked about this before, but after a sixer or two maybe we’ll have this problem licked tonight.

You clearly don’t understand how federal agencies and the Office of the Solicitor work when it comes to interpreting state and local laws.

Good luck with your easements.

Sounds like you need to tie a half dozen party balloons on your backpack. Best if you find some blaze orange ones.
No need to for myself as I don’t trespass when I hunt. There is plenty of good legally accessible public lands without trespassing.
Sounds like you enjoy trespassing along the Hershey trail hiking up Brokeback mountain with your twinks. You can try pink balloons.

Last edited:
Having beers with my local BLM agents tonight when I get home. We’ve talked about this before, but after a sixer or two maybe we’ll have this problem licked tonight.

You clearly don’t understand how federal agencies and the Office of the Solicitor work when it comes to interpreting state and local laws.

Good luck with your easements.
Don’t forget to show them the current Federal interpretation. You clearly don’t understand how federal agencies and the Office of the Solicitor work when it comes to interpreting state and local laws. Perhaps they can enlighten you, thou doubtful.
“It is illegal to cross public land at corners. Some areas in the West are “checker-boarded” with public and private lands, or otherwise have sections of public land that are difficult to reach. When the only place tracts of public land touch is at a corner, it may seem like a logical thing to step over the corner from one piece of public land to another. Every year hunters armed with GPS units and maps give it a try. Unfortunately, it is illegal to cross at boundary corners. https://www.blm.gov/press-release/access-tips-hunting-blm-lands

I really don't see the feds getting involved in a trespass case of corner crossing. Being on BLM land is not a crime and its really not on them to enforce if someone trespassed private land to get to their lands. The issue would be up to DoJ to seek prosecution if there were to be federal involvement and I can all but guarantee you they are not touching a corner crossing case with a 10 foot pole. They do not have the resources to worry about something so petty and vague...its tough to get them to take cases where there is actual damage to federal lands with nefarious/criminal intent.

I personally would not engage in corner crossing for hunting simply because I'm out there to enjoy myself and I don't want to have the hassle of an angry landowner, a sheriff etc. However, I'd be all for looking for some test cases and trying to get a prosecutor to take a corner crossing case through so precedent could be set/established. I don't think existing case law leaves a clear answer. Corner crossing members of the public have basically nothing to lose...private landowners who block access and enjoy exclusive access to public lands have a lot to lose and that is why I don't think anyone can come up with a good case where corner crossing was prosecuted. Intimidation and doubt are in the favor of the private landowners...actually losing in court could be devastating to them. Just imagine the horror of the public having legal access to public lands which you've used as though they were yours for decades? Probably gives some of these guys nightmares just thinking about it :LOL:

No need to for myself as I don’t trespass when I hunt. There is plenty of good legally accessible public lands without trespassing.
Sounds like you enjoy trespassing along the Hershey trail hiking up Brokeback mountain with your twinks. You can try pink balloons.
Knowing antlerradar personally, your statement of assumption is one of the absolute dumbest things I’ve ever read.

Don’t forget to show them the current Federal interpretation. You clearly don’t understand how federal agencies and the Office of the Solicitor work when it comes to interpreting state and local laws. Perhaps they can enlighten you, thou doubtful.
“It is illegal to cross public land at corners. Some areas in the West are “checker-boarded” with public and private lands, or otherwise have sections of public land that are difficult to reach. When the only place tracts of public land touch is at a corner, it may seem like a logical thing to step over the corner from one piece of public land to another. Every year hunters armed with GPS units and maps give it a try. Unfortunately, it is illegal to cross at boundary corners. https://www.blm.gov/press-release/access-tips-hunting-blm-lands
Yep, don’t know a thing about how the feds work. Ya learnd me. 🙄

@antlerradar is probably one of the least incentivized guys on Hunttalk to trespass in the first place, but I'm glad we kept the conversation a civil discourse of maturity. Not that this thread needed to be an argument, but it has seemingly just devolved into one, and I'm a believer that when you raise your voice or name call, it's probably time to step away from the topic being discussed.

Enjoy your fall season, @Highfastflyer. I appreciate that you mentioned the North Dakota model, even though I do not think it is relevant to other existing states based on how / when it was established. I also appreciate that you cited a few articles and examples throughout this thread, even if I disagree with the totality or certainty of said opinions you view within them. I hope one day there's a solution to corner crossing that meets your desire to not stress about it and allows you to access thousands of acres of public land without giving up your moral high horse for hypothetical discussions in an online forum.

Knowing antlerradar personally, your statement of assumption is one of the absolute dumbest things I’ve ever read.
Have fun with him and all your bare bears and twinks. I’m sure you all have a real rompin’ good time for those who get off on that.

No one should ever take me seriously, unless I am talking about shed antlers or the downfall of eastern MT public land mule deer.

2nd dumbest.

Trynna figure out what alleged homosexuality has to do with empty claims of civil judgements for corner hopping. Are you homophobic?
Certainly not, live and let live. Anybody who wants to parade around with pink camouflage balloons is certainly free to do so, just don’t hunt near me as your Ignorance and style of hunting is far different than mine. I prefer to harvest an animal on publicly accessible lands and remain stealthy not parading along as you with your twinks and bare bears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back