Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

One way to stop a corner cross

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 185467
"Trespassing POS better NOT have crossed from this corner of public sidewalk over to that other corner of public sidewalk! That's like walking through a man's living room and kissin' his wife!"
This proves as much as anything what the corning crossing issue is really about. No one cares if a pedestrian crosses through the air space next to a sidewalk; but we are supposed to believe that is what concerns a larger land owner adjacent to public land.

I don't want someone coming through my living room to get to the post office. Similarly, I don't want someone to ag trespass on my public land. I am weird like that.;)View attachment 185438
Situations like this make me lose goodwill towards landowners. A landowner is adamant about not allowing the public to violate one inch of his private property rights, meanwhile fence lines and ag fields wander in and out of public land.

Wonder how many would walk their talk.

Like your "honeyhole" on our public land? If you found access via an indiscriminate corner not totally adjoined, would you share it on hunt talk as an accessible route to our public land?

If you had the opportunity to purchase land that was fantastic... but for one fumbling point... it checkerboards public land that once had a celebrity helo in to hunt due it's challengingaccess... would you open a corner of your land to the public, publicly? The area you would personally hunt now inundated with those quality unknown public land hunters?
Better if you owned premier checkerboard land - would you enroll it w/ block management for open public access?

I've no doubt a couple of you may walk the entire talk... maybe the entire talk, maybe... I'm not soliciting a public declaration you would / would not. This is an internet forum with a large anonymous collection, after all.

Me? A few of these points... F no.
Block Management? Not a chance. I want my land respected.
MY premier honey hole exposed to every Tom, Dick, and Harriet because I allow untold public people access through my land? Watch the bulls turn to rags as big bull after big bull is dragged across the corner of your private land you opened to the open public?

Or... let's rationalize this: Is it the same to keep it hush to select tight friends? Would that be permissible corner crossing?

Maybe a couple of you who've killed your wall hangers... you miiight open the only corner of the checkerboard to the unknown turdbag public land hunters who don't give a rats about your land or for that matter, our public land...

Reality check internally... I'd support the fight to find some measure of public --> public access at private corners though don't think I'd advertise access to all the public through my property - aka enroll in BMA.

Nowadays, I'd likely lease my land or enroll it in the "Masters program".

**Respect and an arrogant sense of entitlement has devastated the public's access to/through private land.

You mention people walking their talk but nobody is talking like that.

Not being antagonistic to people respectfully accessing public land adjacent to your property doesn’t mean you have to encourage and advertise using said adjacent public property.

I hear what you're saying though 100% disagree.

If the shoe fits... what would the vast majority do with their corner crossing point of private land?

No need to answer... my initial post stands as it's shared.

I personally want and may personally have used our public land via a corner.

I'm opposed to land locked Public property however there's a lot of talk I sure as shit know wouldn't do the walk if in the other's shoes.

Mark them with a post or a walk through. Or keep dumping money that doesn’t ensure access. It’s not hard, plenty of government employees to do it.

Not publicizing an opportunity for the sake of preserving quality is a far cry from preventing opportunity because exclusivity is desired.

I am having a hard time seeing the connection between accessing my public land across connecting corners at the pin and walking into a private living room....

Is it kind of like “if you give a mouse a cookie.....”?
Maybe it’s because a certain industry is so used to getting all they can get and then trying for more that they don’t believe anyone an respect boundaries? 😏
“If you give MOGA elk tags, next thing you know they’ll be drinking your beer and changing the channel while you’re trying to watch football.”

Not publicizing an opportunity for the sake of preserving quality is a far cry from preventing opportunity because exclusivity is desired.

I am having a hard time seeing the connection between accessing my public land across connecting corners at the pin and walking into a private living room....

Is it kind of like “if you give a mouse a cookie.....”?
Maybe it’s because a certain industry is so used to getting all they can get and then trying for more that they don’t believe anyone an respect boundaries? 😏
“If you give MOGA elk tags, next thing you know they’ll be drinking your beer and changing the channel while you’re trying to watch football.”
It’s not like this in every state but anything that restricts opportunity in Montana is good for wildlife. Im not against corner crossing but you damn sure better know where you step. Management of wildlife would relieve the pressure in Montana and it wouldn’t be hard to put walk throughs on corners. That would increase access for public lands with less cost.

If I ever win the Powerball, I'm buying some checkerboard and placing some trained killer dobermans at the corners so their noses touch at the corner....see you skinny guys squeeze between that 😆. Plus anti-aircraft guns for the helos...

Actually, I've always thought that if I were to come into mega bucks it would be nice to buy and donate some land that provides access to public for people. I'd still have some personal private though. I'm greedy like that.

Saw one place that they fenced opposite sides, but left a narrow walkway to access the locked public. It opened 1000 or so acres.

The detail was that the opening was narrow. To small for a horse, atv, car so ya had to walk. Seemed reasonable to me

So, if it is easier for me to access the post office by cutting across the corner of your lawn it’s ok? If that’s ok how about if I access the post office via your living room, exit out the back door? My point being is where will it end.
Do Not think I’m trying to create an argument, I just want to know where it ends when we begin eroding property rights.
I don't think anyone (myself included) is arguing that the public walks through your living room, but if you have to walk across a 2 foot corner of my lawn to get your mail Eric I'm ok with that. Wouldn't be very neighborly of me to make a stink over it. Key point of my post is that all parties try to be reasonable. I understand your concern about where the end point is, though. This is where the issue gets sticky. No landowner wants to be compelled to grant the public access to their land. The public doesn't want private landowners to block access to public land. We can go into detailed legal arguments about rights to air space above the corner and all that but it really shouldn't be necessary. Public land shares the same infinite corner as private. Who has access rights over the corner? Are they exclusive? Can the public claim damages against the private landowner every time said private owner drives a quad across the corner? I believe that would be extremely petty. Dare I say.. unreasonable. At the same time, when a member of the public steps across the pin to access another piece of public land I believe claiming damage or trespassing is also acting petty and unreasonable. It just seems to me that the heart of this issue is not truly about private property rights, it's about preserving exclusive access to those checkerboard pieces of public land.

WY last year on public had an adjacent landowner come say hello. She was out walking her hills with a sidearm because she had heard a hunter did not recover an antelope, and couldn’t bear to think about it lying out there somewhere suffering a slow death. She offered on her own what kind of bucks frequented the area, their movements, and other helpful info. She also mentioned a corner that could be hopped to access a windmill pond where some animals came to water. She asked if I had OnX to cross at the exact spot since it wasn’t marked, and I mentioned I did. We exchanged #s and I called her later with an update of my hunt.

It would be interesting to see a Per Capita basis of public hunters vs landowner hunters...
From my perspective, ask a public hunter to raise resident licensing fees and they shit their pants.
There's a reason more public ethical hunters are getting shut out of private land access... too many turd bag public hunters are harming the quality public hunters.

IMO, my two coppers of reflection on who, Per Capita, are more involved with wildlife conservation... my $ would be on the private landowners.

Even with the mass non resident owners of MT private land, I'd be curious if it's typically managed for the one of many purposes = valued flora / fauna.

My research of donations, as publicized by the likes of RMEF, private landowners are the top donors (land and $) for our conservation efforts.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to see a Per Capita basis of public hunters vs landowner hunters...
From my perspective, ask a public hunter to raise resident licensing fees and they shit their pants.
There's a reason more public ethical hunters are getting shut out of private land access... too many turd bag public hunters are harming the quality public hunters.

IMO, my two coppers of reflection on who, Per Capita, are more involved with wildlife conservation... my $ would be on the private landowners.

Even with the mass non resident owners of MT private land, I'd be curious if it's typically managed for the one of many purposes = valued flora / fauna.

My research of donations, as publicized by the likes of RMEF, private landowners are the top donors (land and $) for our conservation efforts.
For the sake or argument or in this case agreement, you are probably right.
However, how does “who does more for conservation” enter into a discussion about the legal rights of public landowners to access their property?
Even scumbags retain their rights.

For the sake or argument or in this case agreement, you are probably right.
However, how does “who does more for conservation” enter into a discussion about the legal rights of public landowners to access their property?
Even scumbags retain their rights.
"Not publicizing an opportunity" and exclusivity desired hold a fine line of rationalization. IMO. This is where the "who does more for conservation"... Not knocking your comment - clarifying mine.

Maybe I didn’t understand your earlier posts.
I know I am not posting or publicizing the areas I have success. (Protection of my interests and respect for others in the know.)
Neither am I going to or support restricting anyone who attempts to access any area of public land where they might attempt to find success. It might be an area I find special or it might be an area that keeps them from searching until they find “my” area. In fact, “my” areas are constantly changing and being found or no longer visited. That’s the beauty of being able to access my public land without restriction that doesn’t clearly violate legal restrictions intended to protect private property rights.

My land is my land. His land is his land.
The old saying, “Good fences, make good neighbors” works between private/private boundaries as well as private/public boundaries.
Whether the fence is literal or a legal delineation, it’s the same concept.
I make no apologies for legally utilizing every square inch of “my” land even while I respect the prohibition of trespass on someone else’s property.
Whether other people share the same respect for private property or not should never limit my access to my land.

If you had the opportunity to purchase land that was fantastic... but for one fumbling point... it checkerboards public land that once had a celebrity helo in to hunt due it's challenging access... would you open a corner of your land to the public, publicly? The area you would personally hunt now inundated with those quality unknown public land hunters?
Better if you owned premier checkerboard land - would you enroll it w/ block management for open public access?

I've no doubt a couple of you may walk the entire talk...
You're one that my comment relates to as "I've no doubt..." You're one of the few though even still, if yours was one of the properties that checkboard closed off access I'd be curious - if you would advertise for the public to access our public land via your corner - for sake of public access and I believe that is the situation landowners find themselves faced with - of which many, IMO, support and value conservation, etc.

This is where I believe many may not walk the talk. Any want to permit to and make the first step, literally and figuratively without having to change laws? Many statements within push an action and hostility towards landowners themselves... yet if they were in their shoes - I believe the anonymity secures some from honestly viewing from the other perspective. I don't want to quote specific people for sake of... we all know topics, such as this, bring out comments that don't necessarily reflect how they themselves would handle the same situation.

Myself, I wouldn't. I've no interest with stepping forward to permit access through what, in Montana, is considered my property. Why? public hunters lost their sense of respect for private land owners... Same with Block management. Other programs / operations offer better private land security.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back