New Truck Time - Testing and Sorting

Keep in mind that the truck probably had 65- 85 psi in the rear tires. Thats how most dealers set 3/4 ton trucks. Its not necessary or even good unless you are loaded/towing. Next time drop it down to 40psi and compare apples to apples
I can tell you that it will loose up tremendously when you disconnect the swaybar.
It still won't be as nice as an independent front suspension over bumps but having that solid front axle will make it articulate and keep tires on the ground avoiding the tetter totter feeling when you lift a tire in the air.

I might be wrong here, but I always understood that if you run pressure too low that it will heat up the tires and wear them out faster. I'm curious that if the specific tire is ok to run at 40 psi when it was made for 65-85 psi. I know that it is often done when off-roading (which does make a huge difference in comfort), but you aren't traveling at 65 mph.

Because they don't need to, and I think they are still recovering from the frame issues for both tocoma's and the tundras. Tough to justify dumping $50k into a truck for offroad capabilities, but it was an easy sell to get me into a 2019 tundra doublecab 4x4 base model for $30K, while also getting $9k for my 11 year old traded in tundra. Dump another $2k into bilsteins and offroad heavy load tires, and I'm ready for deer season.

It will be interesting to see the 2021 tundra and what kind of performance they get out of the twin turbo v6.

Toyota didn't really do anything to address the frames on the trucks.

Speaking of frames, my brother owns a body shop and said he's had to do more frame replacements on Ram HD trucks than the others. It was enough for him to tell me he wouldn't buy one.

Edit: he was specific that it was on the newer trucks and not the older Rams.

Last edited:
FWIW.... you all know ol' Doug ('92 W150) treats me right buuuuuut in relation to newer Rams (especially since the FCA fiasco) this is my experience by proxy. CPO had a a Ram Rebel for not quite 2 years and took it hunting twice. In that time he had the ecm for the entire dash go out, several intermittent electircal ticks, a intake howl the dealership refused to acknowledge and the big one ....that PITA air suspension that NEVER worked properly. In fact both years before hunting we tested the load at home prior to leaving to ensure the ridiculously low payload limit wasn't exceeded only to get to the trail head and have the truck refuse to air up. He downloaded that headache and got a F150 XLT FX4 ecoboost (and has now put the leveling kit on it) and has had nothing but great things to say about it. At least 4 mpg more highway than the Ram. Also, when we go to camp he pulls a trailer through some nasty stuff with no issues. This is an incredible add on... https://locknroll.com/gclid=CjwKCAi...XxUuPlo8o0cvhLDoW6Bc69tKXofnk5CRoCXuMQAvD_BwE

I might be wrong here, but I always understood that if you run pressure too low that it will heat up the tires and wear them out faster. I'm curious that if the specific tire is ok to run at 40 psi when it was made for 65-85 psi. I know that it is often done when off-roading (which does make a huge difference in comfort), but you aren't traveling at 65 mph.
Take for instance an E 10 ply tire.
Most will have an 80 + psi MAX pressure at MAX load(usually 3400+pounds)
That is not what it was meant to be run at under all conditions. It is only the max it should ever be at
So on my little truck has E rated toyos with 3457lb rating if I put the tires at maximum pressure I could support the weight of the truck with full payload on two tires. Search how to chalk test tires to get best results. Also most manufacturers have charts of what psi a tire should be at for each weight.
Most 3/4 ton trucks are set up to have max payload on the tires at 65+psi for liability reasons. The dealership doesn't know what you will be doing with your truck. If you drive around without max payload then you are driving on the center section of the tire and wearing out the middle of the tire. You are also loosing traction and increasing
braking distance with over inflated tires.

I haven't done the math yet but you could just pick up a lightly used 4x4 of your liking and add aftermarket toys such as a locker, upgraded shocks, tires, etc and maybe save on the cost of the fancy power wagon sticker and added bells and whistles that tack on 15K and are largely useless off-road. Randy Newberg Overlander....

Looks like these can be had for high $40K, between $47-49K for a 2019 with 15,000 to 20,000 miles. Not many private sales out there as there are dealer sales. Dealers always want to add sales tax if not in MT, which is another 6-7%. In MT, they seem to mark them up more (because they can) and the dealer gets the equivalent of the sales tax.

Anyone have first-hand comments (not interested in more YouTube videos) about the stiffness of the ride on these when bouncing up a rock pile, which is often the real life situation for us. Dealer didn't seem too keen on me keeping it for a day or two to do some of my own analysis.
While I can't comment on the "power wagon" I can comment on their other 3/4 tons. They're a rough ride. I drive one every day for work. My personal vehicle is a Chevy. I have nothing against Dodges, but they are tough on your body driving around. Spending as much time as you do in a vehicle I would think comfort would be one of your top requirements! Just a quick test drive of a dodge, chevy and a ford will quickly show you who has a more comfortable ride. As far as off-road capabilities, I have a 3" lift in my personal truck and the wrangler duratracs. I have yet to find something I couldn't get through or over. So taking that into consideration when choosing a vehicle could be useful. Trail Boss comes with a 2" lift and duratracs, and the Rebel and raptor both come in at about the same with all right about that 10" of clearance.

@Big Fin

You should spend the day in a F150 with the 3.5 eco boost and FX4. I’ve had mine in your neck of the woods south East of Ennis and didn’t find anything that even concerned me. Back here in MI with 8ply BFG All terrain it plows thru snow without hesitation. I have yet to feel uncomfortable driving it off road.

See if you can get it for the day and hook your trailer up to it and find some highway hills. See how it does, the V8 sucks but the 3.5l is supposed to do well.

I will be the most comfortable interior you fill find for 4 big guys.

The only mod I would suggest is the 2” leveling kit and removing the Air dam for better off road clearance.

You will save a considerable amount over the power wagon and have a much nicer ride. 90 % of your driving will appreciate that and it will be more than capable of the 10 hell you want to push it thru.

Also get one with the 8” sync3 navigation. It is absolutely Awsome for trips.

@Big Fin

You should spend the day in a F150 with the 3.5 eco boost and FX4. I’ve had mine in your neck of the woods south East of Ennis and didn’t find anything that even concerned me. Back here in MI with 8ply BFG All terrain it plows thru snow without hesitation. I have yet to feel uncomfortable driving it off road.

See if you can get it for the day and hook your trailer up to it and find some highway hills. See how it does, the V8 sucks but the 3.5l is supposed to do well.

The only mod I would suggest is the 2” leveling kit and removing the Air dam for better off road clearance.

You will save a considerable amount over the power wagon and have a much nicer ride. 90 % of your driving will appreciate that and it will be more than capable of the 10 hell you want to push it thru.

Everyone I know with an Ecoboost has had the "boost" go out. I feel like the F150 is meant to be a disposable vehicle.

You will be disappointed in the Chevy when it comes to pulling power and fuel mileage. I have a 2018 f150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost. It gets good fuel mileage pulling a trailer loaded down with 4 guys it has tons of room in the cab. I had a Titan and traded it for a Silverado because of the fuel mileage I got with the Titan. Traded the Silverado for the Ford because the Silverado was always screaming when pulling a trailer. The cab of the Ford is way bigger than the Silverado. The twin turbo v6 has no problem pulling trailers up and down the mountains. No other truck has an engine that will out do the 3.5 and still gets decent mileage when pulling a trailer. I averaged 12.4 mpg 4 guys with all our gear and 2 4 wheelers. With the Chevy I was lucky to get 6.

Everyone I know with an Ecoboost has had the "boost" go out. I feel like the F150 is meant to be a disposable vehicle.
Turbos have been used forever. That's the last thing I would be worried about. They are very basic. Every diesel truck and semi you see has at least one on it.

That’s surprising, I have yet to know of someone with a turbo failure on them. A couple friends are well past 200,000 and have just had normal maintenance. Wonder if it is the altitude difference.

You will be disappointed in the Chevy when it comes to pulling power and fuel mileage. I have a 2018 f150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost. It gets good fuel mileage pulling a trailer loaded down with 4 guys it has tons of room in the cab. I had a Titan and traded it for a Silverado because of the fuel mileage I got with the Titan. Traded the Silverado for the Ford because the Silverado was always screaming when pulling a trailer. The cab of the Ford is way bigger than the Silverado. The twin turbo v6 has no problem pulling trailers up and down the mountains. No other truck has an engine that will out do the 3.5 and still gets decent mileage when pulling a trailer. I averaged 12.4 mpg 4 guys with all our gear and 2 4 wheelers. With the Chevy I was lucky to get 6.
I just hauled a 30ft tow behind jayco from southern arizona to southeast idaho with 3 guys all our gear and the dog and got 9.9mpg in my 2009 silverado even going over all those passes. I was actually incredibly surprised how well my 1500 pulled that big of a trailer.
But I do agree with you on the EcoBoost. My buddy has one and it pulls his boat like nothing with good mpg.

You
I just hauled a 30ft tow behind jayco from southern arizona to southeast idaho with 3 guys all our gear and the dog and got 9.9mpg in my 2009 silverado even going over all those passes. I was actually incredibly surprised how well my 1500 pulled that big of a trailer.
But I do agree with you on the EcoBoost. My buddy has one and it pulls his boat like nothing with good mpg.
You must be lucky then. My 2013 was lucky to get 6. My buddy has a 14 and he is in the same area I was. He actually blew up the motor in his this year going out to Colorado pulling the trailer. I stopped on the way out and took everything the rest of the way.

I've got a 2014 F150 with a 5.0 and a rear locker. Did the 2" level spacers in the front and a 1" block in the rear. The winch mount was a 30 minute bolt on that's pretty clean looking and inexpensive. Just hit 40k miles last week. It's been a great truck. I only tow 4000 pounds occasionally but it handles it easily. Only complaint is real chains don't fit on the front, just cables.

Reactions: LCH
@Big Fin

This is what I did as well and LOVE it. Has done everything I wanted/needed during my hunts, and has pulled a 5000 lb. trailer this winter without problems. Excited to see what you get. A "new" truck is always fun!

As if I needed to complicate this decision, I involved the crew in the discussion today. Asked their input for what is most important to them for what we do, what space we need, what the ride/room needs to be in the back seat, etc. That was a surprise to learn what they placed highest priority on.

And, it was an investment of about 20 man hours of productivity in one day.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back