Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

New Truck Time - Testing and Sorting

What about a turbo V6 Ford? Better gas mileage and tow well.
I have renter those abt 4 times. Never got better than 19+ mpg when I was trying.
Heck of a lot of fun w/ a heavy foot.
Huge clearance, did great while empty in heavy snow and 4wd. Also on heavy mudded logging trail.
But was hauling a minimal amount of gear.
Very roomy.
But I would not own one. 10 spd transmission. Was always shifting. shuts off while at stop lights.
Can over ride that but have to do it at every start up

what does that do for you ? Curious
If you’ve ever been stuck and tried to get out with the traction control on that’s why.

One of my complaints about most half ton pickups is you need to jump through hoops to actually turn it off. Traction control is great if you stay on the hard slab but if you actually do take your truck off road it’s terrible.

Sounds like the tundra will have a whole new redesign for 2021, including being more "techy". Not sure what that will entail, but hearing a twin turbo V6 to start, which will be great for gas mileage. Unfortunately, I had to replace my 08 tundra last spring, and went with a 2019 model.

Another option might be a conversion van from Sportsmobile. Or the Mercedes Sprinter with 4X4.... Just thinking of the ability to haul and protect gear.

Besides that, I'm partial to GM. I like the LS series engines. I may be looking to go to a trailer pulling truck and I'll likely go GM for it.

That being said, I drive a Tacoma these days. It's probably a little too light duty for loading up. They don't have much payload capacity.

While lockers are great, some of the traction control systems these days are actually pretty good. Toyota's system works well.... especially the system used on the Offroad. It actually has an electric brake assist that grabs whichever brake pretty hard if needed.

I'm curios about buying a used one. For years, I've driven old cars and did almost all of my own work. I built my first engine before I had a driver's license, so I'm not afraid of fixing a car. That being said, the price of used 4X4 trucks is so close to buying a new one, I ended up buying a new Tacoma in 2016. Granted, I'm willing to give up some options for fewer miles when talking about new vs. old. I honestly couldn't find the value in buying a used 4X4. Maybe if I didn't keep a car so long.

Always fun to watch the off-road video comparisons, most of which are in Moab or some other desert environment.
No video comparison here, I know it's not relevant to your situation Randy, but without doubt the best, most sought after truck in the used market in the UK is the Toyota Hilux, Top Gear did me no favours when they tried to kill a Hilux, cost me a load more but it has given me years of mainly trouble free motoring, Toyota are so reliable.
We are limited in choice though the price of gas over here is 3 times what you pay.
Anyway enjoy the video
Cheers
Richard

why not just get another 2017 pro4x randy? seems to me it's not hard to find another one of those with well under 50k on it, even under 30k

if it ain't broke don't fix it right?

heck i even can find 2015s with less than 60k occasionally

is it the montana location that makes low mileage used trucks particularly difficult to find?

No video comparison here, I know it's not relevant to your situation Randy, but without doubt the best, most sought after truck in the used market in the UK is the Toyota Hilux, Top Gear did me no favours when they tried to kill a Hilux, cost me a load more but it has given me years of mainly trouble free motoring, Toyota are so reliable.
We are limited in choice though the price of gas over here is 3 times what you pay.
Anyway enjoy the video
Cheers
Richard
I saw those Top Gear bits. That was one tough truck!

There was a used Power Wagon nearby that I strongly considered, not 10-12 mpg on the highway just didn’t do it for me. Maybe it’s better now.

My buddy bought a new Power Wagon last fall, he's getting 17mpg, which is a HUGE improvement over the 10-11mpg they were getting when I was last shopping for trucks...

Sounds like the tundra will have a whole new redesign for 2021, including being more "techy". Not sure what that will entail, but hearing a twin turbo V6 to start, which will be great for gas mileage. Unfortunately, I had to replace my 08 tundra last spring, and went with a 2019 model.

The update could be very interesting, especially with a turbo V6. I've owned Chevys, a Dodge, and Toyotas, and Toyota is the only make of those three I'd own again when my Tundra eventually wears out, but that will be many years from now...

Nothing gets more opinions out of a bunch of hunting guys than truck discussion. I'm in the market for a new truck too Randy but mine will be a Ford. Currently have the 4x4 but looking at either the Raptor or, more likely, the FX4. Looking forward to your reviews as trucks are about the only thing we didn't talk about last week.

Big Fin,

Time to run a Subaru. We need to decide once and for all if it’s a hunting vehicle.
If Subaru offered a truck tomorrow I would be first in line. The only caveat being it has to be a real truck with a minimum 6 foot bed. Not a fancy SUV like Honda tried to pass off as a truck.

Nothing gets more opinions out of a bunch of hunting guys than truck discussion. I'm in the market for a new truck too Randy but mine will be a Ford. Currently have the 4x4 but looking at either the Raptor or, more likely, the FX4. Looking forward to your reviews as trucks are about the only thing we didn't talk about last week.

Try and see if you can find one with the Sport and FX4 package. It has buckets in the front and a nice console. Plus there is no chrome on the truck. We ordered one and the interior is very nice and I hate chrome so it was a perfect fit.

If you’ve ever been stuck and tried to get out with the traction control on that’s why.

One of my complaints about most half ton pickups is you need to jump through hoops to actually turn it off. Traction control is great if you stay on the hard slab but if you actually do take your truck off road it’s terrible.
Why yes, yes i have. But I did not know that putting into trailer/tow mode shut off the traction control. that's why I asked.
Also Had a heck of a time going thru heavy snow w/ chains only on the front while the back was spinning away and the system shut it down until I left off the gas completely and ground to a halt.
My experience is most of the electronic modes are worthless.

Just to add: The typical daily driver traction control is a problem and doesn't usually help. Some of Toyota's traction controls for off road use can actually be quite helpful and get you out of a bind. I know some of the other makers like Land Rover do similar stuff.

But, you definitely don't want power cutting back when trying to flog your way out of a mud hole.

I LOVE the Power Wagon. I think you're correct in the fact that finding a low mileage used one will be difficult at best. It can be done if you have the time to wait. My last 3 trucks have been 2011 Ford F-150, 2014 Ram 1500 (Both new), and a 2016 Ford F-150, that we bought used with 38K miles October, 2018. It now has 85K trouble free miles. No issues with the truck other than rinky-dink recalls. But my wife and I were talking the other day about how we both prefer the Ram quite a bit over the Ford. The 2014 was my first Ram. The next truck will be a Ram, and probably a 2500.

I have the eco-boost on the Ford and I will say this. I didn't want to like the motor for some reason. I like V-8. But it's a damn fine motor. It took some getting used to the turbo and the different way that it responds in snow/ice/mud. Once that happened I've grown to like it.

Back