PEAX Equipment

New Truck Time - Testing and Sorting

I’ve been underwhelmed with my 2018 Silverado.

That is useful feedback, given it is a recent model. I am not sure why I am considering a Silverado, given my 2001 was four years and 62K miles of headache and continual repairs. As bad as the truck performed, the dealer performed even worse. I am proceeding under the premise that I had a lemon back then. And, that was almost twenty years ago, so hopefully the likelihood of another lemon is much less.

That is useful feedback, given it is a recent model. I am not sure why I am considering a Silverado, given my 2001 was four years and 62K miles of headache and continual repairs. As bad as the truck performed, the dealer performed even worse. I am proceeding under the premise that I had a lemon back then. And, that was almost twenty years ago, so hopefully the likelihood of another lemon is much less.
Well, at 24k the fuel pump shit the bed. I also just had a brake booster pump replaced at 36053, which Chevy declined to cover under warranty. It rides okay. Like most other half ton pickups.

We bought a 2017 F150 crew can and hands down had the most roomiest interior. It has been a great truck for road trips if you are not pulling a trailer. It is extremely underwhelming when out west in the mountains. It is constantly shifting trying to find the right gear. There is a programmer chip that fixes it but won’t help with the 11mpg towing.

@Big Fin have you looked into any of the 3L diesel options that are out there? They are not power houses but get great mileage for a pick up. 27-30 Mpg would help your yearly travel budget.

Here you go... Ram Rebel v. Trail Boss v. Raptor

PS. Check out 26:30 if nothing else, it's pretty cool what that front Torsen does

As they say at 41:20... The Raptor is in a class of it's own

Last edited:
We bought a 2017 F150 crew can and hands down had the most roomiest interior. It has been a great truck for road trips if you are not pulling a trailer. It is extremely underwhelming when out west in the mountains. It is constantly shifting trying to find the right gear. There is a programmer chip that fixes it but won’t help with the 11mpg towing.

@Big Fin have you looked into any of the 3L diesel options that are out there? They are not power houses but get great mileage for a pick up. 27-30 Mpg would help your yearly travel budget.

I've looked at that. Mrs. Fin hates diesels due to the exhaust complicating her asthma, so that option gets ruled out every time.

My buddy bought a new HALF ton Dodge DIESEL and loves it. He was always a Chevy/Toyota owner in the past. Good fuel mileage supposedly. I own a chevy 3/4 ton diesel and have learned that all diesel owners must be fishermen as they are all liars and exaggerators!

Yeah, the width is the biggest downside of the Raptor.

As for gas mileage, they all suck. My brother's Tundra, my Titans, my friends with Power Wagon; we all cringe when we pull up to the gas pump. I've yet to see any of these trucks perform well at the gas pump once you make a few modifications and when you drive them in 4WD a good chunk of the time. As my Dad would say about his old Chevy with the 454 in it, "If you don't turn it off, you'll never get the tank filled; it burns it faster than you can pump it."

Like JLS mentioned, the Power Wagon seems intent on winning the bad gas milage race. But on the other hand, the Power Wagon surely wins the "I can tow your ass to hell and back" contest. Hard to have the towing capacity of the Power Wagon and the payload capacity, and not give up something in gas mileage.

Why the raptor over the FX4 with the 3.5l turbo charged V6? I think it's basically the same engine without the fancy tuning that eats up gas. My 2018 F150 with that engine (just 4x4 not FX4) averages 18-19 MPG around town and 22+ on the freeway.

Why the raptor over the FX4 with the 3.5l turbo charged V6? I think it's basically the same engine without the fancy tuning that eats up gas. My 2018 F150 with that engine (just 4x4 not FX4) averages 18-19 MPG around town and 22+ on the freeway.

I have a buddy with that set up and it tows his 24 ft camper better than his 6.0 chevy did.

• Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road
  • Chevy Z27 Silverado
  • Ford Raptor
  • Ford F-150 FX4
  • Ram Rebel
  • Ram Power Wagon
  • Nissan Titan PRO-4X

Drove down this same road in 2018, test driving all the above besides the Titan and (not listed) Chevy Trail Boss. Ended up going with F-150 FX4 as my wife (a truly remarkable negotiator) was able to get me a screaming deal. I tell myself next truck, regardless of deals, is going to be a Raptor. That said, the FX4 has been great. 30,000 rugged miles thus far (lots in AZ) and zero issues. Did have to upgrade to 10 ply tires but that's a given.

The normal 3.5L has proven to be a great motor, but the HO in the Raptor is a whole different beast!

I've looked at that. Mrs. Fin hates diesels due to the exhaust complicating her asthma, so that option gets ruled out every time.

My wife hates diesel too, however the little 3.0l Exo boost she couldn’t even tell it was a diesel. Those little diesels with DEF have come along way compared to their bigger brothers.

Tundras are pavement princesses taylor made for picking up 2x4's from home depot, in your bling jeans.

When you buy a toyota, you cringe, when you go to sell a toyota, your stoked. Doubt the Tundra fits your needs.

Just what Randy needs. A truck geared towards desert running. mtmuley
Point taken, but go watch the video of them crawling through rough country, poor traction, and checking clearance and break-over in the video from #31 and tell me that wouldn't be helpful while hunting!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dotun77
Back