Caribou Gear

New Truck Time - Testing and Sorting

Always fun to watch the off-road video comparisons, most of which are in Moab or some other desert environment. My difficulty is finding how those features translate in mostly snow, some ice, on large rocks rather than slick rock. And, how these features work with four guys in the truck along with a load of gear in the back, with a topper shell. That is a completely different situation than what most of these comparisons are.

So much of what a person values in a truck is determined by how they use it and what their priority needs are. Each person will rate certain features higher, causing them to find truck A better than truck C for their applications. There is never any perfect solution that meets all requirements, especially a perfect solution for the pocketbook.

What about buying a truck and then setting it up with aftermarket pieces to suit your needs? mtmuley

I've been approached by some groups that do just that. They have asked if we could work together and video the process. I'm just not a big fan of the after-market process. I attribute that to my very limited (maybe better stated as non-existent) mechanical skills. A personal problem, I know, but at least a self-admitted personal problem. ;)

Last edited:
I've been approached by some groups that do just that. They have asked if we could work together and video the process. I'm just not a big fan of the after-market process. I attribute that to my very limited (maybe better stated as non-existent) mechanical skills. A personal problem, I know, but at least a self-admitted personal problem. ;)

There is something nice about a factory truck being able to go any dealer and have repairs done. I did the aftermarket Jeep road and not to many folks are excited to work on it. Now my ride is 100% stock and it’s nice.

It doesn't have a locking rear diff on any Tundras, though they do on the Tacomas. They do brag about all the good "after market" options for those wanting to put a locker on the Tundra. When I'm hauling a heavy load up a steep snow two-track, I want all four, not some computerized breaking system that Toyota promotes as a better alternative. Maybe I'm just too old school.

Lack of a locking rear diff is a head scratcher for me. I am sure if Toyota redesigns the Tundra, they will add that. They have to be losing a lot of sales as a result of that; at least to people with the needs I have.

You can shut that stuff off. Turning traction control off and putting it in tow/haul is the cheat code in my Tundra.

I’ve been underwhelmed with my 2018 Silverado.

Some big changes beginning with 2019 on the GM models. Almost 4" added to the interior room which makes the back seats pretty nice. Downside is that they are 9" longer overall as well.

I have a 2012 chevy crew cab 4x4 with 193k miles on it now and a coworker just bought a 2020 GM 4x4 crew cab and parked next to each other mine looks like a little brother. His has the 10 speed transmission which looks awesome. Mine has the 6 speed transmission that was a big upgrade from the 4 speed my 2005 had.

I did lose my transmission this fall pulling my 26' toy hauler back from Wyoming. The trailer is rated at 100% of the towing capacity of my pickup so I've been pulling pretty hard with it on a fairly regular basis. Other than that there has only been maintenance type stuff.

To be honest I think most of the pickups now are pretty amazing.

Some big changes beginning with 2019 on the GM models. Almost 4" added to the interior room which makes the back seats pretty nice. Downside is that they are 9" longer overall as well.

It needed that space, we have the GM family discount and went with a Ford because the back seat was just to tight for car seats. In the Ford the extra few inches made it where their feet didn’t touch the front seat.

My brother has a 2012 F150 with the 5.0L V8, FX4 package, a mild lift, 35" tires, 250k miles, and he can still manage 18mpg on the highway. He also has a 2019 F150 with similar options but hates the new 10 speed FWIW.

I dont know of many Ram owners that off road much in them, and the new Ram has a terrible approach angle. But they are often more affordable and have incredibly nice interiors.

I have a 2014 GMC. The thing to remember with the GMs is the G80 rear is an auto locker, you cant select it. So it takes a second of slip to kick in. The TFL guys discuss this when they review the Trailboss but they still seem to pick that truck as the one they would buy.

The Raptor is too expensive and wide for me, but I get the appeal.

If you're considering the Power Wagon might as well consider the F250 Tremor (terrible name) package with the 7.3L. Either truck is too big and expensive for a hunting rig IMO.

I'd get an F150 with the optional lift installed, or an AT4 or Trailboss. But we all know you're just going to end up with another Titan! 😁

When buying used, the color options are also a trick. Black and deep blue are a disaster when you drive through the cat claw and juniper that we do. When Nissan sees the paint situation on the truck I'm returning to them, odds are they will send me a bill for repainting. I told them not to send me a pretty red/maroon one.....but, ad agencies don't listen.

Having went through the paint destruction a time or two, silver is best, then white, then gray. After that, things start showing every small scratch. Red/maroon can be OK, but not as good as the metallic colors. The darker colors are a disaster when customizing with "Arizona Pinstripes."

Also cracks me up with all those pretty decals they put on trucks these days. Just more cost and something that gets destroyed when actually using your truck as a truck. Wish I knew how to take them off at the start.

Looking at all of this, seems I am kind of boxing myself into a corner. Let's see........2019 with less than 25K miles. Must be silver, white, or gray. Preferably void of the decals. One owner with clean Carfax report. Preferably cloth interior so I don't ruin another leather upgrade. No fancy sun/moon roofs that can just be another thing to go wrong. Cross off any states that impose a sales tax on private party or dealer sales to out-of-staters (MT has no sales tax).

When buying used, the color options are also a trick. Black and deep blue are a disaster when you drive through the cat claw and juniper that we do. When Nissan sees the paint situation on the truck I'm returning to them, odds are they will send me a bill for repainting. I told them not to send me a pretty red/maroon one.....but, ad agencies don't listen.

Having went through the paint destruction a time or two, silver is best, then white, then gray. After that, things start showing every small scratch. Red/maroon can be OK, but not as good as the metallic colors. The darker colors are a disaster when customizing with "Arizona Pinstripes."

Also cracks me up with all those pretty decals they put on trucks these days. Just more cost and something that gets destroyed when actually using your truck as a truck. Wish I knew how to take them off at the start.

Looking at all of this, seems I am kind of boxing myself into a corner. Let's see........2019 with less than 25K miles. Must be silver, white, or gray. Preferably void of the decals. One owner with clean Carfax report. Preferably cloth interior so I don't ruin another leather upgrade. No fancy sun/moon roofs that can just be another thing to go wrong. Cross off any states that impose a sales tax on private party or dealer sales to out-of-staters (MT has no sales tax).

You will want Non Canadian also. The exchange rate is good and 10s of thousand trucks are sold In Canada with the sole purpose of 6 months of use to transfer them to the US.

All of the one I saw were nice on the outside. However, when you crawled under them they already had the threads rusted off any studs. Canadian winters are horrible on a vechiles when the leasing company know it’s gone in 6 months. No reason to wash it and the salt eats them up.

I had really good luck with my 2008 Ford F150 FX4 until the cam phaser went out. That is not a problem with the new eco-boost motors. I could not fit chains on the front tires, cables Would’ve been cutting it too close for comfort as well.
I picked up a 2019 Ram classic so far I’m really happy with it. The first thing I did was get it leveled. Ram has so much rake on their pickups, I don’t understand it. Even with the narrowest tires I could get I don’t think I would have clearance to get tire chains on the front.
If I had Randy’s money I would probably go with the Power Wagon. From the few times I’ve ridden one they are impressive. But everywhere my buddies power wagon went I went with a stock F-150 so take that for what it’s worth.

I love my power Wagon, it is a class above the rest. You will be amazed when you see what actual selectable lockers front and rear can do for you. Add in the factory winch, skid plates, and front sway bar disconnect, and its amazing offroad. Yes, its a little bigger, but man what a truck.

PS: Did you get to use the mug I brought down at Sheep Show?

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dotun77
Back