Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

MT Ram

Most people would love to be able to hunt them for 13 days. You’ll get it done. Plenty of time left.

Side story. Opening weekend of archery I was packing out of an upper camp with my son and a friend after a great weekend of fishing and sheep hunting. Ran into another hunter, Matt, who was scouting. He was 9 miles in, one way. We chatted briefly and parted ways. Due to his career, Matt could only hunt on weekends. 5 weeks later, I ran into Matt 5 miles in, on a trail on the opposite end of the unit. He was coming out from a day hunt, I was headed in overnight. We visited again. The next day we met again at about noon at almost 10 miles in, at close to 10000ft. I invited him to tag along and hike out on a trail that was unmarked and allegedly a good place for sheep. We visited & hunted together for roughly 10 hours that day and stayed in touch all through the season after that. I told him about all the rams I saw in the summer and how they'd vanished. I was glassing Saturday AM and saw him from several miles off go after a ram that was with a small group of ewes. I did not see the sheep, but saw their tracks (9400ft in mid Nov) and Matt. I met up with him at the trailhead that night and we shared plans for Sunday's hunt. Matt scored. A very hard earned sheep and deserving hunter. Matt and his wife brought by a beautiful 10.5 year old Spanish Peaks ram for me to look at tonight. I think I have some video footage of this ram from July and if that's the case, I'm hoping the ram I really like will be following this one's route. They are not rutting yet. Younger rams with ewes, older rams still in groups, but that's got to change any time now.

Not much to share. I continue to get my ass handed to me. I've had just generally bad luck. Tomorrow is day 80 - my 39th day sheep hunting, and throw in 41 days of preseason scouting. I'm the worst at sheep hunting. There's 13 days left and I'll be hunting every day. Have seen several groups of ewes without rams yet?!? Heard some faint head-popping in the distance yesterday AM and could not pinpoint it.
Kind of, sort of know what you're going through.

I ran my season down to just a handful of days left when I held a WY ram permit. I had 26 days of hunting when it all finally came together, you've spent 3 times that...can't imagine.

I kept telling myself all it takes is glassing the right spot, at the right time. My buddy Eugene, who helped me, and has been involved in lots and lots of sheep hunts kept telling me: "sheep are hard to find, easy to kill".

Good luck, pulling for you.

Such a great read! What an experience! Can’t wait to see the ram you end up shooting.

As a side note those season lengths seem amazing! Keep your head up, and eyes open!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back