MT Ram

The Hedgehog

I'm loaded up for a glassing jaunt early in the AM and worried there will soon be smoke so thick I won't be able to see 1/2 mile. I'm glad to have a permit so close to home in a familiar place, so I can get the most out of the last of my "big 3". I'm not expecting to find a giant ram as there may not be any in this unit. I do expect a really terrific sheep hunt. Hoping I don't end up shooting one I spot from the gas station in November, but not above that either. Rams are on summer range now - that I know. I've been told to start scouting in early July, as that's when they're on summer range. I'll have 19 days in (not full days) by July 1st. I'm made a spreadsheet of all the sheep data I have on this unit dating back to 1983, as well as a tab to detail all my time spent there since finding out I drew. There's not much snow in the peaks for this time of year. My friend Jake Mosher took a photo last night in the unit, at sunset. This certainly does not suck.
IMG_7983.jpg

Last edited:
That guy has an eye for capturing amazing moments that last a lifetime and beyond!

Best to your hunt! I'd say you're in a hunter's skillset matching his photogenic eye so stacking odds your work will pay off for a great hunt regardless...

Look forward to the pics. Buy him PBR or whatever to drag his arse along.

Hoping I don't end up shooting one I spot from the gas station in November, but not above that either. Rams are on summer range now - that I do know.
Awesome that you are able and willing to put in the time for this likely once in a lifetime tag. Plenty of folks don't start scouting until rams are visible from highways.

Hope to see more from your scouting/hunting trips.

Congrats on a fine looking ram! Sorry, just wanted to be the first one to do this. Enjoy every moment leading up to the before mentioned statement.

Nineteen days in the mountains so far.
I have two thoughts on this.
Everyone in western MT should get a big three tag, Eastern Montana would be ghost town in the fall.
You are going to be in top shape this fall for your daughters elk hunt, probably walk my fat ass into the ground.

Looks like a great way to spend the summer, looking forward to more great pictures.

Last edited:
Always enjoy your hunt reports and REALLY looking to following along on this one!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back