MT Antelope Opener: New Hunter success

Nemont

It was cold and windy on Sunday but my 12 year old and I headed out to find him an antelope. I had a tag also but my priority was to put him on a buck. We found a herd of 7 with an average buck that went down into a coulee. I knew we could get down in front of them. So we geared up and headed out. About 1/2 mile later just as we are getting into position we see the antelope headed out being pushed by 5 coyotes. I never saw that before.

Anyway after a couple of other stalks and two shots at different bucks we find a small herd feeding in a small dip in a wheat field. We sneak up to the dike and look over it and there they are 75 yards away and had no clue we were there.

K-man (my son's nickname) flips down his bipod, steady's and bang!!! His first big game animal is in the bag. He was proud of himself and that he didn't do it, "the cheap way out of the pickup". I was proud of him as well.

Not the biggest but who cares.

The hunter and his trophy
PA100273.jpg

PA100271.jpg

PA100276.jpg

Nemont

Congrtas to K-MAN! Way to get it done and the right way of doing it. Out in the field in there element not out of the truck with the heater and radio on. Good job K-man. Is that a little recoil kiss on the forehead also? I was told as a kid shooting a 300 mag that that was a sign of being relaxed and and being one with the rifle. Lol. Good job Nemont many more animals to come from K-man I am sure. Looking forward to the pics and stories.

Congrats to K-man..... What a cool trophy to start him out with. I hope he hits you up for some taxidermy expenses....

And he looks just like you...... well, errrr.... maybe 30 years ago...

I`m envious K man. That is something that I have always wanted...a nice antelope. The only thing that has stopped me is 1500 miles. That will the first of many more great memories for you...enjoy!
Thanks dad for taking him hunting!

Kids and their first hunts - the best stories of the year. Congrats to K-man. And to you Nemont.

Something tells me you and K-man will do your share of damage to the waterfowl population, now that he is of legal hunting age.

congrats Kman! I also wondered about the scope kiss on his forehead?

Congratulations are definately in order.

Nice buck for the first one. Way nicer than the first antelope I shot.

Big congrats K-Man!!! I am pretty confident in stating that he'll be remembering that for a LONG time.

Congratulations to you and K-man. As we all know those "first" animals are forever burned into your memory. He will always appreciate all you do for him. These are my favorite posts to read.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back