MT Antelope Opener: New Hunter success

Good job K-Man!! Sounds like a heck of a fun day! Nemont, I'm hopin to do likewise with my 12 year old on the doe antelope across the river in 700s this next week. Looks like you guys got off to a good start for the season.

I also just tagged my first western big game animal. We screwed up and blew 2 points on doe tags, but had a great hunt in some adverse conditions.

We arrived in SE Montana on Friday; snow, wind, and highs in the 20's. Low of 9 degrees at night, 60 degrees at the ceiling of the camper but the boots were froze to the floor. Saturday much of the same but 20 mph winds and colder.

Opening morning Sunday was predicted to be 30 mph winds and snow. We woke up to perfect conditions light snow and no wind. Went to some block management/walk in. Some hunters beat us to it and were walking around in groups. I sat and glassed and noticed a band of goats on a neighboring ranch we had permission to hunt. We backed out and planned our approach. Since I knew where they were I went for them and my partner looped around behind.

I had a rolling hill between myself and the goats so I could get to within 400 yds by walking. I crept up to maybe 300 yds them army crawled to a large sage clump to get set up. I was 225 yds away at the clump and they decided they had enough and stood up. I picked out a doe and took a shot and she fell in her tracks. My partner was just around the hill and the band ran over to him and he dropped his.
We got the animals at noon and by 1:30 the wind started and the snow was coming down horizontally.

One thing for sure we will not mess up on the applications and apply for a doe/fawn next year. Especially when they are $50 over the counter.

Attachments

• 100_0526.jpg
    100_0526.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 125
Glad you had a good hunt BnB, and welcome. Jeff, I saw your thread on the duck site, but missed it here. Congrats again to you and K-man.

Congrats! K-man looks to have some serious muscle, which sure comes in handy when the work starts.

Love seeing those grins of success.

Shortside

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back