Montana voter initiative for corner crossing.

Quite a fascinating topic where both sides of the coin have a valid argument. I know how I would/will handle the situation and it may be 180* different from others.

I've been keeping an eye on this thread. Its interesting, but I tend to stay out of political discussions. All I really can say is I see both sides, but if a corner-crossing law does pass, I know of more than one land-locked section I'll be visiting.

So don't "hike" the streambed, bird watch the stream bed. Wildlife photograph the stream bed. Heck, FISH the stream. Certainly that is a water based recreation. Many days hunting I hunt, then switch to fishing, then back to hunting.
Agreed. Meateater had a podcast on this.

How many actual, specific inventoried corners are we talking.
Not theoretical but exactly where.
With on x we should be able to compile an exact list by county.
Unfortunately, it seems to be largely theoretical versus actual.

So don't "hike" the streambed, bird watch the stream bed. Wildlife photograph the stream bed. Heck, FISH the stream. Certainly that is a water based recreation.
Yes it is ... and when the LEO confronts you, explain how brilliant you are in gaming the stream access regs ... as he inquires about that elk quarter protruding from your Audubon backpack and the rifle attached to your creel. :sneaky:

There is a whole other thread on the stream access issue.
Why muddy that issue in the corner crossing thread?

but if a corner-crossing law does pass, I know of more than one land-locked section I'll be visiting.
It won't pass

Really interested in this topic. I can see both sides of it. My grandparents own land in Texas n part of it is on the Medina River which people are legally allowed to access within a certain amount of feet from the water, well, we end up having to pick up all the trash n look at all the carcasses from these “people”
On the other hand it is “our” the public tax payers land. My friends son n I found a beautiful chunk of state land in Montana that we could see from another chunk of state land from. Every afternoon a good herd w a giant bull would go from the private land they fed on to this public land, no way to access it without corner hopping, so didn’t get to make a play on him.
Hopefully something gets straightened out on the rules. We read over them intently w no clear explanation found.
Legalize corner hopping and the “big bull” you saw would’ve been gone at 2.5 yrs of age, instead of living to 7 or 8. In lieu of attempting to force access, ask for
Management.

Your not wrong. However, the public should have access to public land.
Management would be the best way forward but as much money that is being spent it would be easy to mark the corners. They aren’t always in the most ideal spot so it would lead to trespassing. It’s one step and most people are too lazy to make that step with an easier route. I’m all for it though.

Management would be the best way forward but as much money that is being spent it would be easy to mark the corners. They aren’t always in the most ideal spot so it would lead to trespassing. It’s one step and most people are too lazy to make that step with an easier route. I’m all for it though.
They would also have to be marked because the gps apps would need to within a foot or so. Once kept returning to a waypoint that I had marked with OnX and I’d wind up in a spot 10’ away.

I think the marking requirement could be included within any law of the relevant agency were to survey it or they allowed a reasonable amount of overlap.

They would also have to be marked because the gps apps would need to within a foot or so. Once kept returning to a waypoint that I had marked with OnX and I’d wind up in a spot 10’ away.

I think the marking requirement could be included within any law of the relevant agency were to survey it or they allowed a reasonable amount of overlap.
Boy making a marking requirement will really make those land surveyors happy. It would give them a lot of work that’s for sure.

Boy making a marking requirement will really make those land surveyors happy. It would give them a lot of work that’s for sure.
Maybe that's the key here. Get the PLS lobbying group to bring the plight of the surveyors to the legislature - how is a small business supposed to survive when their work is unpredictable? It's almost like a lottery!

Back to why I bumped this thread, what is the current law in MT on corner crossing? Can we go from public to public at a 4 corner section with private on the other 2 sides??

Maybe that's the key here. Get the PLS lobbying group to bring the plight of the surveyors to the legislature - how is a small business supposed to survive when their work is unpredictable? It's almost like a lottery!
Might be something they could be interested in. I think this legislation session they had more important stuff to worry about I heard they had to defend who could properly claim a corner. I could only imagine how many irroneous corners would be marked with everyone and their onx capabilities saying they found this corner and that corner because their phone screen said they were supposedly in the “exact” assumed spots.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back