Just got Starlink.

Now that @mtmuley is on the fast WWW, expect even more verbosity.

Didn't know it was his bandwidth that led to his brevity.

We've been using it since early 2021. Had Viasat before and we ran out of data after 1 week and then had the worst throttling ever. Video conferencing wouldn't work, couldn't stream, etc.

Haven't had any issues with starlink running 3 smart tv's, 2 laptops, 2 phones & a tablet. Doing the math, my fine for breaking the contract with Viasat still penciled out once I figured in the cost of the purchase as well as the monthly for Starlink. After 2 years, I'm saving money.
Elon's a doofus extreme, and one of the worst Bond villains ever, but his internet works just fine.

rural Colorado options are not great and @wllm is spot on about the number of days lost to CL outages. That's why Starlink is so promising. The dish points straight up, so those of us living in canyons or mountains, surrounded by massive trees don't have to worry about dish direction. It's going to be a game changer.

YOu will still need a clear line of sight to the north. The app has a program that helps you situation your dish for max coverage.

YOu will still need a clear line of sight to the north. The app has a program that helps you situation your dish for max coverage.
Yup! We are good to go, I was very relieved we got a passing grade from the app. Though I'm not sure my wife is thrilled with the amount of content I can now download and watch. Or HuntTalk hours I can spend without interruption ha

Just got this email, been on waiting list since July 2021,

"Your service area remains at capacity which means we are unable to convert you to Residential service at this time. Our best estimate for delivery of Residential service in your area is now mid-2023."

So crap!

They did offer a "Best Effort" plan, which I might take, since I don't do gaming or stream HD movies. Sounds similar to the plan they offer for RVs. Cost is the same, which stinks, but you get the option of pausing service.That looks attractive because I'm only at this place part time. But I did plan to put up some inernet linked security cameras so not sure what I'll do.

Where I'm at in the mountains, Starlink and others do not work (from what they all told me). What I ended up doing was purchasing a Jetpack from Verizon and bought an unlimited 4G wireless hotspot. It only costs me $20 a month. Been working great for the last 4 years or so.....at least for what I need it to do.

For my 2nd home/cabin I've been on the waiting list for well over a year. My account still says "Starlink expects to expand service in your area by mid 2022." I would say September is past mid-2022. Was originally quoted end of 2021, so already got bumped once.

Starting to get a little pissed.
First things first , you’ve gotta free the nip
5674CC95-9BAE-4871-AFDE-6E377EA04203.jpeg

So I have had starlink for about a year and no problems except when the power goes out.
When was looking at it before got it I saw folks saying they could get cell service thru it. Or it boosts signal.
Anyone hear of a way to use it for better cell service?

Verizon has gotten worse here tho I do have 5g in cities that have it.

So I have had starlink for about a year and no problems except when the power goes out.
When was looking at it before got it I saw folks saying they could get cell service thru it. Or it boosts signal.
Anyone hear of a way to use it for better cell service?

Verizon has gotten worse here tho I do have 5g in cities that have it.
Look for the Verizon Network Extender. Uses your Wi-Fi connection as a backhaul for your mobile in the house. Or just enable Wi-Fi calling under cellular settings on your phone.

Be aware that there are short interruptions to Starlink service as satellite handoffs occur. You will notice them on voice calls.

I bought a Cel-Fi GO X by Cel-Fi, cellular booster (link below) for about 1.2k and it works great and with no monthly charge. You need at least one partial bar of service for it to boost the signal. We went from 0-1 bar service to maxed out streaming video service. Our cabin is in a narrow deep valley where service is super weak if you can get it at all. The cel fi product has been a game changer. You set it to pick up either AT&T or Verizon and you can also purchase a router to standardize the signal for any wireless user. I haven't gotten the router yet and just limit our booster to AT&T.

I have a booster that stopped working last year. Was going to see if repositioning it helps today.
When I moved here 14 years ago verizon worked all over the ranch and most places out of a canyon. I had wifi then too.
Now I have to go outside to use the phone ,but I did get a text this morning.

I have self dumbed down on cell use and only have the phone on and a app that enables me to have a video chat with the doc's.

Was thinking of a sat. phone for emergencies.
But then again any time I use the cell phone Rio is ready for a truck ride after. LOL

My Century Link has been out so often the last few months, it's easier to count the days it is working as compared to the days it is down. Mrs. Fin gave me the "Get this straightened out or else" ultimatum over the weekend. Not sure what "or else" means, but I suspect it's not good.

South side of Bozeman has almost no options. CL owns the lines and none of the others seem to have us in their service area.

For those who have StarLink, what are the downsides of StarLink (other than my aversion to giving more money to Mr. Musk)?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back