Just got Starlink.

Century link was bought out and has been replaced by Brightspeed starting last October.

The difference is crazy how much crappier Brightspeed is compared to Century link. We left about a month ago and replaced it with US Cellular mobile hotspot and its slightly better but not what it used to be when it was Century Link. We too are looking at options like Starlink.

Or just enable Wi-Fi calling under cellular settings on your phone.

Be aware that there are short interruptions to Starlink service as satellite handoffs occur. You will notice them on voice calls
Same. For ourselves, I've held business zoom video/ voice, and phone calls.
As mentioned, adjust cell phone settings.

There can be brief, 1/2-1 second stall occasionally however, they were working on overlap of their hundreds of small satellites by sending another 150. We noticed a difference.

Regarding CenturyLink for rural NW MT... Our personal experience
We had crap for Verizon cell in NW Whitefish. As mentioned, CenturyLink sucks worse than tin cans with string attached even though they receive rural federal funding, they do shit for fixing/upgrading from prehistoric phone use.
Starlink was as if, for some reason, God brought me to the pearly gates.

A universe of a difference.

All hail Musk! 🤣

The starlink has been as fast as I can imagine. Faster than the government optic lines I used .

I can watch any streaming service I have ,Netflix, Spotify, Amazon,etc. No delays.
It comes right back when power comes back on while I have to wait forever for hughes and dish to recover.

I was going to ask you Randy what cell service you use out and about?

I know folks use the starlink for RV's, boats and such, but I don't need the thing away from home.
I would have gone back to a wifi setup and go to where there is service to work.

Downside is there is no number to call or text for service ?'s with starlink. No website to contact.
Elon is the king of going half way and then start another project without fixing what he starts.
Tesla is only good in a modern city on smooth parking lots and all.
The truck? It never happened. The auto drive? Who would ever use that on American roads?

Century link was bought out and has been replaced by Brightspeed starting last October.

The difference is crazy how much crappier Brightspeed is compared to Century link. We left about a month ago and replaced it with US Cellular mobile hotspot and its slightly better but not what it used to be when it was Century Link. We too are looking at options like Starlink.
We have CenturyLink DSL north of Ronan. Speed is super slow about 10% of advertised.
It took 20 phone calls and 5 days of frustration to get a simple fix.
Worst customer service of any company I have ever dealt with.

My Century Link has been out so often the last few months, it's easier to count the days it is working as compared to the days it is down. Mrs. Fin gave me the "Get this straightened out or else" ultimatum over the weekend. Not sure what "or else" means, but I suspect it's not good.

South side of Bozeman has almost no options. CL owns the lines and none of the others seem to have us in their service area.

For those who have StarLink, what are the downsides of StarLink (other than my aversion to giving more money to Mr. Musk)?
I got Starlink setup for my employees that live in Yellowstone Park. Started w/ one about a year ago and added a couple more this spring. No complaints yet. Super fast, and they've been able to stream about anything they want as well as connect to our remote network, complete service orders, etc. I will admit it was pretty nice to snowmobile into the Park this December and be able to watch Monday Night Football at Grant Village.

I share the same Century Link blues as others. But two years ago it was my only option if I wanted unlimited data. This day and age with everything streaming, how can anyone not have unlimited data? It's just me and my wife so we get by with CL but I'm one weak (ie. buffering) moment away from placing a Starlink order.

My Century Link has been out so often the last few months, it's easier to count the days it is working as compared to the days it is down. Mrs. Fin gave me the "Get this straightened out or else" ultimatum over the weekend. Not sure what "or else" means, but I suspect it's not good.

South side of Bozeman has almost no options. CL owns the lines and none of the others seem to have us in their service area.

For those who have StarLink, what are the downsides of StarLink (other than my aversion to giving more money to Mr. Musk)?

Downsides are not much different than any other broadband company:

1.) 15% increase in price since we first installed it. ($115 per month versus $99).

2.) Limited down time based on satellite coverage. Most we've been without is 10 minutes during a bad storm.

3.) You have to install it but of you have an old satellite dish mount you can use that.

4.) Need a clear line of sight for the dish to receive the best signal.

5.) Upgrade the modem. I wasn't impressed with the one they send.

Other than that, we're 2.5 years in and it's better than charter or any other service we've had. But yeah, you're giving Elon money which is the biggest downside.

But yeah, you're giving Elon money which is the biggest downside.
In March, my family switched to Montana internet. It has been a huge upgrade over Century Link, and I'm giving money to a local business.

In March, my family switched to Montana internet. It has been a huge upgrade over Century Link, and I'm giving money to a local business.

My choices were Viasat, Verizon or dsl from century link. All three throttle bandwidth.

If there were a local broadband option that offered the speed & constant bandwidth, I'd have gone that route.

1.) 15% increase in price since we first installed it. ($115 per month versus $99).

2.) Limited down time based on satellite coverage. Most we've been without is 10 minutes during a bad storm.

3.) You have to install it but of you have an old satellite dish mount you can use that.

I’ve had it for personal use a year or so now. I set it up at our fire department over 2 years ago. It has been reliable, and in terms of bandwidth, consistent and strong.

Another drawback I would list is that the cable that runs from the sensor to your modem is proprietary. The 50 feet they give you is what you get and if you need more you’ll pay for it.

Starlink was the first and still is the only, Internet provider in my chunk of rural Montana that provides speeds that allow me to work from home. Quite literally saving me from 200 miles a week of driving.

When I think about all of the other Internet providers I’ve used in my life, Starlink is of the highest quality. I plugged it in, set up automatic payments, and haven’t thought about it since. That never happened when I was using Blackfoot, Charter, Bresnan, or whatever other flavors there were over the last 20 years.

Other than that, we're 2.5 years in and it's better than charter or any other service we've had. But yeah, you're giving Elon money which is the biggest downside.
Did Elonnie not give you the Zelensky discount...

So I have had starlink for about a year and no problems except when the power goes out.
When was looking at it before got it I saw folks saying they could get cell service thru it. Or it boosts signal.
Anyone hear of a way to use it for better cell service?

Verizon has gotten worse here tho I do have 5g in cities that have it.
You have to turn on "Wi-Fi Calling" on your phone. It then uses the internet connection for your phone conversation. Works great, i use it all the time for work meetings.

I have it turned on. Does not help, as there is no signal.

I moved the booster receiver and then got under the house. The thing was working, light on, until the stupid coaxel cable came out of the fancy connection as I was trying to get the dirt off it.

I have it turned on. Does not help, as there is no signal.

I moved the booster receiver and then got under the house. The thing was working, light on, until the stupid coaxel cable came out of the fancy connection as I was trying to get the dirt off it.
If your android or iPhone has "cellular over wifi enabled" in its settings, and your iPhone/android is connected to your wifi router, then your phone will choose wifi rather than cellular for your voice calls (but not SMS texts) and the phone's internet data when you have one bar or less of cellular service. It has nothing to do with starlink specifically - we use it at our cabin that oddly has fiber internet (a long story of government waste that for once fell to my benefit).

Last edited:

We have had Starlink for a little over a year now and I found out what "streaming" actually means. Can actually watch your videos now, Randy:) There aren't many drawbacks, coming from HughesNet. The cable may be a bit short, but you can get one that is 150' from Starlink cheaper than anywhere else. The monthly price has gone up 20%, hope it doesn't keep climbing, and not because we use lots of bandwidth either. The other thing that has stumped me, can't blame Starlink, was when we switched over from Hughes, can't get my solar array to reconnect with the internet to see my production.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back