Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Just got Starlink.

My first reaction was “Step 1 on the journey to owning an EV. Bro.” 😝
You know, Elon is a weird cat, really can't be categorized easily;
1. Free speech absolutist, risking government wrath against Tesla and Space X
2. Wants all EVs, promoting child slavery in Africa; he should have more sympathy, being from there
3. The satellites he gave to Ukraine were instrumental in their communications
4. As usual with private vs gov, does 10x what NASA does, likely with 10% of the cost

And, while I wouldn't know him if I saw him, the day @mtmuley gets an EV pickup I'll turn in my guns and join PETA.

Last edited:
You have to turn on "Wi-Fi Calling" on your phone. It then uses the internet connection for your phone conversation. Works great, i use it all the time for work meetings.
I finally pushed some buttons and remembered my password, and presto chango I have service.

Just talked to my buddy out planting corn fields in WI.
We both grew up with party lines and he's planting with a computer and satelite running his tractor.

Since I got Starlink last October, I’ve gotten rid of Hughesnet, Dish, and Centurylink. Reduced monthly charges and got better service. YoutubeTV streaming service has the same channels as Dish at $50.00 less a month.
Need to make sure that WiFi calling is part of cellular plan. It’s not included on some. Sure don’t miss dealing with Centurylink.

Need to make sure that WiFi calling is part of cellular plan.
It's not a subject within cellular plan usage. It's working though your wifi vs the cell. Well, at least with the cell providers (Verizon & AT&T) I've had. Whether one uses the cell service towers or not - you're paying a subscription fee.

Maybe track (burner) phones? Maybe they have some requirement in order to keep you using their service?

You know, Elon is a weird cat, really can't be categorized easily;
1. Free speech absolutist, risking government wrath against Tesla and Space X
2. Wants all EVs, promoting child slavery in Africa; he should have more sympathy, being from there
3. The satellites he gave to Ukraine were instrumental in their communications
4. As usual with private vs gov, does 10x what NASA does, likely with 10% of the cost

And, while I wouldn't know him if I saw him, the day @mtmuley gets an EV pickup I'll turn in my guns and join PETA.
1. Free speech absolutist 😂. Unless you're critical of him, then he bans you Source Source . There's no government wrath about SpaceX, NASA and military are by far it's biggest customers
2. Hypocrisy runs rampant here.
3. Agreed. Good job, Elon.
4. Private vs. government? According to this article, SpaceX has received $15,300,000,000 in government funds
Source
And this source says Tesla has received $3,000,000,000 in government subsidies and Elon is trying to get $885,000,000 in government grants to build Starlink Source

Elon is a clown, IMO.

He bought Twitter, Trump started TS, and Kanye tried to buy Parler. Maybe three of the most unhinged individuals in media today and they each aspire to own a social media company 😬

Last edited:
I guess some lightning hit something this morning. Power went out for a few minutes.
I took dish 15 minutes to restart. Starlink was back in an instant and my cell phone went from no bars back to wifi and service.
Time to ditch dish too.

1. Free speech absolutist 😂. Unless you're critical of him, then he bans you Source Source . There's no government wrath about SpaceX, NASA and military are by far it's biggest customers
2. Hypocrisy runs rampant here.
3. Agreed. Good job, Elon.
4. Private vs. government? According to this article, SpaceX has received $15,300,000,000 in government funds
Source
And this source says Tesla has received $3,000,000,000 in government subsidies and Elon is trying to get $885,000,000 in government grants to build Starlink Source

Elon is a clown, IMO.

He bought Twitter, Trump started TS, and Kanye tried to buy Parler. Maybe three of the most unhinged individuals in media today and they each aspire to own a social media company 😬
I never said he didn't get government money just that cost vs NASA per kg are, indeed much much lower.

It's all over the net.

And you may not like him, but clowns don't build companies which send rockets into outer space.

Not to get too close to politics, but could you imagine 15 years ago, telling someone that in 2023 there would be an individual who:

-brought Internet to rural America and the undeveloped world at levels unseen prior
-revolutionized the work from home movement, allowing people to have access to the www without even having an address
-jumpstarted and brought forward the electric vehicle farther and faster than anyone in history

And “progressives” will despise him.

Me, I’m just grateful to be able to waste my time on hunting forums at home without burning through my cell phone data now.

Rocket ship man bad. Space exploration good.

EV car man evil. More EV more good.

Democracy good. Democracy need free speech. Free speech good.
Twitter bad.

Traffic bad. Boring company bad.

Fast car good. Tesla S bad

Dead Russians good. Ukrainian satellite comms to kill Russians bad.

Solar energy storage good.
Developer of battery tech bad.

impregnating execs at your company bad.
(I got nothing for that last one)

I don't love nor hate the guy, but he has become the target of a cultural bandwagon - a similar phenomenon would be folks talking chit about Nickleback. People know it's good to dislike Nickleback and that social status is attained if they signal this disdain - but they aren't sure why and they discretely hum whenever "Rockstar" is on the radio and wiped a tear when "Photograph" was played at their friend's funeral.

Now, folks think EVs are our only hope, they "support" the free world by waving the Ukrainian Flag of their front porch, talk about how the disenfranchised need access to the internet, and sell their Etsy feel-goodery using PayPal. But Elon is a right-wing fAsCiSt.

It will be really interesting to see how the future views Elon. Personally, I appreciate people who dream big and actually create things that move the world forward. The Twitter thing is just Culture War BS. When I listen to him in interviews and such, I hear a reasonable and albeit complicated, driven person. The one part of his legacy I think would be most likely to be viewed negatively, is his company's potential(?) destruction of the night sky, and its lasting effect on observers of the heavens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back