Is the Montefeltro played? What's the most core trap gun?

I had cycling issues with my Benelli sbe years ago. It would hang up ejecting the shell and fail to feed the next. I fought through it for about 4 years, then I had enough one day and called them. Told them I couldn't find my receipt to prove the 5 year warranty, they told me don't worry about it, send it in. I got it back a month later, it has never failed to cycle since. I wouldn't let autoloader issues dissuade you if you want an auto.
You really should go handle a few if you haven't already. There is more fit and feel to a shotgun than other guns IMO. I prefer the slender grip and raised bead of the Benelli. A lot of the upper end shotguns you can shim the stock so the comb drop is correct, this can make a big difference in how the gun fits as well.

I had cycling issues with my Benelli sbe years ago. It would hang up ejecting the shell and fail to feed the next. I fought through it for about 4 years, then I had enough one day and called them. Told them I couldn't find my receipt to prove the 5 year warranty, they told me don't worry about it, send it in. I got it back a month later, it has never failed to cycle since. I wouldn't let autoloader issues dissuade you if you want an auto.
You really should go handle a few if you haven't already. There is more fit and feel to a shotgun than other guns IMO. I prefer the slender grip and raised bead of the Benelli. A lot of the upper end shotguns you can shim the stock so the comb drop is correct, this can make a big difference in how the gun fits as well.
Yes

I’m a firm believer in the idea that the perfect shotgun makes a fun “Shick-shuck” noise in order for the next boom to follow. I’ve spent many formidable years around the family dairy trying to wear out such a shotgun on pigeons, starlings, and house sparrows. I see no need to upgrade from my favorite, fits-like-a-glove, know it like the back of my hand, pumpgun.

However, my brother has less refined tastes than me and enjoys overcomplicating things. He has an old A5 Light and a new A5 that I shoot very well but won’t ever admit it to him. I’ve shot the 16ga version of it as well. If I had a need for such silly over-complications in my life, I would buy one of the 16ga versions, enjoy the crap out of it, but never admit to him that I bought it. My vote is a new A5 of some sort.

If you’re smart enough to complete an online order it’s no problem at all. I have three cases on hand all the time.
Is the 16 gauge ammo always more expensive than the 20?
Buds has boxes of 25 20 gauge for $8.99 and 16 gauge for $10.99 so $35.96 vs $43.96 for 100.

Buds has boxes of 25 20 gauge for $8.99 and 16 gauge for $10.99 so $35.96 vs $43.96 for 100.
Yes. It's supply and demand. There is less demand for 16 gauge so less is produced = less to pick from on the shelf = higher price because less competition. Also stuff that moves slower takes up valuable shelf space. Vendors who waste space putting 16 gauge shells out need to recover the loss. 20 gauge shells that move twice as fast make them more money even if they sell at 20% reduction.

Yes 16 is more. I've always wanted a 16 as well, my dad has one I shoot occasionally. But for a new shotgun, a 3" 20 gauge matches the 16 ballistically with far better ammo availability. From a practical standpoint the 20 is better. Not saying you shouldn't do the 16, I do like them, just be aware the modern 20 is pretty much equivalent.

Don’t know, I don’t buy 20. The price of 16 and 12 is pretty close.

20 gauge trap loads have historically been a buck or so more per box than 12 gauge, off the shelf. Online will vary and is usually more equally priced. My kid has shot both 12 and 20 on/off depending on which gun he was using, so I've had to keep both available.

Food for thought, when trap loads were getting scarce, everything 20 gauge was 3x harder to find. I imagine 16 would be even harder. If you're only shooting a few hundred rounds a year, probably not an issue. Buy a flat and put it away. If you're shooting a hundred plus rounds a week (or your kid does), it becomes an issue.

Miss the old days of TK on tv. He was a hoot to watch.

anybody ever shoot or hold a browning with the lightning grip?
Thoughts or opinions?

Anybody ever order 2 guns into bass pro and only actually buy one of them?
Did they scorn you?

@JLS Is this any different than your boot buying technique?
Would you order 2 guns in and only buy 1?

Special order anything usually requires a down payment. Change your mind after it arrives and vendor typically keeps all or part of deposit as "reshelving" fee, sometimes to cover cost of returning the item to wholesaler. Fair enough.

Special order anything usually requires a down payment. Change your mind after it arrives and vendor typically keeps all or part of deposit as "reshelving" fee, sometimes to cover cost of returning the item to wholesaler. Fair enough.

basspro's saying that ordering the 2 guns isn't an issue.
I'll just have to pay for them both up front online and be refunded the amount of whichever gun I decide I don't want.
worse case scenario I end up with 2 shotguns so not that big of a risk. ;)

basspro's saying that ordering the 2 guns isn't an issue.
I'll just have to pay for them both up front online and be refunded the amount of whichever gun I decide I don't want.
worse case scenario I end up with 2 shotguns so not that big of a risk. ;)
@Nick87 @Dave N you guys got any guns you want to see?
Should we properly stock the peoria store?

Will a 20 gauge kill pheasants?
Ducks?
Geese?
Twenty gauge is fine for pheasants and maybe for ducks (12 gauge with 3" is better). But unless you're in a layout blind in the middle of a full body decoy set somewhere on the leading edge of migration (i.e. Canada), anything less than 3" twelve gauge with 1550 fps BB shot is sketchy.

If you're thinking field versatility, I strongly suggest a 3" twelve gauge auto (NOT 3.5" ... too much gun). The new ones are all quite light and you can shoot everything from trap to goose loads. Better selection of ammo. If/when you decide to get into range shooting, 12 gauge is much better for trap and clays. Also, a lot more empty twelve gauge hulls free to pick up should you decide to start reloading. I can generally get four or five reloads out of even the cheap "disposable" twelve gauge hulls. Rarely need to stretch them that far as every week the trash barrel at the range is full of them. For whatever reason, twenty gauge cheap hulls rarely last more than one reload before part of crimp is blown off.

Back