PEAX Equipment

Is the Montefeltro played? What's the most core trap gun?

DouglasR

Been thinking about picking up a clay pigeon thrower this summer and dreaming about a semi auto shotgun I'm never gonna get.
But if I was...
The first thing that comes to mind is the monte.
I love the chrome.
We all had a Tom Knapp poster on our walls growing up.
His 05 season edit. wow.
But is Benelli played? When I was a kid it they seemed awesome. But now its like they're over promoted and everyones heard of them.

The next choice would be the Remington 1100.
I'm not seeing any with chrome, but as the most affordable gun on my list, I could almost consider taking it hunting.
And it does have the high gloss stock and forearm, so its still got some show to it.

Today, with minimal research, if I had ht coin, I think my pick of the litter would be the Browning A5 ultimate.
But at $2,329, a full $1000 more than the 1100, it's just too much.
The a5 hunter at $1,669.99 is lucrative. Again, no chrome, but the unusual humpback add that little bit of flair when you pull it out of the case everyone's gonna be like "dayyyumm what's that?".

Then we could get into over unders which is a whole thread in itself.
Never been big on side by sides.
20 or 12?

Are there any guns I'm missing?

Trap gun? Hard to beat a bt99 for the price.

All around shotgun I like beretta autos
@DouglasR I’m with @TheTone I’d go with the BT99. I actually want a 99 pretty bad myself. The A5 is a beautiful gun but my friends who have them love them in the duck blind and get frustrated on the clay course. They don’t cycle target loads well. My brother has a Monefeltro and loves it. They did however just change the design and I don’t think the new one is as nice looking as the more classic design was.

Dedicated trap gun bt-99. Doesn't fit your autoloader requirent though.

I've owned or shot most models that benelli makes so if going inertia I'd go with the Benelli M2 or if you'd like to save some money a Franchi affinity3. Ive owned a few montefeltro and personally i think there overrated.

If gog gas operated then drfinitely berreta.

Best bang for your buck for an autoloader imo is the Franchi.

Last edited:
The Monfeltros look sweet but they don’t shoulder/feel as comfortable as the Remingtons for me. Probably because I’ve shot one two or three times vs thousands with the Remingtons. I would personally go with the 11-87 (my personal favorite firearm of all time) over the 1100.

You can use 2 3/4 and 3” in the 11-87, I believe the 1100’s are one or the other.

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but I believe the 1100 did offer a 3” option as well. I don’t think they were capable of cycling 2 3/4” shells out of the 3” models, at least not well. I believe that is what lead to the 11/87, which is nearly the same gun.

If I remember correctly, the 11/87 had additional holes drilled in the gas cylinder as well as an additional spring or something like that. Again, not certain on the 1100 as I’ve never owned one but I’m reasonably sure that problem is what the 11-87 was created to solve.

I have been conducting a failure test on this damn thing for 20 years. If I ever clean it, I will confirm the cylinder/spring thing🙂

Attachments

• 9125E7B1-0052-40AE-B226-DA308BF8A986.jpeg
    9125E7B1-0052-40AE-B226-DA308BF8A986.jpeg
    50.1 KB · Views: 30
Yah i cant remember they may have made an 1100 magnum but I doubt your going to find one very easily. Unless they are making them now. I was referring to the real remingtons. My point is if you have a 3" chamber the gun will shoot 2 and 3/4.

I'm a Benelli auto fan for hunting and sport. The SBE line performs flawlessly in every scenario I have tried. I prefer the SBE2 over the 3.

I got caught up in the Weatherby hype BS a few years ago and bought a Weatherby Element Deluxe for one of my kids....what a piece of crap. Fit, finish, & function are all about the same as a
$99 Chinese pump gun.

Disgusted Old Man Parker GIF - Disgusted Old Man Parker A Christmas Story -  Discover & Share GIFs

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back