Yeti GOBOX Collection

Gun Show Etiquette

A few of my local gun shops post their whole inventory on GB. They don't care whether it's on there a week, a month, or if it sells in the store. Just another way to move product.
Speakin a GB how does one deal with multiple orders from the same place since they don't appear to have a shopping cart? Otherwise you end up with 2 or more orders each with it's own shipping charge when the seller might ship all of the items in one package for one charge. BTW some of those shipping charge are ABSURD; $12 for a scope is ok, but $15 for a freakin alumina cover LOL. Easy to exercise one's right not to buy in that case.

That's about the time my dad's pal in Columbia Falls sold his. May have been the same gun? In the fifties Don went to a military surplus auction. He picked up a WWII era Army officer's sedan. When he got the car home and opened the trunk to check the spare, he discovered a machine gun with tripod. However, it was .30 cal not fifty. Browning but no water jacket. I don't recall ever seeing a .50 cal machine gun on a tripod (but I was MP not a ground pounder). Fifties are usually attached to something heavier, like APC or gun jeep. Don had the chamber welded shut and it was on display in the family's hardware store window for many years.
It's possible. I wouldn't swear that I'd have been able to tell the difference. It looked pretty huge, but that might have to do with the tiny little hands this fella had...

Speakin a GB how does one deal with multiple orders from the same place since they don't appear to have a shopping cart? Otherwise you end up with 2 or more orders each with it's own shipping charge when the seller might ship all of the items in one package for one charge. BTW some of those shipping charge are ABSURD; $12 for a scope is ok, but $15 for a freakin alumina cover LOL. Easy to exercise one's right not to buy in that case.
You can message a seller to negotiate changes to shipping. Some will, some won't. The absurd shipping fees help cover the GB, fees, taxes, and actual shipping. Not saying it's right, just the way it is

Back in the ammo shortage there were a lot of guys putting WILD shipping charges on small items and pricing them at pennies on the dollar. EX- $5 for a box of 9mm ammo with $50 shipping. Probably roped in a lot of suckers with that scam.

Last edited:
You can message a seller to negotiate changes to shipping. Some will, some won't. The absurd shipping fees help cover the GB, fees, taxes, and actual shipping.

Back in the ammo shortage there were a lot of guys putting WILD shipping charges on small items and pricing them at pennies on the dollar. EX- $5 for a box of 9mm ammo with $50 shipping. Probably roped in a lot of suckers with that scam
My seller said that they would combine shipping, but by then I'd already ordered. They agreed to issue a credit for one of them.

Back in the day when eBay wasn't charging FVF fees on shipping, sellers would pull that same stunt to reduce/avoid FVF fees. eBay wised up and started charging FVF fees on shipping. Wasn't a scam really, they were just gaming the system.

ten vendors will be selling the same item with shipping starting at $9 and others at $24.95 Sometimes its the same seller, same item, different prices and shipping charges. Just pay attention. It would not surprise me to learn that they are in cahoots.

The best part of going to a gun show is not running into all the people that quit going. You know, all the guys that don’t go any more because there is nothing cheap.

Meanwhile, there are still some nuggets that can be found, but you have to go to find them. Admittedly, gun shows aren’t what they were 30-40 years ago, but they still provide access to stuff you will never find in a store..

Every cool gun I've ever found was at a gun show, or pawn shop. The more you go to, the more cool stuff you find. Of course your ability to schmooze will determine the prices.

Corporate retail are the places I never waste any time.

The Hamilton shows are mostly social for me. I run into lots of people I know. Sometimes grab a deal.. A friend always has a display of really nice leverguns. I spend time trying to talk him out of one of his Model 700 .222 Remingtons. mtmuley
A deuce, you say? good choice if you can get one
222.jpg

I attended gun shows in the '90s. Denver, CO Springs, Grand Junction, Montrose. I bought a High Standard .22 pistol, a Marlin 57m, a Contender pistol, Blackhawk 357/9mm w moon clips, Marlin 444, a spanish no name O/U. I still have the 57m, gave the O/U to nephew. The others got away. Stopped attending gun shows because they became paramilitary, repetitive, more oriented to crafts and collectible junk, and boring. If ever I get the urge to go to a gunshow, I go shooting instead.

I got this at the gun show today. These cabinet cards of western origin are quite collectible. I never went there looking for one, but once in awhile you do find that nugget that you won’t find anywhere else…

View attachment 263429
I am almost 100% certain that's a Nez Perce and original Pendleton blanket. Is there a date? Contact the NPS unit in Spalding, ID to see if they can confirm and maybe give you more info on the person in the photo. Quite a find.

I don't go to a lot of them but do now and then just to look around. Every once in a great while I do find something I'm willing to spring for, not often though. I think there are very few good deals at gun shows.

Cheyenne had a tiny little gunshow the other weekend. Needing to get out of the house for a bit I spent the $5 door fee to check it out.

I've had some time to reflect.

I'm not a regular goer to gun shows, just never interested me so much, but I just don't remember them being like this one.

-Tables of new firearms at full retail
-Old, worn out trinkets
-Brass at 10% off new (who knows how many times fired...I could tell at least once with the dented case mouths and scratches)
-Used guns barely below new prices

Is this the norm? The new-norm? How much haggling do people do at these things?

Was looking for an T/C Encore barrel for fun, the one guy who had a few...prices above the cost of a new barrel, albeit maybe the new ones have a bit more lead time. I'm thinking I would pay MAYBE 50% for a used barrel at a gunshow, where the guy is going to be off to the next town by Monday. How do you lead with an offer of 50% off what he's asking?

Just curious as to everyones experiences.

I’ve been to 1 gun show, more on par with a yard sale and have no interest in going to another.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back