What kind of gun is good for a cabin person living deep in the American boonies?

"Cabin People" (La; Cameram Populus) are a little studied subspecies found in rural locations throughout North America. A subsistence people, most of their yearly income is earned documenting their lives on Youtube, Facebook, Instagram, or Podcasts. This subset generally "cling to guns or religion." While it is generally agreed upon which version of the divine is preferred, it remains unclear which firearms are clung to. It has been hypothesized the less advanced prefer what are commonly referred to as "assault weapons" (La; Impetum Telum), while those of higher intelligence generally use a bolt action rifle chambered in easily found cartridges like the 308 Winchester, and 22lr. Also, a 12 gauge pump shotgun and simple 357 Magnum revolver typically augment the bolt action rifles.

Grant money accepted for further research...

Last edited:
The answer is a bolt action 22lr with a simple magazine, a low power scope and some backup open sights

"Cabin People" (La; Cameram Populus) are a little studied subspecies found in rural locations throughout North America. A subsistence people, most of their yearly income is earned documenting their lives on Youtube, Facebook, Instagram, or Podcasts. This subset generally "cling to guns or religion." While it is generally agreed upon which version of the divine is preferred, it remains unclear which firearms are clung to. It has been hypothesized the less advanced prefer what are commonly referred to as "assault weapons" (La; Impetum Telum), while those of higher intelligence generally use a bolt action rifle chambered in easily found cartridges like the 308 Winchester, and 22lr. Also, a 12 gauge pump shotgun and simple 357 Magnum revolver typically augment the bolt action rifles.

Intelligence? Bolt-action smart? Armalite stupid? An AR in 5.56 is not a "smart" choice? It has virtually no recoil, a bunch of customizeable and replacable parts and surplus 5.56 ammo can be had for a song. Is t the best gun for a deep-woods dweller? Well, there might be a happy home for it in a Lincoln log cabin's battery. It's got protection from bad humans and varmints covered. Certainly something long and shoulder-fired in a bear-worthy, deer-worthy, elk-worthy, moose-worthy, wolf-worthy and/or lion-worthy caliber should accompany it. Out in the boonies, one's chance of encountering bad humans is slim but possible. In the big city, you won't liklely meet a grizzly bear, a black bear or a cougar in the streets or subway but there are some dangerous, not-so-big two-legged critters about the concrete jungles.

It seems as one might even meet a pack of ferocious wolves on bearish or bullish Wall Street:

Last edited:
I fired one of those M72A1 LAWs in the Army. Too many damned complicated steps to deal with it. Look for WITH COUPLING printed on it while inspecting. Much easier to draw a d/a revolver and shoot. Mr. Douglas, you forgot to yell "BACKBLAST AREA, ALL CLEAR!" with your head turned back before depressing the rubber trigger. Did you know Michael Douglas is anti-gun?

Last edited:
Intelligence? Bolt-action smart? Armalite stupid? An AR in 5.56 is not a "smart" choice? It has virtually no recoil, a bunch of customizeable and replacable parts and surplus 5.56 ammo can be had for a song. Is t the best gun for a deep-woods dweller? Well, there might be a happy home for it in a Lincoln log cabin's battery. It's got protection from bad humans and varmints covered. Certainly something long and shoulder-fired in a bear-worthy, deer-worthy, elk-worthy, moose-worthy, wolf-worthy and/or lion-worthy caliber should accompany it. Out in the boonies, one's chance of encountering bad humans is slim but possible. In the big city, you won't liklely meet a grizzly bear, a black bear or a cougar in the streets or subway but there are some dangerous, not-so-big two-legged critters about the concrete jungles.
Hey - don't shoot the reporter. I'm just cutting and pasting the latest thinking on Cameram Populus found on the internet. 😁

Reminds me of the old Mountain Men show on I believe the History channel. You could always tell the ones who were skilled and knew what they were doing vs the ones who were just trying to be on TV but didn't know how to do anything. The old guy in Montana was one of my favorites.

As a locksmith when people asked me "well how do I keep people out of my house" Its a 12 Guage but you better be serious is the standard answer.

Been thinking about this and for a rifle it a=has to be either a bolt action you trust or a single shot. Not much in the way of repair shops out there, In a shotgun I love SxS's but out there I think a single shot might be better. Again there is a shortage of gunsmith's out there!

WHERE =location
WHAT'S out there....
answer could be.22 /.410 Savage
or
should have a .45-70 double rifle.
.357-.45 long COLT.for handgun. all depends....location location location.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back