Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

What kind of gun is good for a cabin person living deep in the American boonies?

a 12 gauge, a .357 pistol and a 30-06.

'Merica.

The Mossberg 500 I have is my dove gun. I also have a Remingtom 870 police pump 12. That should be a lot of gun for many duties on farm, ranch or rural homestead. Different shells make this gun quite versatile. I also have a Smith & Wesson Governor. Great holster sidearm in much of woodsy America, perhaps? Hard-cast bullets available in .45 Colt. There may be big "Smokey the Bears" about.

I also think I might have a good 22 for varmints, including fox or coon in the chicken coop, and a good woods deer rifle like a Savage Model 99. A country spread also needs a good dog or two.

The possibilties of gun duties in a rural home/farm/ranch setting are many.

-protection from bad humans
-protection from varmints
-protection of self, pets, family members and livestock from predators
-dispatching injured animals as cows, sheep, horses, goats, mules, burros with broken legs
-hunting game and dispatching wounded game

Last edited:
Henry Long Ranger lever action in 6.5 Creedmoor. Suitable in all situations including defense against Squatch. However, DO NOT attempt to buy one until I finally get mine.

iStock-641509888r.jpg

Henry Long Ranger lever action in 6.5 Creedmoor. Suitable in all situations including defense against Squatch. However, DO NOT attempt to buy one until I finally get mine.

A Henry Long Ranger in 223 Rem/5.56 NATO might be great for fox, coyote or coon in the hen house. A 12-ga. with slugs or a Governor with .45 Colt hardcast should take care of Squatch or bear. Savage 99 in a deer caliber like .308 or .3oo Savage might cover wolf, cougar, deer, moose and elk.

What gun one calls upon depends upon what the target is, where it is (inside the home, outside in the yard, in a vehicle, in a boat or in the field) and the activity (hunting, squiring, farm work, horseback work, gathering firewood, camping, hiking).

Tom was out hunting trophy "toms" if you can believe that! But all cougar jokes aside.....oh, you though I meant longbeard turkeys......well, anyway.....

On other gun and hunting forums but I've been getting booted out of there or having my threads deleted. I was hoping to get taken seriously here after a long departure.

Anyway, please forget about Saturday mornings on 1970's television. That was just to throw some spark here to avert boredom.

I'd just like to know what sensible firearms a boonies man might have in his cabin battery if he had a small farm or ranch out in a very woodsy North American area.

Good to have you back Tom! We might not always take you seriously but we are glad to have you around.

Your threads are always a hoot!

.22 pistol on my hip a lever action .22 mag a .270 win a 12gauge shotgun and a Catahoula Hanging Tree cross dog.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back