Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Is the Montefeltro played? What's the most core trap gun?

How's everybody feel about the 16 gauge?
I hear the shells are pretty hard to come by in Ontario, but fairly easy to find in Montana.
Thoughts opinions?
Also, 12 or 20?
Again, prob mostly using this for shooting clays.

Whatever you do, don't get a Weatherby SA-08. I got a pawn shop "deal" on one, turns out it doesn't really do anything well...

I could be wrong, but I believe the 1100 did offer a 3” option as well. I don’t think they were capable of cycling 2 3/4” shells out of the 3” models, at least not well. I believe that is what lead to the 11/87, which is nearly the same gun.

If I remember correctly, the 11/87 had additional holes drilled in the gas cylinder as well as an additional spring or something like that. Again, not certain on the 1100 as I’ve never owned one but I’m reasonably sure that problem is what the 11-87 was created to solve.

I have been conducting a failure test on this damn thing for 20 years. If I ever clean it, I will confirm the cylinder/spring thing🙂
You are correct. At least the older Model 1100s in 3" would not cycle shorter shells unless barrels were switched to 2.75". My brother got a great deal on an immaculate 1100 mag at a gun show and was dying to use it for pheasant hunting with me and my dogs. Should have called me before he bought it. He sold it at the next gun show and made a bit of money. I'm not sure if Remington didn't correct the problem ... eventually.

No one shoots 1100 at the club. No one. They tell me it's hard to get two boxes through one without cleaning it. If shooting trap, it's no big deal when the gun doesn't cycle. Just pull the empties by hand. That way I don't have to pick them up afterwards.* Of course, for skeet and clays it's essential to use a gun that will cycle reliably. A lot of guys at the club shoot Beretta autos and swear by them. The two issues I have observed are lousy support from Stoeger USA and very thin wood on forearms that can break easily.

* For trap league I formerly set my OLD A-5 up with 3" magnum brakes specifically so it WOULD NOT cycle trap loads. That way it wasn't tossing empties onto the guy beside me on the line. I pulled them manually and put them in the bag. But that way the gun also pushed on me harder and when I went to the skeet range I had to remove the fore end and barrel to switch the brake (or remove brake altogether for some 1 oz loads). Eventually I bought a Birchwood shell catcher and changed the magnum barrel spring and brake to 2.75". Range recoil is now very light (I can actually tune it to match individual trap loads so the empties just kick out = softest recoil and less jumpy "double shuffle" when the barrel slides forward at end of cycle). For field hunting geese I change back to magnum spring and brakes.

I had an 11-87 when I was younger, shot it a ton. I used to start getting fail to feeds around 85-90 rounds through it. Lost a few birds on sporting clays rounds due to that. Swapped to a beretta 390 and had much better reliability.

How's everybody feel about the 16 gauge?
I hear the shells are pretty hard to come by in Ontario, but fairly easy to find in Montana.
Thoughts opinions?
Also, 12 or 20?
Again, prob mostly using this for shooting clays.
If you’re smart enough to complete an online order it’s no problem at all. I have three cases on hand all the time.

I really like those a5's...
what are your thoughts on 20 vs 12?
Browning is really pushing the new A-5 Sweet Sixteen and even started making trap ammo for them. They are inertia action so the recoil is about the same as fixed breech 870 or O/U. Not a lot of 16 gauge on the shelves even in the best of times. Sure, you can order it ... and hope the supplier has some on hand. The stuff doesn't move well so inventories are often devoted more towards 12 and 20 gauge which does move better. Demand governs supply. I think 16 gauge is an excellent gun for trap, especially for women and kids. Many guys at the club shoot skeet and clays with .410 and a few use 28 gauge. Those guys reload, which is cheaper (less shot and powder needed). Right now NO ONE is shooting any quantity of .410 unless reloading. Very hard to find factory shells (= hull shortages for reloading). They are gold when they do show up. Curiously, we are seeing a fair amount of 28 gauge available on the shelves. Very rare to see a sixteen gauge of any sort at the range.

Browning is really pushing the new A-5 Sweet Sixteen and even started making trap ammo for them. They are inertia action so the recoil is about the same as fixed breech 870 or O/U. Not a lot of 16 gauge on the shelves even in the best of times. Sure, you can order it ... and hope the supplier has some on hand. The stuff doesn't move well so inventories are often devoted more towards 12 and 20 gauge which does move better. Demand governs supply. I think 16 gauge is an excellent gun for trap, especially for women and kids. Many guys at the club shoot skeet and clays with .410 and a few use 28 gauge. Those guys reload, which is cheaper (less shot and powder needed). Right now NO ONE is shooting any quantity of .410 unless reloading. Very hard to find factory shells (= hull shortages for reloading). They are gold when they do show up. Curiously, we are seeing a fair amount of 28 gauge available on the shelves. Very rare to see a sixteen gauge of any sort at the range.
I wish the sweet 16 without the engraving was in stock somewhere.
02935B43-9B39-43C8-AF01-925495C0FAEB.png

If you want an autoloader, why stop with the monte, might as well go benelli super sport. I'm not even sure they build them anymore, I wanted one for a long time. I already have a super black eagle, so pretty hard to justify.

If you want an autoloader, why stop with the monte, might as well go benelli super sport. I'm not even sure they build them anymore, I wanted one for a long time. I already have a super black eagle, so pretty hard to justify.
I want it to be a little bit pretentious.
Again, in the event of a purchase, I feel like I have to go with the a5 sweet 16.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back