Gun Show Etiquette

The strangest moment I ever seen at a gun show. Some guy had a few reloaders for sale and in the middle of the show when it was noisy as hell all the sudden a loud bang goes off. Sudden silence for about 30 seconds. The guy with the reloader was showing it off and somehow made a primer go off. The promoter who ran the show was not too happy

I agree, gun shows are pretty much a waste of time. My experience is on the other side of the table though. People bring stuff in to trade wanting full retail or more for their used guns, don't think they have to pass a background check because of some made-up belief of a loophole, or because of sellers on gunbroker who are selling quantity.

The only real benefit to a dealer to go is to get your name out there. We went to a few when we first started. The prices on other vendors stuff was unbelievably high. We have priced everything at msrp from day 1. Most vendors at gun shows only do gun shows. Lots of them go around before the doors open and buy stuff from other vendors take it back to their booth and mark it up.

I agree, gun shows are pretty much a waste of time. My experience is on the other side of the table though. People bring stuff in to trade wanting full retail or more for their used guns, don't think they have to pass a background check because of some made-up belief of a loophole, or because of sellers on gunbroker who are selling quantity.

The only real benefit to a dealer to go is to get your name out there. We went to a few when we first started. The prices on other vendors stuff was unbelievably high. We have priced everything at msrp from day 1. Most vendors at gun shows only do gun shows. Lots of them go around before the doors open and buy stuff from other vendors take it back to their booth and mark it up.
I've heard a realtor or 2 say that an open house is more to benefit the realtor than to sell the house.

BTW, if another dealer shows his FFL how much of a break do you normally give him on price?

Last edited:
I've heard a realtor or 2 sy that an pen house is more to benefit the realtor than to sell the house.

BTW, if another dealer shows his FFL how much of a break do you normally give him on price?
That sounds like a simple question but there's no simple answer. If it's a large bulk buy (splitting a pallet of shotgun shells) then it's just cost. If it's something that is extremely hard to get (ruger marlin 45-70) no discounts because we can sell it very quickly. If it's something that's available but their distributor doesn't carry it we split the profit.

We also donate or give major discounts to non-profits rmef, ducks unlimited, volunteer fire department, etc. That's something people need to think about when they are buying online is that the local places are the ones who donate back to their area.

I've heard a realtor or 2 say that an open house is more to benefit the realtor than to sell the house.

It's true, once in a while a buyer will wander into an open house and make an offer, but 99% of the time it's for the broker to churn more business.

I've been to a couple gun shows, was easily able to keep my wallet in my pocket at those prices...

It's true, once in a while a buyer will wander into an open house and make an offer, but 99% of the time it's for the broker to churn more business.

I've been to a couple gun shows, was easily able to keep my wallet in my pocket at those prices...
More often than not they don't have what you want. Things might be different now, but why would you buy a brick of .22s at a show when they were usually cheaper at WalMart? I have pretty much everything I'll ever need considering age and health so I'd be looking for specialty items like trigger parts. Some of those boxes of ammo have been to hundreds of shows.

More often than not they don't have what you want. Things might be different now, but why would you buy a brick of .22s at a show when they were usually cheaper at WalMart? I have pretty much everything I'll ever need considering age and health so I'd be looking for specialty items like trigger parts. Some of those boxes of ammo have been to hundreds of shows.
Most of the gun show vendors mark their stuff way up with the expectation that interested parties will try to haggle with them. Classic pawn shop tactic! Car dealerships do the same. Always bugs me when a vendor leans over as I put the gun back on the table and whispers "Make me an offer on that one." Suddenly I lose all interest! See ya.

Speakin a GB how does one deal with multiple orders from the same place since they don't appear to have a shopping cart? Otherwise you end up with 2 or more orders each with it's own shipping charge when the seller might ship all of the items in one package for one charge. BTW some of those shipping charge are ABSURD; $12 for a scope is ok, but $15 for a freakin alumina cover LOL. Easy to exercise one's right not to buy in that case.
Just ask the retailer if they will combine shipping. Most do.

I find a lot of history in these shows in that those of us that do not know the lineage of some brands and what all they produced is usually present and is there for the learning. No one is forcing you to buy anything and its cheap entertainment if you can avoid the airport priced cafeterias. I saw a Marlin 336 in 218 Bee for around $1400 at this last show. Pretty decent shape too. It may be at the next show and I'll be weaker, maybe.

I’ve only been to 2 in my life, both 10+ years ago, and my experience was much the same as you all. Pretty much everything that sucks about Craigslist packed into one room. Bunch of crap at way too high of an asking price.

There was a guy at one with a table that was all pistol length sawed off Sxs shotguns. I thought that was bold of him to pedal in public.

For various reasons, I went to a local gun show yesterday. First time in years. I was somewhat stunned by the quality of the guns there. No, it wasn't spectacular by any means, but that there was even one interesting gun or guns just there to show and not sell, was a first in decades for me. There were cased Parker repros, some other CSMC guns, a Merkel or two, and the usual rabble of lower grade American doubles. There was a guy who specialized in Ohio muzzleloaders. He had a table full of them just to show and chat about. A few were pretty rough in spots, but he would point out some still well-preserved features that were unusual and showed excellent craftsmanship.

Overall, the ratio of black walnut to black guns was far above what I expected, even if they weren't all collectors guns. I bought only a few reloading handtools, but it was still worth my time to see these and some old lever guns.

There was one gun, however, that stood out above the rest, and the seller/owner was more than happy to let me snap a pic and then gave me a link to some more pictures on line. I thought a few of you here might appreciate it.

This is a 20 gauge singleshot. The weight I disremember, but it was well under 5 lbs. The gun has double set triggers and the barrel's serial number is 1 more than the action serial number, which lead the seller to speculate that there is a second barrel out there, almost certainly a rifle barrel. Sounded reasonable to me. In any event, a beautiful gun with wonderful metal to wood fit, spectacular engraving with silver wire inlay, and fabulous condition (minus the underlever).

I held the gun to inspect and thought hard about what I could do with it. Hunt turkeys? I don't know if would be up to that. But what a great piece of work.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

jEFF8RP.jpg

Problem with gun shows out here is that most the people selling guns are retailers without a shop. Going to the gun shows takes away the need for a shop. I still like to go now and then but I seldom ever buy anything at them, prices simply way out of line!

Just ask the retailer if they will combine shipping. Most do.
I was told by one seller at GB to pay with PayPal and they will then invoice you for the total with shipping combined. Still it would be best to ask first rather than assume that they will. That seems like the best way to ensure that you won't pay shipping on each order as the other options seem to process each order fully and you will be at the mercy of the seller to refund the extra shipping.

The only time I've ever heard someone say, "I'm a lean, mean, killing machine", in complete seriousness, was outside a gun show in Missoula, circa late 90's. The guy had just driven in and the bed of his truck contained a .50 cal machine gun on a tripod (hopefully not real?)
But I've never actually gone into one. Believe it or not, they're not very common in NY...
You hatin on my setup brah?

Cheyenne had a tiny little gunshow the other weekend. Needing to get out of the house for a bit I spent the $5 door fee to check it out.

I've had some time to reflect.

I'm not a regular goer to gun shows, just never interested me so much, but I just don't remember them being like this one.

-Tables of new firearms at full retail
-Old, worn out trinkets
-Brass at 10% off new (who knows how many times fired...I could tell at least once with the dented case mouths and scratches)
-Used guns barely below new prices

Is this the norm? The new-norm? How much haggling do people do at these things?

Was looking for an T/C Encore barrel for fun, the one guy who had a few...prices above the cost of a new barrel, albeit maybe the new ones have a bit more lead time. I'm thinking I would pay MAYBE 50% for a used barrel at a gunshow, where the guy is going to be off to the next town by Monday. How do you lead with an offer of 50% off what he's asking?

Just curious as to everyones experiences.
Don't forget

- individuals wandering around with signs selling "private sale" guns for more than they are worth to folks who fear a background check
- lots and lots of "free state" silliness
- Ronco gadgets -- knife sharpeners, over priced coolers, cookware, backpacks, etc.

They used to be cool. Even had a booth once to do a safe clean up cycle. But haven't been in 10 yrs. In my neck of the woods they quit being about outdoorsman and enthusiasts, and instead turned into crap dealers and proud boy posing.

Don't forget

- individuals wandering around with signs selling "private sale" guns for more than they are worth to folks who fear a background check
- lots and lots of "free state" silliness
- Ronco gadgets -- knife sharpeners, over priced coolers, cookware, backpacks, etc.

They used to be cool. Even had a booth once to do a safe clean up cycle. But haven't been in 10 yrs. In my neck of the woods they quit being about outdoorsman and enthusiasts, and instead turned into crap dealers and proud boy posing.
Used to go to the Hutchinson one when I was still local. Back then it was still a good show with overall decent prices on used guns. The last time I went it was starting to be more and more vendors selling new guns for what you could get them at locally. Lost interest.

I recently had the opportunity to pay $10 to get into a gun show. A few tables lined with Pre-64s, JM Marlins, and 1894s. All at obscene prices. Next to them were stacks upon stacks of cheap junk scopes with "guarantee" stamped on all the boxes. I can take a dump in a box and stamp it "Guaranteed"...I got a lot of time. I forget what tacticool name was on the sticker but I remember googling them and seeing they were on par with plastic packaged Tasco scopes we used to see in Wal-Mart.

My $10 opportunity cost saved me a $5 on a 1lb of LeverEvolution thus reinforcing my post from exactly 1 year ago.

Last edited:
At a local gun show in 2019 I met the guy who talked me into an African safari. He eventually decided to tag along later that year. I've been back three times since. Five dollar entrance fee worth it that day.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back