Is 22 FPS worth it?

CB1

Thinking of upgrading to a used Elite Option 7 from my Diamond Infinity Edge Pro. The listed IBO is only 22 FPS faster. I’m sure a newer bow with smoother draw and other “upgrades” would be nice. I shot two deer with my bow this year and it works well enough but it’s pretty slow with my heavier arrow setup.

What is your thought process when choosing to upgrade your bow? Would you upgrade for 22 FPS? Are newer features worth it? How do you evaluate the choice other than “I want a new bow”?

Last edited:
I was curious in general how others made the decision.

but.. I have a 27.5” draw length, around 60 lbs, arrow is 550 currently.

My decision would depend on how well I liked my bow and how fast it currently shot. Upgrading from 260 to 280 is different than upgrading from 330 to 350.

Also, IBO speeds should be taken with a grain of salt. I’d be willing to guess if you shot both bows (set up for your length/weight), the speed difference would not be 22 FPS. Could be more or less.

I think thats a good up grade Personally, and not because of the increase in speed. I think you're getting an overall better bow That compares well to almost all current flag ship models. I see value.

@madtom I have no idea how fast it actually shoots. I feel like I can really watch the arrow based on weight and speed lol. I was looking at IBO as a relative compariso and assumed faster is better. It’s an alright bow, definitely lower end but I have not used anything else.

@Trial153 makes sense. Just an overall upgrade regardless of speed.

@mtmuley That resonates for some reason. If going for the best fit then it’s worth it. Unfortunately it’s a bit more expensive to get a bow than adjust powder/primer/bullet (potentially) but it makes sense.

@Trial153 makes sense. Just an overall upgrade regardless of speed.

@mtmuley That resonates for some reason. If going for the best fit then it’s worth it. Unfortunately it’s a bit more expensive to get a bow than adjust powder/primer/bullet (potentially) but it makes sense.
Understood. Just wanted to make the case of how fixated we get sometimes. mtmuley

Understood. Just wanted to make the case of how fixated we get sometimes. mtmuley
Ah so not necessarily is it worth it but that we can sometimes chase the most obscure benefit to have the best setup possible. I can appreciate that for sure.

The option 7 is a nice bow. I tuned a handful of option 6s and 7s and they are nice bows. Good value at used prices.

I keep my bow for a few years and then start looking for a new one, technology changes so fast today when it comes to compound bows. Since I got my first bow 30 years ago, the differences in speed, accuracy and smoothness of draw have changed so much over the years. My 1st bow had a bow string and cables and circular cams, 2nd bow came with oblong cams, then when I purchased my 3rd bow, there was one long string and a single "hatchet" style cam on it, I'm on my 4th bow now, a Bowtech RPM360, I bought that back in 2016, now we're in 2021 and the technology that's available in compound bows today make my current bow almost obsolete. I still have my 2nd bow, and the differences between that and my current one are huge.

Your arrow is VERY heavy for length and draw weight. I don't think you will get 22 for by switching.

It s enough to change trajectory, if you shoot longer shots it might help.

Upgrading I usually look for smoothness and speed with lower draw weight.

I recently went from roughly a 09 matthews reezen to a bowtech revolt x. The biggest difference I have noticed is how smooth the bowtech is and having the extra letoff pulling 70lbs is definitely worth it. The matthews killed alot of deer but I can shoot this bowtech with alot more comfort which in turn should mean a little more accuracy, that's never a bad thing.

I just upgraded from a Mathews Creed to a PSE Evoke 31. I mainly did it for speed and I’m sure glad I did. The let off on that PSE is amazing as well. So I’d say go for it! I’m on the opposite end of the spectrum as far as arrow weight goes tho. I’m a 27” draw and shooting a 360 grain arrow.

Don’t ever remember letting the IBO speed rating factor into my decision to buy a bow or not. Too many variables can effect that.
How the bow draws and feels in my hand is way more important to me than FPS.

Thinking of upgrading to a used Elite Option 7 from my Diamond Infinity Edge Pro. The listed IBO is only 22 FPS faster. I’m sure a newer bow with smoother draw and other “upgrades” would be nice. I shot two deer with my bow this year and it works well enough but it’s pretty slow with my heavier arrow setup.

What is your thought process when choosing to upgrade your bow? Would you upgrade for 22 FPS? Are newer features worth it? How do you evaluate the choice other than “I want a new bow”?

I would do it just because the Option is a far better bow that will likely help you shoot better, forget the speed factor...

IN my opinion 22 fps does nothing in a hunting situation
smoother,less vibration ,dead in hand,and even slightly less noise are all for us not for the game we hunt
Im not saying dont upgrade but I wouldnt do it just for 22fps
For most game my bow has had 100% pass tru so how far does an arrow need to stick in the dirt 6 or 9 inches lol

IN my opinion 22 fps does nothing in a hunting situation
smoother,less vibration ,dead in hand,and even slightly less noise are all for us not for the game we hunt
Im not saying dont upgrade but I wouldnt do it just for 22fps
For most game my bow has had 100% pass tru so how far does an arrow need to stick in the dirt 6 or 9 inches lol
Great input right there!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back