Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

I need to prove a point.

This is pretty accurate.

Or: use a combination of ears, face shape, coat & hump.
Combination is really the key a black bear, especially if you just had a quick look, can have grizz like any of these.

In photos another tell are the claws
View attachment 186082
View attachment 186083

View attachment 186081
View attachment 186084

I think a good analogy to the identification issue is apple versus tomato. When you go to the store you don't confuse the two, but it's not that easy to describe the differences between the two to someone.

There really isn't any description that you can provide for a grizzly that couldn't also accurately describe a black bear. 700lbs, has a hump, brown with silvery fur, more dish faced...

View attachment 186087View attachment 186086
View attachment 186088View attachment 186089
Why are you showing us four pictures of black bears?

I was speaking of potential, not specifics.
😄
I am sure it could be said of all of us. Especially if our spouse’s occasional opinion is factored in.
Looking at you @JLS and @Schaaf ....😂
Trynna figure out if I should be offended or laugh (insert nervous chuckle)……

I know that is a black bear obviously. But just in case someone unfamiliar is reading this thread, what sort of characteristics do you guys look for in order to distinguish between them?

And using deer points to determine age doesn't work. Usually a large spike buck will stay a spike buck forever, need to cull them from the herd so u get better bucks the next season.

For me, I usually shoot anything that resembles a bear as the Prairie Grizzly has been extinct for 100+ years.

Trynna figure out if I should be offended or laugh (insert nervous chuckle)……
Truth hurts man. I'm only trying to include those of whom I know that which I speak of is true and can also understand I share the same identity. At least our dogs always think we are the good guys. (excepting the time I make her drop the dead gopher I pitched into the vacant lot next door.)

Textbook Black Bear, that’s an easy one on the Montana bear ID test. However, I don’t know if anyone can say for certain what the bear identifies as - both gender and species.

@mtmuley not to be a smarty pants but have you suggested they take that test? Regardless if one hunts I think anyone that takes that should be able to walk away with a better understanding of the differences between the two. You should show them this thread and then take the test separately, guarantee they miss a bunch if they think this is a griz.

I know that is a black bear obviously. But just in case someone unfamiliar is reading this thread, what sort of characteristics do you guys look for in order to distinguish between them?

And using deer points to determine age doesn't work. Usually a large spike buck will stay a spike buck forever, need to cull them from the herd so u get better bucks the next season.
Hate to burst your bubble, but spikes do not always stay spikes.

Textbook Black Bear, that’s an easy one on the Montana bear ID test. However, I don’t know if anyone can say for certain what the bear identifies as - both gender and species.

@mtmuley not to be a smarty pants but have you suggested they take that test? Regardless if one hunts I think anyone that takes that should be able to walk away with a better understanding of the differences between the two. You should show them this thread and then take the test separately, guarantee they miss a bunch if they think this is a griz.
They don't hunt. Driving on gravel roads is as wild as they get. My wife said "Are you sure it's not a grizzly?" I tod her I knew where to reinforce my assessment. Thanks guys. mtmuley

View attachment 186079

Happy Friday you filthy animals
That’s funny right there. I don’t care who you are. Don’t sweat it @mtmuley. You can’t control what folks believe no matter how wrong they are. Example: I used to be the president of our local NWTF chapter. I received 3 calls from folks asking me why the Kentucky fish and wildlife department was dropping rattlesnakes from helicopters to control the turkey population. You can’t make that up. Folks actually believe that nonsense.

That’s funny right there. I don’t care who you are. Don’t sweat it @mtmuley. You can’t control what folks believe no matter how wrong they are. Example: I used to be the president of our local NWTF chapter. I received 3 calls from folks asking me why the Kentucky fish and wildlife department was dropping rattlesnakes from helicopters to control the turkey population. You can’t make that up. Folks actually believe that nonsense.
Doesn't matter. The black panther already ate all the turkeys.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back