HTer Fitness Goals '24 Edition

When I look back on my 2023 goals, I did ok. Lost almost 40 pounds, and gained 10 back, and have reached a kind of equilibrium around 225.

I know for myself, the working out is the easy part. I joined a crossfit gym 3 years ago and it is often the best part of my day - both physically and mentally - to put myself first for an hour. The difference in my stamina for hiking is night and day, and in particular, my ability to push myself to the limit one day, and follow it up with maximum effort again in the next. It seemed back when I was in far worse shape, I could really push myself similar to now, but it would devastate me for days after. Not so much anymore.

As they say, you can't outwork a bad diet, and nutrition really is the struggle. I burn about an average of ~3100 cal a day. To a lot of folks staying under or at that would be easy, but bad habits die hard. One thing for sure is that planning out my meals, and documenting everything I eat, is almost required for me to have any success. So my goal for 2024 is to continue to exist in a slight caloric deficit, and turn 40 this fall around 200 pounds. Another thing somewhat on my radar for the coming years is TRT - I've been tested and don't really need it now, but likely would benefit from it in the coming years. As far as I can tell, for men around 50 and beyond, the pros outweigh the cons. Maybe my opinion on that will change with further internet "research".

Not exactly fitness - but I’ve been doing a sort of February personal challenge the last few years where I do some small daily challenge every day of the month. This year I am gonna do a cold plunge every day. Ideally first thing in the morning since that sounds the worst but also will wake me up. I got a $100 dollar plastic cattle tank in the back yard and have an aquarium heater so it doesn’t freeze. It’s been working well enough.
Scream like a banshee as you dash across the yard, it’s a great way to increase SP02 return.

When I look back on my 2023 goals, I did ok. Lost almost 40 pounds, and gained 10 back, and have reached a kind of equilibrium around 225.

I know for myself, the working out is the easy part. I joined a crossfit gym 3 years ago and it is often the best part of my day - both physically and mentally - to put myself first for an hour. The difference in my stamina for hiking is night and day, and in particular, my ability to push myself to the limit one day, and follow it up with maximum effort again in the next. It seemed back when I was in far worse shape, I could really push myself similar to now, but it would devastate me for days after. Not so much anymore.

As they say, you can't outwork a bad diet, and nutrition really is the struggle. I burn about an average of ~3100 cal a day. To a lot of folks staying under or at that would be easy, but bad habits die hard. One thing for sure is that planning out my meals, and documenting everything I eat, is almost required for me to have any success. So my goal for 2024 is to continue to exist in a slight caloric deficit, and turn 40 this fall around 200 pounds. Another thing somewhat on my radar for the coming years is TRT - I've been tested and don't really need it now, but likely would benefit from it in the coming years. As far as I can tell, for men around 50 and beyond, the pros outweigh the cons. Maybe my opinion on that will change with further internet "research".
I’m with you on this! Also a product of ‘84 myself and haven’t seen 200# for about 20yrs now.

‘84 guy here too. I’ve fallen into the challenges of work and family life and I’m nowhere near as active as I used to be. I haven’t run for months because of hunting season, work travel, and winter weather. I set my baseline time to beat for this year. At the end of the summer, I want to see how much I can shave off of this. I’ve never been one for working out but if I can run and hike with a pack on a regular basis this summer, I’ll be happy with myself.
IMG_0015.jpeg

4 weeks post op from TKR today. Working hard on recovery, then plan to hit the gym. As of this coming Friday will be retired. The goal I've set is to be in the best physical shape I've ever been in on my 55th birthday in August.
1. I hate you! No, congratulations on retirement at age 54. :cool:(y)

2. TKR July 2, 2020. Hiked/camped 3 miles with 55 pound pack September 11, 2020. Rode 20 miles off road on my dirt bike on December 2, 2020. Tons of hunts, hikes, and rides since.

Ride the exercise bike daily or at least as often as possible, and full recovery should come amazingly fast.

20210826_180859.jpg

Last edited:
1. I hate you! No, congratulations on retirement at age 54. :cool:(y)

2. TKR July 2, 2020. Hiked/camped 3 miles with 55 pound pack September 11, 2020. Rode 20 miles off road on my dirt bike on December 2, 2020. Tons of hunts, hikes, and rides since.

Ride the exercise bike daily or at least as often as possible, and full recovery should come

Lol. Sounds like you kicked @ss in recovery. Good work! I'm 10.5 weeks post op now and recovery is going well. For the most part, the surgery wasn't bad. Only a couple of days of moderate pain then just mostly minor pain and discomfort here and there. Seems like between week 7 and 8 was a big turning point. I'm now walking 2 - 2.5 miles every day. Did 3.4 miles with 800' elevation last week and felt good. Riding the bike 4 times per week and going to the gym 5 days per week lifting. Getting leg strength back into the leg after 13 years of atrophy is gonna be tough, I can tell.

Lol. Sounds like you kicked @ss in recovery. Good work! I'm 10.5 weeks post op now and recovery is going well. For the most part, the surgery wasn't bad. Only a couple of days of moderate pain then just mostly minor pain and discomfort here and there. Seems like between week 7 and 8 was a big turning point. I'm now walking 2 - 2.5 miles every day. Did 3.4 miles with 800' elevation last week and felt good. Riding the bike 4 times per week and going to the gym 5 days per week lifting. Getting leg strength back into the leg after 13 years of atrophy is gonna be tough, I can tell.
You are doing awesome! Should be a very enjoyable and active retirement!

Reactions: BRI
Count me in....Again. I'm late to the party I wanted to start first of the year but I quit drinking and I couldn't tackle both at the same time. Still not positive I'm ready to either lol. At 215ish looking to hit 180 or so.

Last edited:
I'm slow to respond but started following this before the new year and started the year with changes. I had back surgery last year and had to skip hunting season. Just now working out normaly after the surgery. Planning to hit it hard this year to make up for it. I copied a few guys from early in the thread. Don't remember the names. I'm doing the 100 days of outside activity goal. Counting things like hiking, biking, dirt bikes, fishing, hunting, and conservation work. Got a good start to it already even with the Colorado winter.

Also copied another guys workout schedule. Cardio and endurance has been my weakness. So switching form alternating lifting and cardio days to now doing at least 20min of hard cardio everyday and 40 weighted squats 5 days a week, then doing mixed weightlifting 5 days a week after that. Because of my back switching from focusing on heavy weight and strength to lighter weight and endurance. I've kept this up so far and my legs and lungs are already both noticeably better.

Last would be to loose the 10 pounds I put on after surgery plus an extra 5-10 pounds after that.

Another mile in the pool, already getting easier.

Trails were muddy and kind of treacherous in spots running yesterday, and we have a bit more wet snow on the way. May be sticking to the pool or taking the pack for some hikes here for the next month, then I will probably hit running as my primary workout.

Still 10 pounds too fat- no change from yesterday.

Loooots of 40s or soon to be 40s here. I hope you all reach your short and long term goals!

I'm not following a different trajectory this year, just doing the usual.

Some sustainable tips for a healthier life:

Move every day, for at least 30 minutes.
Get sun on your face every day that it's shining, vitamin D is important!
Get good sleep habits, and fix your sleep apnea if you have it (it makes you fat and sleepy).
Keep up with your friends and family on a regular basis.

Eat more vegetables and fruits (fiber is important for your happiness, your gut health, and your cholesterol).
Sugar should be an infrequent treat.
Don't drink too much alcohol (like 3 standard drinks/week or less).

This is what I tell my patients, who knows if they ever do it.

Fitness goals are pretty simple for me. Maintain 220lb bodyweight while running 20km a week. Hoping to do a couple half marathons in the summer, one in Banff and one on Vancouver island. People always say cardio is the death of gains, but I’ve put on 22lbs of muscle mass while running every second day the past 10 months. I just figured boxers do a shit ton of cardio and still maintain muscle mass, so why couldn’t I

My buddies and I got a new objective on the calendar now for July - I find it helps motivate me to have something on the books that’s a bit scary! This year we are gonna give the Hardrock 100 course a go and try to get it done in 3 days. (People call such a multi day effort the Softrock). Keeping after my base strength training and working on my aerobic base with trail running. Last year on our Pfiffner hike I could crush all the uphills but struggled in the Downhill sections. So this year I am gonna try to do more downhill running in training (something I avoided last year) and see if that can help me out.

(February cold plunging is coming along well. Just jump in straight out of bed. Seems like it helps with inflammation/stiffness from previous training. I am now doing 5min at 50F for anyone curious. I don’t dread it but being chilly for a bunch of the morning afterwards is kinda annoying - still overall I think it will be something I continue off and on).

in what may be the first big victory of the year... managed to lose weight after a 10 day road show that included a visit with my whole family (they def aren't tracking calories) followed by a work trip in which I had very little say in our food options each day. Apparently the threat of jazzercise at the end of the 2024 season has me pretty focused 🤣👯‍♂️

No issues hitting my 200 pushups a day (average/month) through Feb. Just need to finish out 200 in the next two days.

As much as I tell myself I will reduce my heavier lifting before I injure something on my 55 yo body, I still get a little carried away. I had a quick leg workout yesterday, so decided to knock out some of my chest workout that is up for today. I was happy about how well 2x12x225 flat bench felt, so also registered 2x12x60s flat flies. Maybe I will try to put up 315 in the next month or so.

Feeling pretty good after having to take some time off from the gym due to a foot injury in early January.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back