Caribou Gear Tarp

HTer Fitness Goals '24 Edition

Appropriate for me to follow that post, Will!;)

I just got back from a 10k run, first one on the road this year. Not a race, just by myself. Broke an hour but not by that much, and it hurt worse than it should.

One of these years I’m not going to take the winter off. Starting “over” every spring sucks, at least it’s an early jump this year. Swimming has seemed to help my wind a bit.

Down around 3 lbs in the past few weeks, so that feels good. Would feel better running (but prob not swimming) if I was sub 170- that will come sometime in the next few months unless I’m dumb with food and beer.

Yesterday was my first proper run for me in 3 months! After testing positive for COVID in early December have now only felt like getting after it and was happy to push reasonably hard on a 7km race.

Hopefully now I can start getting fit for my planned half marathon (Australia in August) and full marathon (Queenstown in November). Will be focusing on hunting the roar and rut until late June then proper training kicks off.

Fortunately in NZ we don’t have an off season for winter (for both hunting or running) so can do both to suit.

4.5 today and felt like total crap. I ate a big scramble thing like an hour or two before I ran- I knew it was a mistake when I ordered it, but it was tasty so I can’t complain too much.

I have found I need to be really careful of what, if anything, I eat before going for a run. 90%+ of the time I go it’s when I haven’t eaten anything all day (even when I go after work), so I don’t know if that’s just what I’m used to or what.

My best runs are always in the morning on a completely empty stomach other than coffee. Any carbs of any sort and it’s a crapshoot.

My best runs are always in the morning on a completely empty stomach other than coffee. Any carbs of any sort and it’s a crapshoot.

Up to this point I have shared your thinking. Lately though I’ve been doing peanut butter toast with a drizzle of honey. Sits well in the stomach and I don’t get nauseous when I push hard.

Anyone here cold plunge and actually purchase a unit for their home? Ive done it before and love it, but basically just used a trough... wife is thinking once we re-do our deck and add a hot tub, she'd like something a little nicer looking ha

I finished my February of daily morning cold plunges. Definitely enjoyed it and will continue to do them (though not necessarily ever single morning)

So far mine is just a plastic trough cooled by the nighttime temps but I was thinking to build it into an insulated box/lid and buy a chiller for it. Buying a giant cooler and a chiller seems like a good option too.

10K on the treadmill. 1:11 the first time and 1:06 the second go round about a 10 days later.

It ain’t fast but getting this big Ol’ boy rollin’ is quite the feat in itself.

I am in day 10 of my new nutrition plan. Down 11lbs, its been interesting lol not too bad of an adjustment. I am still doing cardio in the morning and weights after work. I am staying the same or going up in my weight training so i am not losing strength. Doing this for 4 weeks then reevaluating. If i can drop 20ish LBS in the 4 weeks and not lose any strength in the weight training i will be very happy. I have lightened up on the cardio was doing 18% incline but my coach said to pull the reins back a bit so just doing a slight incline now for the remainder of these 4 weeks.

Yesterday was my first proper run for me in 3 months! After testing positive for COVID in early December have now only felt like getting after it and was happy to push reasonably hard on a 7km race.

Hopefully now I can start getting fit for my planned half marathon (Australia in August) and full marathon (Queenstown in November). Will be focusing on hunting the roar and rut until late June then proper training kicks off.

Fortunately in NZ we don’t have an off season for winter (for both hunting or running) so can do both to suit.
I am also fortunate as I also don't have an off season for winter, rarely do we get snow or freezing temps, if we did I would buy a treadmill!

So, running wise, since my stent was fitted I have done as I was told, I have not over exerted, although I still can't help sprinting the last 100m of a 5k park run, which I do every Saturday.

Monday-Friday I am out hunting over the winter most days, no elevation but the water logged hills are a nightmare at the moment, Garmin says on average I'm doing 15000 steps/day when out hunting, what ever that means?

Good luck with the training for the 1/2 and full marathons, that takes some commitment, good on you.

This morning

Attachments

• IMG_20240307_091417133_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240307_091417133_HDR.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 18
I am also fortunate as I also don't have an off season for winter, rarely do we get snow or freezing temps, if we did I would buy a treadmill!

So, running wise, since my stent was fitted I have done as I was told, I have not over exerted, although I still can't help sprinting the last 100m of a 5k park run, which I do every Saturday.

Monday-Friday I am out hunting over the winter most days, no elevation but the water logged hills are a nightmare at the moment, Garmin says on average I'm doing 15000 steps/day when out hunting, what ever that means?

Good luck with the training for the 1/2 and full marathons, that takes some commitment, good on you.

This morning
Those Monday - Friday hunts will add up very qucikly. Great exercise.

Yesterday I signed up to the Coast to Coast race in Feb 2025, that really is a major training commitment.

Down 6 lbs since we started this thread, which i'll take because I've also been lifting heavy. I've got another 3-4 weeks of heavy lifting before I taper off down to 3 days a week for volume and start ramping up my trail running / hiking in preparation for a race on 5/11. Goal is to skate 3x a week, lift 3x a week, hike 3x and swim after at least two of the lifting sessions April through June. Lots of super early mornings in my future to fit all that in. So far so good on the progress though

Those Monday - Friday hunts will add up very qucikly. Great exercise.

Yesterday I signed up to the Coast to Coast race in Feb 2025, that really is a major training commitment.
You have done that before haven't you?
Is it swimming as well as other activities ?

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back