Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

HTer Fitness Goals '24 Edition

• Thread starter Deleted member 52098
  • Start date
“Hold my beer”

-Every High School Wrestler. Ever.

So I swam from 6th grade through junior year.

Senior year our wrestling team was awesome- legit guys at every weight class except 145, which I could get down to. The guys talked me and one of the RBs of the football team to go out (we did).

We competed for the varsity spot via a wrestle-off with the entire team circling us. Danny would beat me 99 times out of a hundred… but the one time that counted he had pneumonia and I folded him like a napkin. He was traumatized by it and never asked for another chance. We took third at state, and I rode on those coattails the whole damn way. It was a stupid decision to even go out for wrestling but it turned into an amazing experience.

In my opinion, swimming was way harder mentally (equal physically). Wrestling practice had parts of it that were fun- swim practice was three hours a day of staring at a line on the bottom of a pool. The wrestling meets were intense, especially at home- it’s amazing what your body is capable of when you’re in danger of getting pinned in front of all of the girls in your school!

Wrestling is only hard because you guys weren’t allowed to eat
Which part of wrestling?

The 2 hour "optional" practices before school? The running laps during lunch after a hearty meal of steamed broccoli? The 3 mile "warm-up" run before practice? The two hour on the mat practice? Or the two hour after practice run? You make it through all that, and settle into your reward of a bottle Gatorade, a grilled chicken breast, and more steamed broccoli.

My sister still jokes that I would smile up to the first week of wrestling practice, then it wasn't until after the state tournament they'd see me smile again. That includes Christmas and my birthday.

Which part of wrestling?

The 2 hour "optional" practices before school? The running laps during lunch after a hearty meal of steamed broccoli? The 3 mile "warm-up" run before practice? The two hour on the mat practice? Or the two hour after practice run? You make it through all that, and settle into your reward of a bottle Gatorade, a grilled chicken breast, and more steamed broccoli.

My sister still jokes that I would smile up to the first week of wrestling practice, then it wasn't until after the state tournament they'd see me smile again. That includes Christmas and my birthday.

meanwhile we'd all sit in the bleachers after morning swim practice and crush 2 bagels with cream cheese and a bottle of chocolate milk from the cafeteria, then, for those of us that 2 off periods in a row, we'd drive up to buffalo wild wings on tuesdays for buy one get one and eat like 40 chicken wings and french fries for lucnh, then we'd come back for after school practice and i'd get home and drink about 21 oz of whole milk and have 3 plates of pork chops with mashed potatoes for dinner. then after saturday morning practice there were about 5 of us that would go to waffle house and crush a legitimate 4300 calorie breakfast, then go home sleep for a few hours, wake up crush some toaster strudels and milk for an early lunch.

and that was just in attempt to not lose weight lol

Hey All, haven’t checked in for awhile. Started my hardcore weightless efforts after returning home from a Thanksgiving 2022 trip with the wife. Felt like all I did was eat and drink and feel miserable. Was always an athletic fat guy. Like the 275lb nose guard who ran a sub 5 second 40, an 8 minute mile, and could dunk a basketball.

All of that doesn’t serve you well as an adult. So turning 40 in 2023 told me I had to get on it. I’m down a legit 50lbs since Christmas 2022.

I also did an Inbody Analysis in February 23 and then again over the weekend. I’ve lost 33lb of fat and put on 6lb of muscle since then.

If you’ve never done an Inbody Analysis they are worth your time. Their website will give you a list of places that have them and you can usually get a test for $20. It gives you a full breakdown of fat, muscle, water, skeletal matter and even shows it broken down by leg, leg, arm, arm, and trunk. Will also give you your Basic Metabolic Rate so you know exactly how much to eat.

I want to drop another 40lb in 2024. Have started running again. A world class sinus infection has really slowed me down the last few weeks but I’m well enough to start jogging and lifting this week.

Good luck to you all guys. As stated weight loss is simple but not easy. The old school mindset of calories in calories out isn’t always true. It’s so much more complicated. Like why do skinny people have a higher count of L. Gasseri bacteria in their gut? Why does my buddy eat me under the table, hasn’t lifted a weight or ran a mile in 20 years, doesn’t eat “green stuff,” and sits behind a desk for a living and is 42 years old get to have a six pack?

Good luck to you all guys. As stated weight loss is simple but not easy. The old school mindset of calories in calories out isn’t always true. It’s so much more complicated. Like why do skinny people have a higher count of L. Gasseri bacteria in their gut? Why does my buddy eat me under the table, hasn’t lifted a weight or ran a mile in 20 years, doesn’t eat “green stuff,” and sits behind a desk for a living and is 42 years old get to have a six pack?

like you said, it's so much more complicated than that, those skinny guys get to enjoy not "looking" unhealthy. but i bet you could biopsy the livers of a lot of guys like your buddy who eat a ton of sugar and processed food, don't work out, and remain skinny and find they look just like the 300 pound guy's liver who also eats a ton of sugar and processed food, and doesn't work out

Last edited:
So after reading a ton about them and researching like a fool for the past few weeks, I finally got a DEXA scan today (first read about them in Outlive). Essentially it's an 11-15 min scan of your body for bone density, lean muscle mass, fat, water, skeletal muscle, etc. Pretty flipping neat and super affordable for a cash based procedure ($80 per scan). The plan is to do it quarterly to track my progress and as a way to worry less about the scale and more about body composition, even though fat loss is a key driver of success for me this year.

The first results were a bit eye opening and a painful reminder of disappointment of how bad I let things get while dealing with some nerve damage in my left leg. Needless to say, have a ton of work ahead of me, but stoked to see how the results play out here over the year.

Too embarrassed to post the results, but will update in early May on the net change (% & lbs) in the key figures (body weight, lean mass, body fat). Can't really get much worse 🤣🤦🏻‍♂️ so should be a fun experiment.

like you said, it's so much more complicated than that, those skinny guys get to enjoy not "looking" unhealthy. but i bet you could biopsy the livers of a lot of guys like your buddy who eat a ton of sugar and processed food, don't work out, and remain skinny and find they look just like the 300 pound guy's liver who also eats a ton of sugar and processed food, doesn't work out, and remains skinny.
Leave my liver out of this

like you said, it's so much more complicated than that, those skinny guys get to enjoy not "looking" unhealthy. but i bet you could biopsy the livers of a lot of guys like your buddy who eat a ton of sugar and processed food, don't work out, and remain skinny and find they look just like the 300 pound guy's liver who also eats a ton of sugar and processed food, doesn't work out, and remains skinny.
Aka the "skinny fat" crowd.

So after reading a ton about them and researching like a fool for the past few weeks, I finally got a DEXA scan today (first read about them in Outlive). Essentially it's an 11-15 min scan of your body for bone density, lean muscle mass, fat, water, skeletal muscle, etc. Pretty flipping neat and super affordable for a cash based procedure ($80 per scan). The plan is to do it quarterly to track my progress and as a way to worry less about the scale and more about body composition, even though fat loss is a key driver of success for me this year.

The first results were a bit eye opening and a painful reminder of disappointment of how bad I let things get while dealing with some nerve damage in my left leg. Needless to say, have a ton of work ahead of me, but stoked to see how the results play out here over the year.

Too embarrassed to post the results, but will update in early May on the net change (% & lbs) in the key figures (body weight, lean mass, body fat). Can't really get much worse 🤣🤦🏻‍♂️ so should be a fun experiment.
I had one done last summer in Denver, along with the metabolic test. Surprsingly, my Garmin scale was spot on with all of its measurments compared to the DEXA. Super cool to do, with a lot of great information. Especially about the fat around your organs and differences in muscle mass on each side of your body. I will probably do another one down there this summer.

Also, I have pretty bad nerve damage in my right leg to go along with 2 back surgeries. We face a few of the same battles in life. Ill be watching for your update.

I want to lift less, , muay thai more, not get hurt.
I spent 30 years hunting big game in Alaska. We typically limited our pack outs to 60 lbs per trip. I know too many that now suffer from back pain that packed 100+lbs as youngsters. It took me 3.5 days once to solo pack a moose 3 miles out, but not bad with 60lb loads.

At age 67 I work mostly on endurance. Every other day I go on a long early morning Montana hike, increasing the duration gradually. I wear the same boots and pack I hunt in. Have not had a blister in 40 years.

The other days I do lunges,core, upper body exercises first thing in the morning, then afternòon cross country ski or take one of the labs and explore potential new spots for hunting birds next year.

Back in Alaska (summers) I do lots of mountain biking because the mosquitoes cant catch me or hike alpine ridges where wind helps keep mosquitoes down.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NTSS
Back