How do you fund your Hunting?

I spend a fair bit on hunting so funding these trips is an ongoing effort for me and topic of discussion in my house :)

My day job is a contract IT project manager at the company that operates the electrical grid. And I also invest in, and manage, property which takes a lot of my time when not hunting.

I'm a glorified garbageman. I'm a hazardous waste broker/transporter. To fund hunting, I hunt locally, with stuff I already own, and with money my boss pays me for the time I'll never get back. My wife and I have an agreement that I bank a little bit of money all year long for my hunting trips, and she takes it out of the safe when she wants a new pair of shoes.

I was shocked at how much money I had left every month when I limited how much I eat out and stopped going to the bar. Gotta thank my fiancé for that one☺️

I’m sure a lot of guys have the money but spending habits hinder what they have left for getting out there. Pay off a credit card and that frees up a chunk for new gear. Keep your truck longer before trading up or never trade up. So many things people do that set themselves back.

It’s not always how much you make....Many times it’s how you spend it.

I run the tool room for a welding shop at a local career college. I have 6 part time helpers that I keep busy, I manage all of the inventory and ordering in addition to maintaining and repairing all the equipment in the shop. We are currently training about 240 students between the three class schedules. I am currently job hunting, specifically trying to get into something federal so I can buy my 14 years back from my military time towards retirement. The wife has a good career so we don't worry about funds too much. I squirrel away what I can for tags and trips.

While reading everyone's adventures outside the respective state called home, I'm amazed! I enjoy the heck out of the stories and would like to make a trek to Alaska... Caribou/Moose.
Annual leave provides a good amount of time for myself though family is first on that list. Anniversary, holidays, etc... Somewhere, I squeeze in a 5-7 day elk/deer hunt, a spring bear hunt for 3-5 days. Now added a 3-5 day wolf hunt and I am tapped out! Of course my RDO's I get out for a few days here and there for this or that hunt though I find those are mostly filled with family events.

This doesn't touch fishing! Haha!

How you guys and gals do it is beyond me though happy you do. Some amazing adventures!

Edit: oops! I forgot my 5 to 7 days dedicated to archery elk as well.
Overall probably 15 days to elk and deer maybe 10 days for bear and 10 to 15 to Wolf. That's AL and RDO combined.

Signed / Avg. Joe Hunter. 😉

Last edited:
Construction Project Manager for a Managed IT Services company, currently devoted to a project updating drive through menu boards at QSR's.
Small cattle operation on the side and a part time photography gig in equine events.

Married into a good family too!

Every single one of you fine Americans fund my hunting addiction by paying your taxes. Thanks by the way!

I help people pay as little tax as possible. Now this post is making me feel bad :unsure: :D

I work at a relatively small CPA firm. So the money is not as good as a big firm/company, but it is good enough and flexibility outside of Jan-April for hunting and fishing is great.

Manage a grocery store. Summer is our busy time so it’s easy for me to sneak away for hunting in the fall and leave work early for bear hunting in the spring. I only live half hour from the lake so can go fishing after work in the summer pretty easy.

Electrical Engineer, very recently a Professional Engineer (still a little in shock about it). Currently in Water and wastewater consulting.

I live modestly, without kids which pays for all my fun.

Electrical Engineer, very recently a Professional Engineer (still a little in shock about it). Currently in Water and wastewater consulting.

I live modestly, without kids which pays for all my fun.
...it’s a glamorous job description of the guy who also cleans the bathrooms.
Hey, we have the same job! :ROFLMAO:

I'm in the construction industry also, working for a small water/wastewater engineering company that started two other small companies (one for field services/contracting and one for pipe fabrication) and now I still make the same amount that I did before but I manage the office and everything administrative for all three of them. And yes, I do some estimating and also clean the bathrooms. It's great! :LOL:

I own a little drywall company where I specialize in disaster jobs that money making drywall companies won't touch. I spend everyday desperately trying to not have employees, and wondering why plumbers and electricians are professional liars on scheduling.

There's always patch jobs that i take from time to time and put the proceeds in an old berrys bullets box. My 2nd boy is getting ready to start hunters safety so it looks like more patches👍

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back