How do you fund your Hunting?

rjthehunter

What does everyone do for work around here? Thought it'd be an interesting thread to see what everyone does!

I'm currently working as a Project Manager/Estimator for a subcontractor. We do dirt work, concrete, and underground work! I've been with the company for about a year now and am finishing up my degree in construction management this spring!

Traveling mechanic on the railroad. Work away from home 5-6 days per week to fund my hobbies. Been on 5 years.

I have a gofundme account. Its called a job and waking up every day and completing it. lol I look forward to the day where I am not having to do it every again.

Oil and Gas industry.

I am a forester for the corps of engineers. Been involved in DoD natural resource management for a long time now. At 1 time or another I have managed hunting programs, a moderate sized wildland fire program, overall forestry program etc.... Now I specialize in timber sales

I try to compute/guess how much it'll cost to complete our scopes in the finish section of construction documents, add as much as I can to it & still be awarded, and try not to be wrong.

Last edited:
I own a bowhunting products company and I get hired (contracted) to work for other bowhunting companies. Ive spent much of my life in the engineering field and most working on medical devices. Most of my patents are for medical devices. Ive made some good investments, own some land with oil wells out west and I married a good woman.

As a traveling bowhunter, I get to take my bow all over Gods creation to slip broadheads through critters. Im always testing new designs and products. I pay for my hunts by using the hunts to test gear.

Because I own a bowhunting products company, I am tasked with putting down animals to verify and validate certain items. Killing critters is a must as live animal trials is where the rubber meets the road. Waiting for a season to open normally does not fit the strict time frame constraints of product releases so I travel far and wide with bow in hand to test bowhunting products. It might be on public land, private land, guided, outfitted, no fence, low fence, high fence. It matters not. I dont get hung up on such things as it relates to this sort of work. Some beople get all emotional and fret over other people killing stuff in a manner they dot agree with. I dont suffer fools very well and not associate with negative complainers. Show me your friends and I will show you your future.

All the hunts I travel to are educational, enjoyable and challenging in their own regard. This sort of thing will upset liberals. I wont care. there is the option here to use the ignore feature so they dont have to see it.

Bowhunting products are brought to market and you would want them to be tested on live critters. You would want wound channels and blood trails tested on live game. Rests, sights, quivers, etc. likewise should have the rigors of being field tested. If some think those trials only occur after waiting years for a draw hunt, they would be disappointed to know the truth.

Last year the live weight of all my bow killed game was 4,430 lbs. This year Im currently at 3,225 lbs. If I only did trials on my local WI deer and the few tags I get, it take a very long time to validate a design. I think folks here are adults and will understand. If not, again, there is the ignore feature.

When Im not on a traveling bow hunt, I get to work 7 days a week and 16 hours a day but since I enjoy what I do, its not really like work.

I try to compute how much it'll cost to complete our scopes in the finish section of construction documents, add as much as I can to it & still be awarded, and try not to be wrong.
I've been working on a couple of those today! I'm in the Structural drawings though. Sounds like you're in finishes. I imagine your takeoffs take a bit longer than mine!

I've been working on a couple of those today! I'm in the Structural drawings though. Sounds like you're in finishes. I imagine your takeoffs take a bit longer than mine!

Depends on the size and complexity of the components spec'd but the labor comes down to intuitive 'gut'....as does the mark-up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back