How do you fund your Hunting?

Management at International Paper ( Temple-Inland) is my main job...(27 yrs and counting)... I work as a Night Manager at Stock and Field (farm store) a couple evenings a week ( 8yrs now)...I cut and sell wood to campers and canoers at Shades State park and also mow a couple yards ( 3-4 acres). I definitely stay busy!! lol

Registered Nurse working three 12 hour shifts a week, working on the farm and jobs on the side. I've began starting to put aside anywhere from $50-75 dollars a month to allow for purchasing of tags in the next year or two to states out west for elk hunting.

WVmike ....Don't forget Wyoming points are available now. A point or two can make the difference in a good hunting unit.
Thanks for the info. I was looking at purchasing a MT point for next year's application and I haven't looked into the WY point. Is WY hard to draw as a nonresident? Whether it's next year or the year after it will be my first elk hunt. I'm willing to apply anywhere to gain experience as long as I'm not driving all the way to the Pacific lol.

I do both. I use the special archery season to give me a chance to familiarize myself with the terrain and get some scouting in.
Nothing beats on the ground scouting but that is my issue with hunting in the western states since I reside in WV. I'm becoming good friends with OnX.

Nothing beats on the ground scouting but that is my issue with hunting in the western states since I reside in WV. I'm becoming good friends with OnX.
Scouting pays off though some will question that. It is true that elk move when hunting pressure starts. But if you know the terrain and can find all the good feeding areas and sanctuaries away from the roads you can strategize a bit and position yourself to make pressure work in your favor. I spent a bunch of days hiking in the area where I am hunting this year mostly just to know the terrain.

To pay for tags I just started an Only Fans page...should cover the cost of a Whitetail B tag annually

Also apparently my 4000th post while drinking beer hoping it'll cool down so my hunt in the morning reveals at least 1 elk

Last edited:
Retired military
Collect 60% VA disability
Going to School online VA Vocational rehab (BA in Environment Science)
Work full time at the GM dealer in town as a Service Advisor

Sometimes I get to hunt or fish.

Was the Operations Manager for an electric utility, just pulled the plug after nearly three decades. The last few years was filled with wildfires coming into town, an all-time snow storm, and a freak hailstorm that had me lining out line crews from all over the state to help rebuild our infrastructure.... thought that the man above was trying to tell me it’s time to concentrate less on work and more on hunting so I agreed!

....will see how this fixed income thing pans out with tags & licenses lol

LOL @MarvB now you give me justification for retiring. The man above told me to retire fulltime so I can do all my hunting and fishing unhindered. I now have 16 days and a wakeup and intend to fill up as much of the time as possible with hunting and being out in the sticks.

I hunt within my means. Which means I do it on a shoestring. I plan and figure ways to make a bucket list happen. Been planning some hunts since I was 13, that's where my head has always been.

As for the money, I've been a taxidermist since I was 12. It's the only thing I know how to do. As a teenager I would work the summers with my dad doing home remodeling and repairs.
In addition to my primary income I also buy used backpacking gear at swap meets/flea markets and flip them on eBay. I keep the best for myself. The most I've made in a year flipping gear is 20k but it usually is around 5k.
Also I guide duck hunters for specific species that are on their bucket list.

LOL @MarvB now you give me justification for retiring. The man above told me to retire fulltime so I can do all my hunting and fishing unhindered. I now have 16 days and a wakeup and intend to fill up as much of the time as possible with hunting and being out in the sticks.

Really thought I had a few more years left but when you know you know!
Best of luck to you on day 17 forward!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back