Flying with firearms: Oversize baggage fee?

Bomber

Have you been charged an oversize baggage fee when flying with a gun case?

I can't find a case that fits my rifle and stays under the size limits that incur oversize baggage fees(62" linear inches, length+width+height). I've never flown with a rifle before, so I don't know if the airlines treat your gun cases using the same size restrictions they use for standard checked bags. The case, with a rifle, ammo and spotting scope, will be under 50lbs, but certainly oversize.

Edit: I'll be flying with Southwest Airlines, by the way.

I fly lots with my gun. NEVER been charged a fee for "oversize". Maybe I'm lucky.

NOTE: never had them measure it either,

good luck to all
the dog

I think it is treated as a 'special item' and so doesn't need to fit within the 62''....or so i believe!
Cheers
Richard

Never with a gun, but twice with a bow. Would use the same case for my rifle. Haven't been charged one yet.

I think it is treated as a 'special item' and so doesn't need to fit within the 62''....or so i believe!
Cheers
Richard

That's what they told me. I took my double-rifle case with me on Southwest a couple weeks ago, no extra charge.

Excellent, that's great news. Thank you for the info! This helps me budget out the trip.

Follow up question for those of you who've flown to hunt:

Have you had any optics damaged or misaligned while in checked baggage? I have plenty of room in the gun case for my spotting scope, binos and rangefinder. I'm trying to determine whether I should stow them in the carry-on transport them in the gun case. The case is a heavy duty, Pelican-like model, with three 2" layers of foam.

Last edited:
Gun cases fall under "sporting" equipment and are exempt for oversized charges. Check the airline regs though.

I usually put optics in in my carry-on.

I never put my optics and camera gear in checked baggage. It will get stolen sooner or later, guaranteed. CARRY-ON ONLY

I've never paid a baggage fee for a weapon, but had to pay a fee for a cooler of frozen pheasants. I think all the airlines now charge for any baggage, except my favorite airline (Southwest)

I only fly Southwest. I put my rifle or shotgun, depending on the quarry, binos, gps, and ammo in my gun case. I've never been charged a fee. If I only had a small amount of meat like the above mentioned pheasants, I would've just put it in my checked bag. I do this with turkey breast and have never had an issue and don't get charged for it either.

I love flying Southwest.

Firearm case

I never put my optics and camera gear in checked baggage. It will get stolen sooner or later, guaranteed. CARRY-ON ONLY

The firearm case should be locked with a NON TSA lock that only you have the key too, if items get stolen from the case then someone cut your lock, or the case is of poor quality and someone was able to defeat the locking system (read cheap plastic case.) Locks keep honest people honest, I carry my other high end hunting stuff. My only recommendation is to avoid flying thru DC, and if you can't, make sure you don't touch the gun case if you get delayed and have to spend the night, have the airline hold the case for you. Hope this helps.

OK, hot off the press, as in my experience with Delta at Bozeman yesterday.
I had provided 2 TSA locks on my Peli case (as above non TSA locks are fine) but i was informed that was not acceptable as there were still 2 points that could be locked that weren't so i has to purchase 2 more locks, the joke was when i collected my case at Heathrow airport, my 2 original locks were missing!
Cheers
Richard

Back